Linux Format forums Forum Index Linux Format forums
Help, discussion, magazine feedback and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Fedora 7 has landed

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Linux Format forums Forum Index -> Announcements
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nobber
LXF regular

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 5:59 pm    Post subject: Fedora 7 has landed Reply with quote

Yep, it's here.

Most interesting sentence from release notes:

"In this release, the performance of yum, Pirut, and Pup have been significantly improved."

A good thing too.
SootynSweep
LXF regular

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 6:22 pm    Post subject: RE: Fedora 7 has landed Reply with quote

Yes, I've just downloaded the 64bit DVD iso.

3.4GB in exactly 1hour and 9 minutes, rock on broadband Smile
Nobber
LXF regular

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 6:26 pm    Post subject: RE: Fedora 7 has landed Reply with quote

That's good going, even for broadband!

Torrent or direct download?
SootynSweep
LXF regular

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 6:36 pm    Post subject: RE: Fedora 7 has landed Reply with quote

Using gFtp from a Fedora official mirror.

Knetstats was showing 860KB/s but gFtp reckoned about 815KB/s

And the router was synced at 7.9Mb/s
Nobber
LXF regular

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 11:54 pm    Post subject: RE: Fedora 7 has landed Reply with quote

The best download speed I'm getting at the moment is 360KB/s. Sad

Still, at that rate I'll be done in an hour. Smile
nordle
LXF regular

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 10:08 pm    Post subject: RE: Fedora 7 has landed Reply with quote

wow! I'm synced at 8192 as I'm located a nats fart away from the exchange, but I rarely see anything above 310k, occasionally 480-520 but thats usually at about 4am.

Is that regular ADSL+?
spottedcat
LXF regular

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 10:14 pm    Post subject: Re: RE: Fedora 7 has landed Reply with quote

nordle wrote:
Is that regular ADSL+?

And if so, which ISP?
SootynSweep
LXF regular

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2007 9:13 am    Post subject: RE: Re: RE: Fedora 7 has landed Reply with quote

ADSL2+ with a D-Link DSL-524T (which are supposed to be pretty naff)

ISP is ya.com, don't think they operate in the UK.

Actually it's an 'up to' 20Mb connection but the SNR margin and line attenuation numbers are terrible. I'm surprised it can connect at these kind of speeds.
SootynSweep
LXF regular

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2007 9:14 am    Post subject: RE: Re: RE: Fedora 7 has landed Reply with quote

Forgot to add, these posts come from FC7 Smile
nordle
LXF regular

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2007 12:27 am    Post subject: RE: Re: RE: Fedora 7 has landed Reply with quote

ADSL2+ would be sweeeeeet... Just cant imagine we'll see it before the rest of Europe has ADSL99+ Sad
Dutch_Master
LXF regular

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2007 1:39 am    Post subject: RE: Re: RE: Fedora 7 has landed Reply with quote

Hmmm, that'll be more something like "Fiber-2", the 2nd generation glass-fiber internet for consumers at 125 TB/s. Wink Intel will have their Pentium MCMXXVI ready to launch and AMD just announced their new line of Mobile processors, having 256 cores on a single chip. Their serverline already has 1024 cores, suitable for a 1U barebone with 4096 TB DDR8 RAM. The classic 2007 style desktop is obsolete, replaced by modern in-situ devices, directly connected to the brainstem and vortex. These devices run an ancient but very stable Linux 12.6.280 kernel, written by the combined brains from L. Torvalds and A. Morton. Shortly before both geniuses retired on Mars they copied their combined knowledge into the Lightyear 2020 supercomputer, which runs on light. It's capable of producing rockstable kernels with the speed of light (pun intended), using the Next Generation Virtualization (actually it's the 5th generation, but that didn't sound right for some reason according to Mr Shuttleworth)... These kernels measure in at 1 GB, after stripping out obsolete drivers for SATA2, NTFS and Samba.

Twisted Evil

You know what the best thing about Britain is? If you can't keep up the pace of modern life, go the the British countryside. Time's standing still there Wink Mr. Green Mr. Green
pootman
LXF regular

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2007 9:44 am    Post subject: Re: RE: Re: RE: Fedora 7 has landed Reply with quote

Dutch_Master wrote:

You know what the best thing about Britain is? If you can't keep up the pace of modern life, go the the British countryside. Time's standing still there Wink Mr. Green Mr. Green

True enough. Last night as i was going to bed I realised I hadn't locked the front or back doors, and went to bed anyway.
SootynSweep
LXF regular

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 12:20 pm    Post subject: Re: RE: Fedora 7 has landed Reply with quote

nordle wrote:
wow! I'm synced at 8192 as I'm located a nats fart away from the exchange, but I rarely see anything above 310k, occasionally 480-520 but thats usually at about 4am.

Is that regular ADSL+?

Well those numbers are pretty good. I often get download speeds of 100 - 200 KB/s

It's just this one FC mirror, a local uni, which always goes flat out.

I think that if you've got a fast broadband connection most of the time it's the server that can't keep up with you and/or they have a bandwith limit per connection.
nordle
LXF regular

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 9:21 pm    Post subject: Re: RE: Fedora 7 has landed Reply with quote

True, the initial problem was the marketing, it was along the lines of

upto 8MB Broadband Now

The key word being upto. What they should have said was:

5MB if your lucky, 3.5MB average, 2MB a lot of the time, don't be surprised if you see 1MB or less.

Not quite as snappy/catchy though I guess.
SootynSweep
LXF regular

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 10:20 am    Post subject: RE: Re: RE: Fedora 7 has landed Reply with quote

Yeah, the marketing is great.

Over here Jazztel and Orange are offering 20Mb ADSL +free phone calls +this +that for 4.95€ per month.

Checked out the Jazztel website and the (very) small print says that price is for the first 2 months, then it goes up to 41€ a month. What? that's a lot more than I'm paying.

So it's a triple con:

1 - pricewise, they offer service at 4.95 but really it's 41€

2 - practically nobody can sync at 20Mb, even with the exchange next door.

3 - even if you can, how many servers can keep up with you?
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Linux Format forums Forum Index -> Announcements All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: