Linux Format forums Forum Index Linux Format forums
Help, discussion, magazine feedback and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Wiki Help

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Linux Format forums Forum Index -> This Website
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dwjs1974
LXF regular

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 2:00 pm    Post subject: Wiki Help Reply with quote

Hi as with anything that I have never used before I like to know what I need to do...

I have gone into the wiki to add a page regarding DELL laptops

I edited the page and added my content but its not showing on the main page it shows on the discussion...

How do i add my content to the DELL page so it creates a new listing or whatever the term is...

This is the page I have added

http://www.linuxformat.co.uk/wiki/index.php/Talk:Dell

Please forgive me i have never used a wiki before forums are fine... maybe i should stick with them :S

Thanks

Dave
M-Saunders
LXF regular

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 2:08 pm    Post subject: RE: Wiki Help Reply with quote

Hi,

You've edited the Talk page rather than the actual article. Each article has a separate Talk page where people can discuss their changes -- eg suggest major overhauls before adding them to the page proper.

You want to go here:

http://www.linuxformat.co.uk/wiki/index.php/Dell

Click the Edit tab at the top, and then add your text. Good luck!

M
dwjs1974
LXF regular

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 3:38 pm    Post subject: RE: Wiki Help Reply with quote

Thanks Mike,

Sorry never used a wiki before sorted....

Cheers again

Dave
M-Saunders
LXF regular

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 11:22 am    Post subject: RE: Wiki Help Reply with quote

Dave,

Unfortunately I had to roll back the wiki database due to major bot flooding. Could you please re-sign-up and add your paragraph again? Sorry for the hassle -- I've added some extra bot protection now.

Mike
guy
LXF regular

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 3:31 pm    Post subject: RE: Wiki Help Reply with quote

Hi,
Long time no see, all. I just came to sign on the wiki, but one problem and a question:

Despite signing-up/logging on, I can't figure how to create a page: on most wikis I search for the page and if it's not there I get a create this page option. No sign of that here. And the Help page is quite blank.

In a more general vein, the wiki looks a bit quiet. Is that due to bot wars or everybody going away for the Summer or what?
Rhakios

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 3:55 pm    Post subject: RE: Wiki Help Reply with quote

The only way I have found that looks like it ought to work is to put in your address field something like:

http://www.linuxformat.co.uk/wiki/index.php/Testing_new_page

only using whatever title you actually want, this gives you a blank page with an Edit field, which I assume is usable, but I don't want to clutter up the Wiki with stuff for testing how it works.
I assume that creating a new link in an existing page will also work.
guy
LXF regular

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 8:42 pm    Post subject: RE: Wiki Help Reply with quote

Yup both work a treat. Thanks.

H'mm. Maybe the wiki's quiet because hardly anybody can figure how to add pages :-/
guy
LXF regular

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 9:11 pm    Post subject: RE: Wiki Help Reply with quote

Meanwhile, someone has begun filling random Talk pages with naughty web links. I just rolled back two instances, each done under a different user name. Sigh.
Rhakios

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2007 1:32 am    Post subject: RE: Wiki Help Reply with quote

I assume you mean user RlcV6p, perhaps Mike can disable his account.
guy
LXF regular

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2007 11:14 am    Post subject: RE: Wiki Help Reply with quote

Yes. And user ArqLsp as well.

Looking at the user list, I suspect there are a good few more such accounts in "sleeper" mode. A wiki with 818 registered users nearly all of whom have no user page, and **** all user activity? It doesn't add up.
Rhakios

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2007 11:33 am    Post subject: RE: Wiki Help Reply with quote

Normally, I'd give Mike a prod, but I'm sure he'll find this thread on Monday and do something about it then.

Edit: While you're at it Mike, you might want to disable user mobileltd on the forums, in case he comes back.
guy
LXF regular

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2007 7:32 pm    Post subject: RE: Wiki Help Reply with quote

Meanwhile, what version of Wiki software is LXF using? It seems pretty ancient - no <noinclude> or <includeonly> for example.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Linux Format forums Forum Index -> This Website All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: