Linux Format forums Forum Index Linux Format forums
Help, discussion, magazine feedback and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Bad sector woes :S

View previous topic :: View next topic  
kevingpo

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2005 3:49 pm    Post subject: Bad sector woes :S Reply with quote

Dear all

I recently dropped my laptop from about chair/seat height. It hit the floor on it's side. Worried I quickly did scandisk and left it. When I came back it had already booted into linux and I forgot about the issue.

Q. How does one look back at previous or recent scandisk logs?

Today when I booted my laptop I noticed the performance very sluggish and not normal. I began to worry about my harddrive issue.

The results of scandisk partition was:

44765122 KB total disk space.
26495516 KB in 3332 files.
1788 KB in 518 indexes.
4 KB in bad sectors.
94818 KB in use by the system.
65536 KB occupied by the log file.
18172996 KB available on disk.

4096 bytes in each allocation unit.
11191280 total allocation units on disk.
4543249 allocation units available on disk.
Windows has finished checking the disk.

-------------------

Woah! 4KB in bad sectors. I guess the 4KB is unrecoverable. I wonder what files were sitting on top of those bad sectors.
kevingpo

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2005 4:02 pm    Post subject: RE: Bad sector woes :S Reply with quote

How can one upgrade his e2fsck easily? Is there a RPM?
nelz
Site admin

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2005 4:41 pm    Post subject: RE: Bad sector woes :S Reply with quote

Use your distro's package manager, they all have options to check for and install updates.

You should also install and run smartmontools to perform a lower level diagnostic on the drive itself.
kevingpo

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2005 10:53 pm    Post subject: Re: RE: Bad sector woes :S Reply with quote

nelz wrote:
Use your distro's package manager, they all have options to check for and install updates.

You should also install and run smartmontools to perform a lower level diagnostic on the drive itself.

I did a

yum update e2fsprogs e2fsprogs-devel file gnutils nfs-utils

(I think one of these packages has the e2fsck update).

I don't see smartmontools in my distro list of applications. But please do point me to a RPM or something...
A-Wing
LXF regular

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2005 11:09 pm    Post subject: RE: Re: RE: Bad sector woes :S Reply with quote

I am assuming a version of RedHat or Fedora, please state distro version and I can point you to an rpm. Alternatively use the advanced search in the following site to search for one:

http://rpm.pbone.net/
kevingpo

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2005 11:09 pm    Post subject: RE: Re: RE: Bad sector woes :S Reply with quote

Also, is there any of these powerful unix utilities for scanning FAT32 or NTFS partitions?
A-Wing
LXF regular

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2005 11:17 pm    Post subject: RE: Re: RE: Bad sector woes :S Reply with quote

fsck.vfat (just running fsck should call this) should work for your fat32 partitions. I'm not sure about NTFS, maybe ntfsprogs has a tool. If there is one it certainly won't be able to repair NTFS due to NTFS writing not being stable in Linux (mainly due to Microshaft not releasing full specs)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Linux Format forums Forum Index -> Help! All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: