Linux Format forums Forum Index Linux Format forums
Help, discussion, magazine feedback and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Enabling NTFS-volume writing in Mandrake 10.1

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Philosophicles

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 1:57 pm    Post subject: Enabling NTFS-volume writing in Mandrake 10.1 Reply with quote

I installed Mandrake 10.1 around a week ago, the main purpose being to enable me to recover my Windows partition, which was (and is) suffering from a registry hive corruption. I have details on solving that problem, but it involves moving things around on the drive, etc. Anyway, luckily I had a spare partition ready for linux anyway, so went ahead and installed. I knew I'd have to play around with things to get Mandrake writing to the windows partition (NTFS formatted); I have already recompiled my kernel to add NTFS write-support to the build, and removed the "ro" command in /etc/fstab, for the windows partition, which is mounted at /mnt/windows/ . I can read-access the partition fine, and have done a back-up of everything I don't want to lose, just in case.

After all this, the partition was still mounted read-only; chmod +w /mnt/windows gives the following error: "chmod: changing permissions of 'windows': Read-only file system". Clearly, I must be missing something, but my only linux-able real-life friend is stumped. Can anybody give me any pointers?
towy71

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you state:
Quote:
and removed the "ro" command in /etc/fstab

so did you replace it with rw,user?

googling found this Wink

http://www.speculation.org/garrick/win_fsfaq.txt

you have been warned Rolling Eyes
Dick
crispibits
LXF regular

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I remember correctly, Recovery Is Possible enables you to write to NTFS. It's a mini distro that uses the native Windows ntfs.dll (or whatever gubbins they use). I have never used it myself, but a quick google for Recovery Is Possible might do the trick...
Philosophicles

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, thanks for that towy71. No, I didn't replace "ro" with anything, which may well be the answer, but considering that FAQ, I might just do some more detailed research before actually trying that. As I said, I've backed up everything I actually really want, and then some, but re-installing and configuring XP to my exact tastes is not what I want to spend this lovely hot summer doing Wink.

Configuring linux, on the other hand, I am perfectly happy to spend the summer doing Very Happy

Oh, and FYI, that FAQ *is* more than 6 months old. Mandrakelinux/Mandriva may well have fixed NTFS-writing already; I intend to find out right away...
A-Wing
LXF regular

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I could be wrong but as far as I know the NTFS rw only lets you modify files to the same size, not delete, increase size of file, etc...
I haven't looked at the drivers in a while though as I haven't required them,
Philosophicles

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Recovery Is Possible doesn't seem to be very keen on write-support, only read access. A-Wing, think you may be right as well, from some docs I was reading about this problem elsewhere.

Thanks for the help anyway guys, I've gotten a few more ideas from IRC, but feel free to add anything else you think of. I'll be sure to check back now and again Wink
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Linux Format forums Forum Index -> Help! All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: