Evolution or Thunderbird

Discussion topics, Linux related - not requests for help

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

Evolution or Thunderbird

Postby jer1ch0 » Thu Jun 23, 2005 11:37 pm

Evolution or Thunderbird:
Says it all really.
I prefer Thunderbird because it just seems soooo much quicker than Evo. No other reason. How about you?
jer1ch0
LXF regular

RE: Evolution or Thunderbird

Postby towy71 » Fri Jun 24, 2005 7:44 am

Thunderbird
still looking for that door into summer
towy71

Postby Nigel » Fri Jun 24, 2005 8:13 am

I used Evolution for a while (it's the default mail client in SuSE 8.2), and there are things I like about it (RSS feeds, calendering) . But when Thunderbird matured I switched - one of the main reasons was to have a common email client on both Windows and Linux. It's also lighter and faster than Evolution.

Evolution is good if you want an MS-Exchange/Outlook type integrated environment. If all you want is an email client, I would opt for Thunderbird.
Hope this helps,

Nigel.
Nigel
LXF regular

Postby nelz » Fri Jun 24, 2005 8:54 am

Why only two choices? I'd rather use Thunderbird than Evolution, but I'd prefer to use neither.
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." (Albert Einstein)
nelz
Site admin

Postby bigbee » Fri Jun 24, 2005 10:44 am

Pine to read my mails!!! ( and thunderbird to pop and archive them in a click'n drag way :-) )
bigbee

Postby Flea » Fri Jun 24, 2005 11:16 am

Where do you people get that Thunderbird is faster than Evolution? In my experience Evolution wipes the floor with Thunderbird when it comes to speed!
The question is, what is a mahnamahna?
The question is, who cares?
Flea
LXF regular

Re: RE: Evolution or Thunderbird

Postby Nigel » Fri Jun 24, 2005 12:41 pm

Flea wrote:Where do you people get that Thunderbird is faster than Evolution? In my experience Evolution wipes the floor with Thunderbird when it comes to speed!

From my experience, there's no noticeable difference for standard mail-type tasks once they're running. However, Evolution sometimes took a good 20-30 seconds to start from cold on my Athlon 1.0/SuSE 8.2 box, whereas Thunderbird is a lot quicker.
OK, so I know that in theory Evolution leaves processes running in the background (a la OOo) to overcome this for subsequent starts, but I liked to back up my Evolution files (address book, to-do list etc) each night to keep my home & work machines in sync, and this meant shutting down the background processes.
As to "lighter", I guess that's subjective - Thunderbird merely seems that way. Evolution, like Outlook, feels like a heavyweight app.
Nigel
LXF regular

RE: Re: RE: Evolution or Thunderbird

Postby M-Saunders » Fri Jun 24, 2005 1:17 pm

I know a few people who use Evolution outside of Gnome, and that'll make it a lot slower on startup -- it has to load a stack of libraries and infrastructure beforehand. In Gnome, I've found Evo to be a bit snappier and lighter than Thunderbird, although neither compares to the zippiness of Pine :-)

M
M-Saunders
LXF regular

Postby jer1ch0 » Fri Jun 24, 2005 1:20 pm

Started off with Evolution and loved and miss the calendaring option. It used to take up to a minute to even connect to the server and gave no indication of how many mails were being downloaded. Also setting it to download images in html mails off the net didn't work satisfactorily. Dilbert used take 2 or 3 mins to view.
Click Thunderbird and it downloads all my email immediately, sorts out the junk and makes html mails viewable.
Maybe my Evo setting were to blame but T/Bird worked straight out of the tin.
jer1ch0
LXF regular

Re: RE: Re: RE: Evolution or Thunderbird

Postby Flea » Fri Jun 24, 2005 2:29 pm

M-Saunders wrote:I know a few people who use Evolution outside of Gnome, and that'll make it a lot slower on startup -- it has to load a stack of libraries and infrastructure beforehand. In Gnome, I've found Evo to be a bit snappier and lighter than Thunderbird, although neither compares to the zippiness of Pine :-)

M

:idea: Ah, now I see! The people finding it slow are not running Gnome!

