extreme newbie needs help installing SUSE 9.2

The place to post if you need help or advice

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

extreme newbie needs help installing SUSE 9.2

Postby JC » Wed Jul 06, 2005 4:45 pm

I would like to install SUSE 9.2 from the march 2005 cover disc onto a second IDE hard drive. this would be slaved to the primary master drive.
on the main drive (i will call this drive 1) I am dual booting Win ME and Win XP using Win XP boot manager. please don't comment on me using windows as all the products and programs avaiable to me in stores are only for windows where I live. I would like to know how I need to set things up so that I can install SUSE onto the second hard drive and still keep windows from being screwed up (on drive 1). also I would like to keep win xp as the default boot and still have win me also. I have not tried to install yet as I am not sure what will happen. I would like to keep everything as simple as possible when installing so could you please keep the instructions simple as I am still trying to learn the linux "languge".
JC

RE: extreme newbie needs help installing SUSE 9.2

Postby jer1ch0 » Wed Jul 06, 2005 5:31 pm

During installation, suse will give you an option of where to install itself, be it the first hard drive called hda or the second hard drive called hdb.
Choose hdb.
The installer will also offer to install the grub bootloader to the Windows MBR (master boot record)
This will pick up your Windows operating systems.
You will be given a choice of booting into either of the three installed operating systems at boot time.
I'm a relative newbie myself, so i am open to correction here.
jer1ch0
LXF regular

Return to Help!