Linux Format forums Forum Index Linux Format forums
Help, discussion, magazine feedback and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Mandriva 2008.0 released

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Linux Format forums Forum Index -> Announcements
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rhakios

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 9:05 pm    Post subject: Mandriva 2008.0 released Reply with quote

I must say I'm surprised no one else has bothered to mention this. You can find the official notice on the club website here.

Not much to get excited about really. Some mirrors still haven't updated, so configuring updates can be problematic. The first boot registration/survey thingy doesn't seem capable of recognising existing membership (albeit aluminium) of the Mandriva Club. Hence I didn't bother with the rest of their survey either.

Cosmetically, it looks a lot better than some of their recent efforts. You can get rid of the stupidly large menu button, but then you're left with a silly looking star symbol, needs more hacking to be got rid of. The default theme in KDE doesn't look as bad as last time.

Getting vmware tools installed is interesting, for me it required editing the Makefile and running various make options. Ho hum, Mandriva still underwhelms me.
wyliecoyoteuk
LXF regular

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 10:06 pm    Post subject: RE: Mandriva 2008.0 released Reply with quote

Bring back Gael!

spottedcat
LXF regular

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 10:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Mandriva 2008.0 released Reply with quote

Rhakios wrote:
Ho hum, Mandriva still underwhelms me.

It's now more than 24 hours after you posted and the lack of response suggests that everyone feels as you do. Interesting that not even the scaly Wiganite has commented. Perhaps he's been so busy breaking and reinstalling an earlier version that he hasn't noticed that this one has been released.

Heh, heh! Twisted Evil
Rhakios

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 10:40 pm    Post subject: RE: Re: Mandriva 2008.0 released Reply with quote

I think it more likely that the stingy so-and-so can't afford to download it with his miserable download limit. If he'd stump up for a decent ISP, then there'd be no problem. Still, he hasn't come begging for a DVD, so perhaps he's waiting for it to appear on a cover disc.
flashdangerpants
LXF regular

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2007 5:54 pm    Post subject: RE: Re: Mandriva 2008.0 released Reply with quote

i'm running mandriva 2008, the word that springs to mind is "adequate". except when i turn my consideration to the metisse 3d desktop, when a new word springs to mind (which rhymes with 'sprite').
Rhakios

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2007 8:54 pm    Post subject: RE: Re: Mandriva 2008.0 released Reply with quote

Perhaps they should try that as their new brand name: Mandriva 2008 Perfectly Adequate Pack.

I have seen some people lauding its capability to set up compiz-fusion. Does that work okay? Obviously I'm not able to try that out under VMWare.
flashdangerpants
LXF regular

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 2:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes, it installs nvidia drivers out of the box and basic compiz-fusion set up takes about 2 or 3 mouse clicks. so in that respect we may award them a mark of adequate++
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Linux Format forums Forum Index -> Announcements All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: