PCLinuxOS 2007: It's finally here!

Community announcements - software releases, LUG meetings etc.

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

PCLinuxOS 2007: It's finally here!

Postby davecs » Mon May 21, 2007 11:53 am

AT LAST !!!

PCLinuxOS 2007 Final Released
Written by Texstar
Sunday, 20 May 2007

Texstar and the Ripper Gang are pleased to announce the final release of PCLinuxOS 2007. Featuring kernel 2.6.18.8, KDE 3.5.6, Open Office 2.2.0, Firefox 2.0.0.3, Thunderbird 2.0, Frostwire, Ktorrent, Amarok, Flash, Java JRE, Beryl 3D and much much more. Almost 2 gigs of software compressed on a single self bootable livecd that can be installed to your hard drive provided it is compatible with your system and you like the distribution. Over 5000+ additional packages available after hard drive install through our Synaptic Software Manager. Please note PCLinuxOS does not ship with Win32codes or DVD decryption software. Proprietary Nvidia and ATI drivers available after hard drive install.

In addition we'd like to give out a special thanks to the PCLinuxOS community who stepped up last month to help us out and kept us going. Thank you for all your support and we'll keep working hard to bring you a good Linux distribution you can be proud of. We also want to thank Enki Consulting for providing hosting for our website and ibiblio.org for hosting our distribution.

Currently available via torrent only as the mirrors continue to populate: http://linuxtracker.org/torrents-details.php?id=4143

Some of the mirrors are now ready, check out this one:

http://ftp.nl.freebsd.org/os/Linux/dist ... h/preview/

or the others in this list:

http://www.pclinuxos.com/index.php?opti ... &Itemid=28

The next plan is to make a DVD version with more software and internationalisation.
Asus Asus M2N32 WS Pro+Athlon AM2/4200+ — GeForce 7600GT — 2Gb Cosair VS RAM — 500Gb WD5000AAKS SATA Drive — PCLinuxOS
davecs
LXF regular

RE: PCLinuxOS 2007: It

Postby davecs » Sat May 26, 2007 3:06 pm

I don't know if this is good or bad, but, excluding CD sales and bittorrent, since the announcement on Monday there have been 36,520 downloads via the official mirrors.
Asus Asus M2N32 WS Pro+Athlon AM2/4200+ — GeForce 7600GT — 2Gb Cosair VS RAM — 500Gb WD5000AAKS SATA Drive — PCLinuxOS
davecs
LXF regular

RE: PCLinuxOS 2007: It

Postby Rhakios » Sat May 26, 2007 5:23 pm

Sounds good to me. I've got it running on my laptop now, having replaced TR4. Must get around to getting every last thing set up, some time.
I still had to use the dkms-alsa package to get sound though.
Bye, Rhakios
Rhakios

Postby Marrea » Mon May 28, 2007 2:31 pm

Hi davecs

I've just downloaded and installed this afternoon and it's looking really nice.

Could you advise me which NVidia driver to use? I have a GeForce FX5200 card and after looking at Synaptic I am not sure which would be best out of:

dkms-nvidia_100.14.xx (Beta Release for GeForceFX and newer NVIDIA GX)
dkms-nvidia_97xx (for most NVIDIA video cards)
dkms-nvidia-cuda (for most NVIDIA video cards)

It would appear that dkms-nvidia_100.14.xx would be most appropriate but I am worried about the "Beta" tag. :?

LATER EDIT
It's OK. I've now installed the _97xx. And I see that the description is actually "for new cards", not "for most cards". Not seeing straight !!
Last edited by Marrea on Mon May 28, 2007 5:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Marrea
LXF regular

Re: RE: PCLinuxOS 2007: It

Postby Marrea » Mon May 28, 2007 2:38 pm

Rhakios wrote:I still had to use the dkms-alsa package to get sound though.

No problem with sound here, Rhakios. Worked "straight out of the box", as they say.

Now I wonder how long KsCD will continue to work before giving up the ghost. Usually, with most distros, this program causes me grief. :P
Marrea
LXF regular

Postby Marrea » Mon May 28, 2007 8:48 pm

I must say I am pretty impressed so far, having been playing around with PCLinuxOS 2007 most of this afternoon and evening. I love the look of it, a great improvement over 0.93.

Everything I have tried so far has just worked so easily:

RealPlayer with the BBC site (well, after first getting rid of MPlayer plugin !)
DVDs and mp3s
Installation of nvidia proprietary driver
Epson R300 printer
3D desktop effects

Looking forward to exploring further.
Marrea
LXF regular

Postby davecs » Mon May 28, 2007 10:47 pm

On my old rig, I had an FX5200 card. I had problems (occasional lockups, especially in Firefox) with both 97xx drivers. The 100.14 driver was better in play, but brought back an old nvidia problem I had years ago: you couldn't return to framebuffer when leaving the graphical environment. I settled on 96xx which was stable and supports all the Beryl tricks. But not all FX5200 cards are exactly equal, I think mine was particularly cheap and nasty. I know others with FX5200 reported none of the problems I had with the 97xx drivers. I will still be maintaining the old rig, it's now mum-in-law's. She loves it because her old SiS630-based rig was like a snail through treacle in Firefox.

The nvidia drivers drop support for certain cards at certain points, which is why some older ones are still maintained, but I seem to remember sometime during the 8000's the nvidia framebuffer return problem stopped, and the 5200 was well supported at that time, with older cards like that you don't have to go for the latest. My advice is run each of them for a while, and see if any are more stable or run better.

I have new hardware as you can see from my sig, and I have to say, beta or no beta, the nvidia 100.14 driver is just brilliant on the newer cards. Since upgrading my hardware I got 2 temporary lockups using the basic kernel, but since I upgraded to the a64 kernel nothing of the sort. I use the 2.6.20.11-dev kernel from testing.

Check out also the ck-kernels, which have Con Kolivas' unofficial patches, if you have any latency problems with multimedia.
davecs
LXF regular

Postby Marrea » Tue May 29, 2007 5:10 pm

davecs wrote:My advice is run each of them for a while, and see if any are more stable or run better.

davecs wrote:Check out also the ck-kernels, which have Con Kolivas' unofficial patches, if you have any latency problems with multimedia.

davecs
Many thanks for that. I'm doing fine with the 97xx at the moment, so I'll leave it like that for now and see how it goes.

I was very impressed with the speedy install of the distro, by the way.
Marrea
LXF regular

Postby pootman » Wed May 30, 2007 12:24 pm

I've just had a look and i have to say, it's the second most impressive (linux) thing i've seen this year.

I was stunned to see the installer recognise my Netgear WG111 as a wireless networking option - the first installer to do so.

If it had gone on to actually work with either their chosen driver (islsm) or their bundled ndiswrapper, it would have been the most impressive thing I'd seen this year. Which is currently Slax.
This signature has been produced using traditional writing methods on behalf of The Campaign For Real Slogans.
To enjoy this signature at its best, adjust your monitor's resolution to 1024x768.
pootman
LXF regular

Postby davecs » Wed May 30, 2007 12:48 pm

Thanks for your kind words, pootman.

If you fancy a little play with it, here are two threads where people got a WG111 v2 going using ndiswrapper. I don't know how close that is to your model:

http://www.pclinuxos.com/index.php?opti ... ic=20667.0

http://www.pclinuxos.com/index.php?opti ... ic=21606.0
davecs
LXF regular

Postby pootman » Thu May 31, 2007 2:11 pm

Thanks for that. The first link had it. I was so used the XP driver working, it never occured to me to try the w98 one, and it worked.
A couple of minutes to install realplayer from the default repository and I'm listening to Radio 3 again, another minute for win32-codecs and Classic FM still doesn't work (but that's normal, i'll fiddle with it later).

Also: Nice to see the installer remind me to run chkdsk after resizing an ntfs partition, haven't seen anyone else do that yet (bit of a shock to go straight into the resize after selecting the new partition size, but i suppose i was warned beforehand).
This signature has been produced using traditional writing methods on behalf of The Campaign For Real Slogans.
To enjoy this signature at its best, adjust your monitor's resolution to 1024x768.
pootman
LXF regular

Postby Ram » Sat Jun 02, 2007 11:54 pm

Looking good so far :)

lubuntu LXDE 13.10 running on AMD Phenom II*4; ASUS Crosshair III Formula MB; 4 GB Ram.....
Ram
LXF regular

Return to Announcements