you don't get a lot of windows questions in here?

Help and discussion about non-Linux operating systems

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

should we scrap this forum and start an ubuntu one?

yes i love ubuntu it's as popular as windows
No votes
i love ubuntu
9%
ubuntu is the best o/s ever
27%
no, we should be able to discuss all flavours of ubuntu
No votes
ubuntu,ubuntu,ubuntu{yawn} ubuntu
18%
no there are other types of linux and other o/s's
45%

Total votes : 11

RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: you don

Postby pootman » Fri Aug 24, 2007 9:29 am

I think this is a great idea. You'd think with a distro as popular as Ubuntu someone would have started a forum already, get it started quick before someone steals the idea!

Mike!
To the Batcave!
This signature has been produced using traditional writing methods on behalf of The Campaign For Real Slogans.
To enjoy this signature at its best, adjust your monitor's resolution to 1024x768.
pootman
LXF regular

Postby towy71 » Fri Aug 24, 2007 9:45 am

Dutch_Master wrote:Mwoah, don't take it too hard. Cheer up ol'chap, you live over a 1,000 miles away from 1sf (troll), I'm not: just across some shallow waters.... :cry:
St Cloud MN is halfway across the USA so I would have thought the distance between there and Wigan would be nearer 4500 miles ;-)
still looking for that door into summer
towy71

Postby nelz » Fri Aug 24, 2007 11:03 am

The last time I looked, 4,500 was over a 1,000 - but it's still not far enough :(
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." (Albert Einstein)
nelz
Site admin

Postby candy » Fri Aug 24, 2007 11:32 am

As you do get some doing dual boot, is there a problem in having a 'Other OS' section? If not, why change?
Candy

A girl in a million
candy

Postby Dutch_Master » Fri Aug 24, 2007 11:38 am

So true Nelz... That's why I proposed to send it on a one-way trip to the sun. Didn't say it had to be ours ;) According to Roger Leloup there's a galaxy some 6 billion lightyears from here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yoko_Tsuno and http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vinean :)
Dutch_Master
LXF regular

Postby towy71 » Fri Aug 24, 2007 11:53 am

nelz wrote:The last time I looked, 4,500 was over a 1,000 - but it's still not far enough :(
It's not very far between Warrington and Wigan, poor you must be able to catch a nasty whiff when the wind's in the wrong direction :P
still looking for that door into summer
towy71

Postby kilikopele » Sun Sep 02, 2007 2:57 am

towy71 wrote:
Dutch_Master wrote:Mwoah, don't take it too hard. Cheer up ol'chap, you live over a 1,000 miles away from 1sf (troll), I'm not: just across some shallow waters.... :cry:
St Cloud MN is halfway across the USA so I would have thought the distance between there and Wigan would be nearer 4500 miles ;-)

You know, that is a comforting thought. 4500 miles from 1sf (troll).

Now for the rest of you, there's beer in the fridge, 24-hour wireless, and a semi-comfortable couch set aside for visitors.
kilikopele
LXF regular

Postby 1slipperyfish » Sun Sep 02, 2007 2:41 pm

great when can i come round? and i think we'll need quite a few more beers :D
paul
edit: i also dual boot but i think that world would benefit from an ubuntu forum after all it is the ubuntu magazine forum :roll:
paul
i am a follower of the culture

1slipperyfish
Forum Jester

Postby Dutch_Master » Sun Sep 02, 2007 2:58 pm

1) you're not old enough to travel abroad, especially on your own...
2) presenting alcoholic drinks to minors is a serious offense in the US
3) add 1) + 2) and: no, you're not getting a beer...

But we'll set you up with another beer: click! (for those smarter then 1sf (troll): translate the Dutch word beer into English ;))
Dutch_Master
LXF regular

Postby 1slipperyfish » Sun Sep 02, 2007 3:08 pm

Dutch_Master wrote:1) you're not old enough to travel abroad, especially on your own...
2) presenting alcoholic drinks to minors is a serious offense in the US
3) add 1) + 2) and: no, you're not getting a beer...

But we'll set you up with another beer: click! (for those smarter then 1sf (troll): translate the Dutch word beer into English ;))

i am actually in my mid-late-twenties so i can travel on my own and drink beer 8) and let these minors buy their own beer i think they do a great job and it's not one i'd want but still let them buy their own :x
paul

1slipperyfish
Forum Jester

Postby Dutch_Master » Sun Sep 02, 2007 3:29 pm

Oh really? Your behaviour, in complete accordance with your nick, led me to believe you are a leptocephalus. Picture of adult specimen: click!
Dutch_Master
LXF regular

Postby Rhakios » Sun Sep 02, 2007 3:34 pm

As I have mentioned innumerable times before, 1sf (troll) is actually one of these. As the following quote should make clear:

Hagfish are long, vermiform and can exude copious quantities of a sticky slime or mucus (from which the typical species Myxine glutinosa was named). When captured and held by the tail, they escape by secreting the fibrous slime, which turns into a thick and sticky gel when combined with water, and then cleaning off by tying themselves in an overhand knot which works its way from the head to the tail of the animal, scraping off the slime as it goes. Some authorities conjecture that this singular behavior may assist them in extricating themselves from the jaws of predatory fish. However, the "sliming" also seems to act as a distraction to predators, and free-swimming hagfish are seen to "slime" when agitated and will later clear the mucus off by way of the same travelling-knot behavior.
Bye, Rhakios
Rhakios

Postby Dutch_Master » Sun Sep 02, 2007 3:42 pm

On second thought, your definition describes 1sf (troll) better Rhakios :D
Dutch_Master
LXF regular

Postby 1slipperyfish » Sun Sep 02, 2007 6:22 pm

that's a rubbish description :roll: i would have said mid-late-twenties and handsome 8)
paul

1slipperyfish
Forum Jester

Postby nelz » Sun Sep 02, 2007 7:30 pm

the most "disgusting" of all sea creatures

If this is indeed a description of 1sf (troll), it has a superfluous word.
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." (Albert Einstein)
nelz
Site admin

PreviousNext

Return to Other OS