Is Microsoft Killing Itself With Vista and DRM?

Help and discussion about non-Linux operating systems

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

Is Microsoft Killing Itself With Vista and DRM?

Postby Dark » Sun Aug 05, 2007 9:21 pm

I believe so, the one thing that made Microsoft great was the fact that it tried to standardize the PC market, even if you were on a Mac or a old IBM PC, you still could get the data (This was before the Linux kernel even existed and UNIX on PCs was just a dream) However lately with Vista, Office and Zune they have been destroying what made them so great, the ability to get data on any PC platform, with actual true Open Formats, Microsoft has been ignoring them and creating its own (inferior) proprietary versions that /few/ use. What made Microsoft so much money/respect was that in a day before much standardization you could still get the data if you used Microsoft's format unlike with earlier computers such as the Sinclair line and the Commodore 64. Now Microsoft is going against this and its hurting their respect in the fact that now they have added DRM to just about everything, they have ignored the large community of Linux by making Office DRMed to the core and not having a Linux port. Because of this Linux is growing and Microsoft is shrinking, If it wasn't for Microsoft Linux would have never been born, and because of Microsoft it is growing exponentially, by ignoring their core values Microsoft has strengthened their rival, Linux. So how many people agree with me?
Dark

RE: Is Microsoft Killing Itself With Vista and DRM?

Postby Dutch_Master » Sun Aug 05, 2007 9:48 pm

MS will do anything, even illegal, to _not_ be compatible with Linux in any shape or form. They want the user to pay, pay and pay even more for using their DRM-ed products. That's the only thing they care about... They don't care about "respect" 'cause it aint gonna make them more money. Period. They know they can get away with (almost) anything, *because* they have such dominance on the desktop market. Don't worry, Vista will take off, because in a few months that's all vendors will get for building their PC's. MS simply stops shipping XP. They made the mistake of supporting Win98 for too long, won't happen again...

Btw, what on earth made you ever think that MS would port their flagship Office product to a platform that effectively orders them to open up their source code? MS doesn't care about the Linux/OSS community, unless they can make them pay for using software, every single piece of it.

IMO you're missing some vital understanding of the "free market economy" as propagated by large monopolists like MS, but also the US government and many more in the Western world. In the world of capitalism there is no such thing as morality, ethics and other social values the West claims as their own.
Dutch_Master
LXF regular

RE: Is Microsoft Killing Itself With Vista and DRM?

Postby wyliecoyoteuk » Sun Aug 05, 2007 10:36 pm

MS have been dying for a long time.
The only 2 divisions in MS that actually make a profit are Windows and Office.
Everything else, Xbox, Zune, MSN, etc.etc. they are losing money on.
The problem with a Behemoth like MS is that they cannot adjust to changing circumstances.
Despite their dominant position, it would take very little failure to bring the whole thing crashing down.
Large companies have complex organisational issues, large staff, and complex internal politics.
They also have huge day to day costs just to function.
MS will be here for a long time, but their business model is fundamentally flawed, and their attempts to scale an unmaintainable monolithic spaghetti of code to fit every application, mean that they are eventually doomed.

The thing is, if they do fall, the US economy may well go with them.
The sig between the asterisks is so cool that only REALLY COOL people can even see it!

wyliecoyoteuk
LXF regular

Postby Dark » Mon Aug 06, 2007 12:21 am

What I think is nice is that MS is only making money on things that take absolutely no innovation MS just takes Mac/Linux ideas, DRM it, add insane hardware requirements to make sure that theres no possible way anyone can benefit for it then patent it and claim it as their own. As for office they could always do a binary only method the way Opera and some Google Software uses, not that I would buy it or anything :wink:

As for things that are legal or not it amazes me that MS is considered a monopoly yet Governments do nothing about it, and when they do its forbidding them for bundling Windows Media Player or something like that rather then forcing them to disclose source code so projects such as ReactOS can improve compatibility.

I think that the US economy is ignoring how other countries are innovating new technology (Such as Japan) and instead seem to buy things with just about 0% Innovation (Vista, iPhone, and Smartphones) and little functionality over previous versions. As long as consumers are willing to spend the money companies will keep barley improving their products and adding restrictions. Either
1. The economy will crash and consumers will have little money to spend on technology (Not good)
2. Consumers will learn about DRM and boycott it and non-open standards (good)
or
3. Legal action will be taken ageist DRM and software patents and Linux will grow without legal fear (Good but unlikely due to the fact that most people in congress are not programmers)

Before Microsoft starts loosing profits left and right. And consumers loose confidence and start buying Macs and Linux-installed computers.
Dark

Postby Dutch_Master » Mon Aug 06, 2007 12:49 am

I still have the feeling that you believe to live in Utopia...

As for the US economy: when (not if) it tumbles it'll drag Europe and Asia with it, but only for a short while. Investors will soon realise that the Euro is a strong currency and trade their USD for it. Look at the recent events surrounding the bad state of the housing market in the US: European markets took a slight dip but bounced back within a day or 2. Investors also realise that although import to the US will dry up to a trickle, export can be booming. Yeah, it'll hurt, but I doubt for any length of time over, let's say, 3 to 6 months.
Dutch_Master
LXF regular

Postby Dark » Mon Aug 06, 2007 2:16 pm

Yah the housing market sure is bad in the US, and my parents are real estate agents so I know how that is. And the US economy is bound to be going downhill, too much govenment involvment, plus in 08 we get a new president and that could change the economy either for the better or the worse.
Dark

Death of Microsoft

Postby ITLinuxConsultant » Mon Aug 06, 2007 8:06 pm

The problem with a Behemoth like MS is that they cannot Fight what they know , and that is that they are soon going to have to Close there doors for good.Despite their dominant position,Their business model is fundamentally flawed, and their attempts to scale an keep the PC Market will End and the whole Company crashing down.The BIG QUESTION IS NOT IF THEY DO FALL ,IT"S WHEN.NOW WHEN Microsoft does FALL and they will the US economy may well go with them.The Very reason i say this is that you very well know that Microsoft plays a big role in the U.S. Economy.
ITLinuxConsultant

RE: Death of Microsoft

Postby wyliecoyoteuk » Mon Aug 06, 2007 9:06 pm

Microsoft will be with us for a long time, the same as IBM, Novell and other huge companies that have had their time in the arena, and still have huge cash reserves. They will not die overnight.
The sig between the asterisks is so cool that only REALLY COOL people can even see it!

wyliecoyoteuk
LXF regular

Return to Other OS