Using qemu to run WinNT in Ubuntu Linux

The place to post if you need help or advice

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

Using qemu to run WinNT in Ubuntu Linux

Postby GrumpyBob » Sat Apr 23, 2005 6:44 am

I am using Ubuntu Hoary. I've installed qemu 0.6.1-1ubuntu1 via synaptic. I've browsed aroud the web and found some instructions for how to use it to run Win2k in Debian.

I can create a blank file for qemu to install windows in:
dd of=hd.img bs=1024 seek=2000000 count=0

Then I try to install from a WinNT4.0 CD that I have:
sudo qemu -boot d -cdrom /dev/cdrom -hda hd.img

This seems to set things off quite well, it checks the system, I alter the keyboard and mouse settings, and it formats the virtual hard drive in hd.img. Then it copies the installation files to hd.img in the WINNT directory. After doing this, it tells me to remove the CD and restart by pressing enter. I can remove the CD with some difficulty, but the qemu window complains it can't find the CD-ROM, and seizes up. If I hit enter without removing the CD, the whole procedure just repeats.

Any ideas what I'm doing wrong? (If further info needed, I am happy to supply)

I have one or two apps in Windows that I need. I have Win4Lin 5 but cannot run this with the 2.6.10 kernel, as I've been unsuccessful in patching it. I can run Win4Lin in a patched 2.6.8 kernel, so running Win via qemu is just a convenience.

Robert
GrumpyBob

RE: Using qemu to run WinNT in Ubuntu Linux

Postby Nobber » Tue Apr 26, 2005 9:52 am

I would try making an ISO of your WinNT CD (use k3b or just do "cp /dev/cdrom winnt.iso") and using that instead:

qemu -boot d -cdrom winnt.iso -hda hd.img

Then when the time comes to "eject" the CD, type "eject cdrom" in the qemu monitor.
Nobber
LXF regular

Postby Guest » Fri Jun 10, 2005 1:23 pm

To make an iso image of the NT CD do the following as the root user;

dd if=/dev/cdrom of=/tmp/WinNT.iso

Postby youlikeicecream » Fri Jun 10, 2005 2:20 pm

Have you tried crossover office ? It might support your applications, it installed Dreamweaver MX, PowerDVD, and CloneDVD2 for me (although only two of those actually run properly)

Mike :)
youlikeicecream
LXF regular

Re: Using qemu to run WinNT in Ubuntu Linux

Postby forkart » Wed Jul 20, 2005 8:00 am

GrumpyBob wrote:I am using Ubuntu Hoary. I've installed qemu 0.6.1-1ubuntu1 via synaptic. I've browsed aroud the web and found some instructions for how to use it to run Win2k in Debian.

I can create a blank file for qemu to install windows in:
dd of=hd.img bs=1024 seek=2000000 count=0

Then I try to install from a WinNT4.0 CD that I have:
sudo qemu -boot d -cdrom /dev/cdrom -hda hd.img

This seems to set things off quite well, it checks the system, I alter the keyboard and mouse settings, and it formats the virtual hard drive in hd.img. Then it copies the installation files to hd.img in the WINNT directory. After doing this, it tells me to remove the CD and restart by pressing enter. I can remove the CD with some difficulty, but the qemu window complains it can't find the CD-ROM, and seizes up. If I hit enter without removing the CD, the whole procedure just repeats.

Any ideas what I'm doing wrong? (If further info needed, I am happy to supply)

I have one or two apps in Windows that I need. I have Win4Lin 5 but cannot run this with the 2.6.10 kernel, as I've been unsuccessful in patching it. I can run Win4Lin in a patched 2.6.8 kernel, so running Win via qemu is just a convenience.

Robert

I would like to use magiciso to make iso image. It works great.
http://www.magiciso.com/
forkart

RE: Re: Using qemu to run WinNT in Ubuntu Linux

Postby nelz » Wed Jul 20, 2005 8:12 am

This doesn't look like it will run on Ubuntu... Why bother anyway, cp or dd will do the job fine and are already installed.
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." (Albert Einstein)
nelz
Site admin

Return to Help!