Linux Format forums Forum Index Linux Format forums
Help, discussion, magazine feedback and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

PCLinuxOS Test Release 4 released!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Linux Format forums Forum Index -> Announcements
View previous topic :: View next topic  
davecs
LXF regular

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 2:48 pm    Post subject: PCLinuxOS Test Release 4 released! Reply with quote

Here's the announcement:

http://www.pclinuxos.com/index.php

The bug that held up the Final release (small number of users freezing on bootup -- not to mention their computers!!) is fixed, loads of extra stuff added. Nvidia and ATi drivers now call a script which automates your setup so you don't have to mess around in the control centre as much.

So what are you waiting for?

Asus Asus M2N32 WS Pro+Athlon AM2/4200+ — GeForce 7600GT — 2Gb Cosair VS RAM — 500Gb WD5000AAKS SATA Drive — PCLinuxOS
Rhakios

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 8:18 pm    Post subject: RE: PCLinuxOS Test Release 4 released! Reply with quote

One problem I have noticed in TR4, I don't know if it was a feature of previous releases, is that it won't install to a virtual SCSI drive in VMWareworkstation5.x (which is the default when Linux 2.6 kernel is selected as the guest OS). It can be fixed by shutting down and creating a virtual IDE disk.
Other than that, installation is very smooth and quick!
M0PHP
LXF regular

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 10:11 pm    Post subject: RE: PCLinuxOS Test Release 4 released! Reply with quote

I'm looking forward to trying this out on my main box tonight. I just wish it was based on debian! Razz
LXF regular

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 10:37 pm    Post subject: Re: RE: PCLinuxOS Test Release 4 released! Reply with quote

M0PHP wrote:
I'm looking forward to trying this out on my main box tonight. I just wish it was based on debian! Razz

Well with Synaptic as a front-end for "apt-4-rpm", and the attention to detail regarding dependencies, you'd be hard-pressed to see the difference!

Asus Asus M2N32 WS Pro+Athlon AM2/4200+ — GeForce 7600GT — 2Gb Cosair VS RAM — 500Gb WD5000AAKS SATA Drive — PCLinuxOS
flashdangerpants
LXF regular

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 11:05 pm    Post subject: RE: Re: RE: PCLinuxOS Test Release 4 released! Reply with quote

when the full fat version is released will i be able to upgrade from tr4 without reinstalling etc?
M0PHP
LXF regular

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 11:23 pm    Post subject: RE: Re: RE: PCLinuxOS Test Release 4 released! Reply with quote

davecs: Yeah I know, I know...it's still good! Smile There's just something in the back of my mind, always there - reminding me I should be using something debian-based if I don't Razz

Just installing it now... Smile Depending on how well I get on with it, I'll probably keep it installed until Fluxbuntu gets released - maybe even longer Cool
LXF regular

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 2:26 am    Post subject: Re: RE: Re: RE: PCLinuxOS Test Release 4 released! Reply with quote

flashdangerpants wrote:
when the full fat version is released will i be able to upgrade from tr4 without reinstalling etc?

You can never be 100% certain, because something can happen, but I think that the final will be TR4 plus a couple of updates. The only new thing that might affect the installation is a script to add "resume=/dev/{swapdevice}" to the append lines in /boot/grub/menu.lst

Or for the non-technical, you won't have to edit a configuration file by hand in order for your laptop (or desktop for that matter) to be able to recover from a "Suspend to Disk". If that is something you don't fancy doing (instrcutions at the site), then by all means hand on for final, otherwise I think you may as well get on with it.

Rhakios

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 9:22 pm    Post subject: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: PCLinuxOS Test Release 4 released! Reply with quote

Hmm got it installed on my laptop now. It took quite some time to get sound working, there wasn't anything I could use on the PCLOS forums, but it started working after I installed devfsd and dkms-alsa-driver and rebooted.
davecs
LXF regular

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 11:51 pm    Post subject: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: PCLinuxOS Test Release 4 released! Reply with quote

Rhakios wrote:
Hmm got it installed on my laptop now. It took quite some time to get sound working, there wasn't anything I could use on the PCLOS forums, but it started working after I installed devfsd and dkms-alsa-driver and rebooted.

Could you let me know your soundcard details so I can report it here? dkms-alsa-driver adds more sound card drivers to the standard kernel, I've never needed it all my sound cards always worked. I'll pass your h/w details to the dev team.

You wouldn't want dkms-alsa-driver installed as standard, it takes so long to compile when you install a new kernel!

Is everything else working OK?

Philbo

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 2:08 am    Post subject: Loving PClinuxOS TR4... Reply with quote

I have installed PClinuxOS TR4 on my Compaq Evo N610c and it runs like a dream. I have never used PClinuxOS before but was advised by a friend after their positive experience. I used a Combination of OpenSUSE & Ubuntu on my PC's, but not PClinuxOS.

The only thing I'm stuggling with is getting my USB wireless to work (DWL-G132) which I'm search the net to find a resolution for.

As I've never used this distro before I have a few questions...

Any one know how to repo's to the package manager?

Can you use Debian or Ubuntu repo's in the Synaptic Pakager manager?

As it was based on Mandriva can you add mandriva sources to the package manager?

I'm trying to find a PClinuxOS repo to install libkdebase4 - any idea's

thanks

Philbo
Rhakios

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 6:29 pm    Post subject: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: PCLinuxOS Test Release 4 released! Reply with quote

davecs wrote:

Could you let me know your soundcard details so I can report it here? dkms-alsa-driver adds more sound card drivers to the standard kernel, I've never needed it all my sound cards always worked. I'll pass your h/w details to the dev team.

I would have got back to you sooner, but sleep and work have intervened. The sound card is:

Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) High Definition Audio Controller (rev 02)

(as identified by lspci). It was and according to the hardware detection tool, still is, using the snd-hda-intel alsa module, which is why I don't know if it was installing devfsd or the dkms package that cured it. I was following two lines of thought when I installed them, and they were the only two packages I installed before it started working. It had been through at least four boot cycles befroe that without any joy.

Quote:

You wouldn't want dkms-alsa-driver installed as standard, it takes so long to compile when you install a new kernel!

I noticed when I installed it, as Synaptic seemed to be hanging, but as top showed cc1 and make were in action, I suspected I knew what was going on.

Quote:

Is everything else working OK?

I was expecting problems with the Intel 945GM graphics and had already found out I could get 915resolution from testing to fix it. However, I didn't even get the fall-back 1024x768 resolution (which has happened with most other distros), I got no X server at all. I fixed this by running XFdrake, the monitor was set up as Custom, but undefined (which was what was causing the problem) setting it to 1280x800x60Hz got me the fall-back resolution of 1024x768 and after installation, using 915resolution got me the correct resolution.
The other bits that don't work, I wasn't expecting to.
roseway
LXF regular

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 6:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Loving PClinuxOS TR4... Reply with quote

Philbo wrote:
Any one know how to repo's to the package manager?

Sorry, I don't understand the question. The default installation comes with an appropriate repo enabled.

Quote:
Can you use Debian or Ubuntu repo's in the Synaptic Pakager manager?

No. They use a totally different package format.

Quote:
As it was based on Mandriva can you add mandriva sources to the package manager?

You can, but it's definitely not recommended. Although PCLOS started off as a derivative of Mandriva, it's been tweaked and recompiled very extensively, and you could mess up your setup by installing packages from Mandriva.

Quote:
I'm trying to find a PClinuxOS repo to install libkdebase4 - any idea's

KDE4 isn't due for release until the autumn. I'm not sure why you would want one component of it now.

Eric
davecs
LXF regular

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Rhakios, I forwarded your replies to the gang and shortly afterwards Texstar informed us that the Intel graphics driver had been moved to Stable.

We need to get more info out about dkms-alsa-driver and when people should install it, that's for sure, and it's one hell of a compile, but if it gets more modern sound systems going, then it's something we have to use!

branvan2k

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Davecs,

I've got a laptop (Compaq Presario C735EM) with Intel 82801H HD Audio (ICH8) and Codec: Conexant ID 5051.
The Speakers don't mute when I plug headphones and I can't find any solution for that.
I've found this thread today and I was wondering if installing kdms-alsa-driver will work for me...
Do you still want info about the installation?

Cheers,
Alba.
Rhakios

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found that plugging in the headphones didn't mute sound either, but I just used to use KMix to do that instead. More recently, I have openSUSE11.0 installed on the laptop and muting does work automatically, so I expect that the next version of PCLinuxOS will be able to as well.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Linux Format forums Forum Index -> Announcements All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: