anyone for a laptop recommendation ?

For discussing Linux compatible (or not) devices

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

anyone for a laptop recommendation ?

Postby dukeinlondon » Thu Jun 09, 2005 10:49 am

If anyone has recently bought a laptop that support well suspend and resume (on lid close),sound bluetooth wifi and has a DVD writer, then let me know.
dukeinlondon

RE: anyone for a laptop recommendation ?

Postby Rhakios » Thu Jun 09, 2005 7:02 pm

Yes, my Apple G4 Powerbook does very nicely with all these. I'm afraid it won't all work with Linux though. Still, fink is one way of getting FLOSS apps to work with OS X.
Bye, Rhakios
Rhakios

RE: anyone for a laptop recommendation ?

Postby M-Saunders » Thu Jun 09, 2005 8:14 pm

IBM ThinkPads tend to work well with Linux -- plus they're built like tanks. Incredibly tough, sturdy and reliable. I have an R31 here; everything works, including the WinModem! Huzzah! However, IBM's PC business has been sold to Lenovo now, so it remains to be seen if they maintain the quality. Fingers and toes crossed...

M
M-Saunders
LXF regular

Postby Lanser » Sun Jun 26, 2005 4:20 pm

Just bought an acer travelmate 4500 for work almost everything just worked out of the box using suse 9.3 wireless, bluetooth with my phone, suspend resume etc the only thing that doesnt are a couple of extra buttons and i need to configure the keyboard so that the extra function keys work got a couple going (vol up/down and mute)

John
Lanser

Postby A-Wing » Tue Jul 05, 2005 7:34 pm

IBM are always a good buy, and I haven't had any problems with Fuji. Avoid newer cheepy Toshibas like the plague and any brand you have never heard of or bells / whistles laptops.
http://www.linux-laptop.net/ is a bit outdated in areas but is quite useful.
Andrew Hutchings, Linux Jedi
http://www.a-wing.co.uk
A-Wing
LXF regular

Postby bigbee » Tue Jul 05, 2005 9:53 pm

I have a acer travelmate 4502LCi running linux smoothly. bluetooth, wifi... everything worked out of the box (Thx to SuSE 9.2) :)
Overall I can recommand not to buy the latest of the newest of the hottest hardware because they sometimes have features/hardware not yet supported by linux. The first time I installed SuSE 9.1 on my laptop it didn't support the newest centrino wifi cards, so I had to create the modules myself (which can be confusing) ;-)

GL with your choice! And have fun...

ps: I can also recommend a p1 compaq armada 4131T but I don't think it will satifsy your needs ;)
bigbee

Return to Hardware