Mandriva 2008.0 released

Community announcements - software releases, LUG meetings etc.

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

Mandriva 2008.0 released

Postby Rhakios » Thu Oct 11, 2007 8:05 pm

I must say I'm surprised no one else has bothered to mention this. You can find the official notice on the club website here.

Not much to get excited about really. Some mirrors still haven't updated, so configuring updates can be problematic. The first boot registration/survey thingy doesn't seem capable of recognising existing membership (albeit aluminium) of the Mandriva Club. Hence I didn't bother with the rest of their survey either.

Cosmetically, it looks a lot better than some of their recent efforts. You can get rid of the stupidly large menu button, but then you're left with a silly looking star symbol, needs more hacking to be got rid of. The default theme in KDE doesn't look as bad as last time.

Getting vmware tools installed is interesting, for me it required editing the Makefile and running various make options. Ho hum, Mandriva still underwhelms me.
Bye, Rhakios
Rhakios

RE: Mandriva 2008.0 released

Postby wyliecoyoteuk » Thu Oct 11, 2007 9:06 pm

Bring back Gael!
The sig between the asterisks is so cool that only REALLY COOL people can even see it!

wyliecoyoteuk
LXF regular

Re: Mandriva 2008.0 released

Postby spottedcat » Fri Oct 12, 2007 9:20 pm

Rhakios wrote:Ho hum, Mandriva still underwhelms me.

It's now more than 24 hours after you posted and the lack of response suggests that everyone feels as you do. Interesting that not even the scaly Wiganite has commented. Perhaps he's been so busy breaking and reinstalling an earlier version that he hasn't noticed that this one has been released.

Heh, heh! :twisted:
spottedcat
LXF regular

RE: Re: Mandriva 2008.0 released

Postby Rhakios » Fri Oct 12, 2007 9:40 pm

I think it more likely that the stingy so-and-so can't afford to download it with his miserable download limit. If he'd stump up for a decent ISP, then there'd be no problem. Still, he hasn't come begging for a DVD, so perhaps he's waiting for it to appear on a cover disc.
Bye, Rhakios
Rhakios

Postby flashdangerpants » Sat Oct 13, 2007 4:54 pm

i'm running mandriva 2008, the word that springs to mind is "adequate". except when i turn my consideration to the metisse 3d desktop, when a new word springs to mind (which rhymes with 'sprite').
flashdangerpants
LXF regular

Postby Rhakios » Sat Oct 13, 2007 7:54 pm

Perhaps they should try that as their new brand name: Mandriva 2008 Perfectly Adequate Pack.

I have seen some people lauding its capability to set up compiz-fusion. Does that work okay? Obviously I'm not able to try that out under VMWare.
Bye, Rhakios
Rhakios

Postby flashdangerpants » Sun Oct 14, 2007 1:14 am

yes, it installs nvidia drivers out of the box and basic compiz-fusion set up takes about 2 or 3 mouse clicks. so in that respect we may award them a mark of adequate++
flashdangerpants
LXF regular

Return to Announcements