I switched over to Gnome from KDE a few weeks ago, at first hated it, now I love it! Snappier than KDE and even Firefox loads faster (about 2-3 seconds from a cold boot!
On the other hand K3b takes an eternity to load now, must be loading all the KDE libs needed to support it :roll:

Dave.
Flea
LXF regular

Re: RE: Re: RE: Evolution or Thunderbird

Postby Nigel » Fri Jun 24, 2005 6:33 pm

M-Saunders wrote:I know a few people who use Evolution outside of Gnome, and that'll make it a lot slower on startup -- it has to load a stack of libraries and infrastructure beforehand. In Gnome, I've found Evo to be a bit snappier and lighter than Thunderbird, although neither compares to the zippiness of Pine :-)

M

Yep, I'm another KDE user...
Nigel
LXF regular

RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Evolution or Thunderbird

Postby jlarue » Mon Jul 04, 2005 3:59 am

I prefer Thunderbird, too, but have a persistent problem getting it and Firefox to play nicely together. I've tried various fixes, but thus far without luck. The problem: clicking on a link in Tbird does not load Firefox. Clicking on a mailto link in Firefox launches Tbird ONLY if it isn't already running -- otherwise, it tries to launch another session. I have no idea why this basic problem has never been fixed.
jlarue

RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Evolution or Thunderbird

Postby towy71 » Mon Jul 04, 2005 10:33 pm

I thought it was just my incompetence that made them not play nicely ;-)
still looking for that door into summer
towy71

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Evolution or Thunderbird

Postby Flea » Tue Jul 05, 2005 12:04 am

jlarue wrote:I prefer Thunderbird, too, but have a persistent problem getting it and Firefox to play nicely together. I've tried various fixes, but thus far without luck. The problem: clicking on a link in Tbird does not load Firefox. Clicking on a mailto link in Firefox launches Tbird ONLY if it isn't already running -- otherwise, it tries to launch another session. I have no idea why this basic problem has never been fixed.

I'm not too sure about the mailto: links but I did experience similar problems with Thunderbird when I used to run Slackware. My solution was a script I found somewhere on mozilazine I had to modify it a bit as it was written for Firebird (old name of Firefox). It may or may not help, no promises :)

To install this scrip on your system - copy the following script to a file called firefoxtb.sh in /usr/bin (or some other location in your PATH environment variable) then edit your Thunderbird prefs.js file (usually located somewhere under ~/.thunderbird) to include this line -

user_pref("network.protocol-handler.app.http", "/usr/bin/firefoxtb.sh");

Of course you have to change the path to the firefoxtb.sh script if you created it in a different directory, for instance /bin

You will need to restart Thunderbird for the changes to take effect. Please make sure that Thunderbird is NOT running while you edit your prefs.js file as it will be overwritten by Thunderbird when you exit!

After that it *should* work. Please note I have only tested this on my Slackware box, it may or may not work with other distros!

=====Script begins=====

#!/bin/bash
export MOZILLA_FIVE_HOME=/usr/Firefox
export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$LD_LIBRARY_PATH:$MOZILLA_FIVE_HOME
url=$1
[ -z $url ] && url=about:blank
## Run Firefox remotely if there's an existing process running...
if [ -x $MOZILLA_FIVE_HOME/firefox ] ; then
rv=`ps -ef | grep '/usr/Firefox/firefox' | grep -v grep | wc -l`
if [ $rv == "0" ] ; then
$MOZILLA_FIVE_HOME/mozilla-xremote-client openURL\($url\) && exit 0
$MOZILLA_FIVE_HOME/firefox $url &
else
$MOZILLA_FIVE_HOME/mozilla-xremote-client openURL\($url,new-tab\) && exi
t 0
$MOZILLA_FIVE_HOME/firefox -remote "openURL($url, new-tab)" &
fi
fi

=====Script ends=====

Let me just clarify, I did not write this script. I found it somewhere on mozilazine I can't remember exactly where. Newer versions of Thunderbird may not accept this workaround any more, so don't come crying to me if it breaks anything (don't worry I'm sure it wont :D)
I also seem to recall that there is an easier was to acomplish this, if you are running Gnome I believe all you need to do is set your default browser under Desktop Preferences > Advanced > Preferred Applications I needed this script because I was running KDE.

Hope this helps

Dave.

ps. For problems like this you should really consult the Mozillazine Forums
Flea
LXF regular

Return to Discussion