Linux Format forums Forum Index Linux Format forums
Help, discussion, magazine feedback and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Which broadband provider to use with linux?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic :: View next topic  
nelz
Site admin

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2005 10:36 pm    Post subject: RE: Re: RE: Which broadband provider to use with linux? Reply with quote

You don't need Windows to set up NTL. I just plugged the modem into my laptop's ethernet port and DHCP took care of everything.
carl_h

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2005 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy wrote:
I'm a long time AOL user - my wife moved here from the States and had a lot of friends and like AOL, so I opted for the 'easy life'.

So how did you connect your Linux box to AOL? I too have been with AOL since I first got internet at home, but since my decision to move to Linux I've been looking around for a new ISP. Reason is, I phoned AOL Tech Support to ask about using AOL with Linux and they told me point blank that I couldn't do it. Then they offered me a dial-up connection for Linux for a mere 25 a year extra... Surprised

I'm currently seriously considering Pipex.
Ram
LXF regular

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2005 6:35 pm    Post subject: Re: RE: Re: RE: Which broadband provider to use with linux? Reply with quote

davecs wrote:
Just to add my 0.02:

I use NTL. Currently it is 18 a month for 1 Mb/s, and I am not aware of any download limit.

You connect through ethernet or USB, Ethernet is recommended, but if you have to use USB, the modem they give you is supported under Linux (uses the module cdcether).

Disadvantage is that you probably need Windoze to get started in the first place. I made the switch after I started Broadband, so this didn't affect me. If you have access to a copy of Win98SE, you can get it started, then delete it and install linux?

Bad side of NTL: Although on the most part their service is pretty solid, when it does go wrong, customer service is poor.

My overall advice to anyone wanting Broadband for Linux is this: Find out what device they use to connect you to the internet. Ethernet and Firewire depend on whether the Ethernet and Firewire interfaces inside your computer are Linux compatible. They nearly always are.

However, USB connections depend on whether the external device is compatible with Linux. So you need to find out that it is.

Once you have this information, you can weigh it up with the other pros and cons.

Currently on NTL 1mb speed there is a 3gig per month limit but as yet not enforced, that I can vouch for Smile.

I'm lucky with my NTL modem, a surfboard SB3100 it does not have a USB connection.

User name and PW are not necessary unless your using NTL Mail but once the modems Mac address is registered with NTL it will connect to Linux using DHCP and a Ethernet connection, they'll talk quite happily without them..

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2005 6:53 pm    Post subject: RE: Re: RE: Which broadband provider to use with linux? Reply with quote

PlusNet have been excellent for me for the last 2 years - and they keep getting cheaper!! Very Happy
A-Wing
LXF regular

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2005 9:00 pm    Post subject: Re: RE: Re: RE: Which broadband provider to use with linux? Reply with quote

Anonymous wrote:
PlusNet have been excellent for me for the last 2 years - and they keep getting cheaper!! Very Happy

Must agree, 2 of our ADSL lines are on Plus.net and have been no trouble.
otard2955@yahoo.com

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2005 2:17 pm    Post subject: texas holdem blinds Reply with quote

Take your time to check out the sites in the field of best Texas Holdem Play money sites
absolut4559@freemail.com

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2005 2:17 pm    Post subject: play texas holdem for free online Reply with quote

You are invited to check some information about Free Texas Holdem Downloads
... Thanks!!!
A-Wing
LXF regular

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2005 2:27 pm    Post subject: RE: play texas holdem for free online Reply with quote

Shouldn't there be a report button for this kinda thing?
Eionmac

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2005 2:40 pm    Post subject: RE: Re: RE: Which broadband provider to use with linux? Reply with quote

""QUOTE : just a quick reply ((( at this moment in time i do not recommend )))

B T.... there network sucks... and their tech support is even worse.... UNQUOTE

Thisis wrong.

BT does not suport linux, correct, but if you connectvia a router (BT router or others) thsi connection is very releiable.

I used live linux as back up with BT dial up modem for years. Then when to BT broadbank with a 'broadband modem' (cheapest connection possible) which needed to be firmware upgraded to see linux, so I was only on Windows for a time. Then I went to a modem/router and now have Windows (base machine connection to suit withwork) and dual system linux a by live CD via router connected with ethernet (avoid wireless due to security r4easons).

BT has onlybeen down for a few hours in 5 years connections and theprescreene-mails for spam and anti-virus.

regards
eion
A-Wing
LXF regular

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2005 3:10 pm    Post subject: RE: Re: RE: Which broadband provider to use with linux? Reply with quote

OK, in my point of view as an internet company reviewing another internet company, BT are the worst.
They are slow in actioning, break a lot of things, most important of which being port 25 (SMTP), their MX servers break often and for long periods of time (several hours) and basically they show signs of having no sodding idea what they are doing.
True I have had more complaints about them on the hosting / domains side of them than the general ISP side, but I still get too many complaints about them on the ISP side.
towy71

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2005 4:06 pm    Post subject: RE: Re: RE: Which broadband provider to use with linux? Reply with quote

you only have to compare ISPs at the http://adslguide.org to see who their customers say is the most reliable and it ain't BT!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Linux Format forums Forum Index -> Help! All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: