Gentoo--Wow!! Well hello LFS

The place to post if you need help or advice

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

Gentoo--Wow!! Well hello LFS

Postby niceguy » Fri Jul 08, 2005 2:11 pm

Thanks to all (especially Nelz) for the help received while installing gentoo. Now that I have gentoo up and running I asked myself where do I go from here? Doing a stage 1 build is a real eye opener! Last night someone mentioned LFS(Linux from scratch)! Did a quick search on the web for it and found info that has got me interested in this area. I know its not an easy thing to tackle ...just yet, but I intend to try it out. Any infomation in this topic that would help me with a 'gentle introduction' of the basics is welcomed. Thanks in advances.
niceguy

RE: Gentoo--Wow!! Well hello LFS

Postby A-Wing » Fri Jul 08, 2005 2:16 pm

You can start by assassinating Daniel Robbins (Gentoo founder) for defecting to Microsoft :)
Andrew Hutchings, Linux Jedi
http://www.a-wing.co.uk
A-Wing
LXF regular

Postby niceguy » Sat Jul 09, 2005 10:31 am

LFS book by Gerard Beekmans looks good, but is there any other source of knowledge out there?
And I agree Daniel Robbins is a traitor!! :lol:
niceguy

Postby nelz » Mon Jul 18, 2005 12:29 pm

The best way to learn Linux is to find a distro and stick to it. By distro-hopping all you learn is lots of different ways to install Linux, and very little about actually using and administering it.
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." (Albert Einstein)
nelz
Site admin

Re: RE: Gentoo--Wow!! Well hello LFS

Postby jimsaku » Mon Jul 18, 2005 3:50 pm

nelz wrote:The best way to learn Linux is to find a distro and stick to it. By distro-hopping all you learn is lots of different ways to install Linux, and very little about actually using and administering it.

agreed. and since you never have to re-install gentoo once it's on there, you never have to worry about doing the installation part again at all (unless things go really badly badly wrong) :)
there's no such thing as 2

resist cimpulsory id
jimsaku

Return to Help!