Linux Format forums Forum Index Linux Format forums
Help, discussion, magazine feedback and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How do you troubleshoot Syllable?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nobber
LXF regular

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 6:17 pm    Post subject: How do you troubleshoot Syllable? Reply with quote

I'm running Syllable 0.6.3 using QEMU. Or I should be, but I can't do anything with it at the moment. Here's what happens.

1. Syllable appears to boot OK, and the login prompt appears.
2. I select 'root', enter the password, and click 'Login'.
3. The screen goes black for a couple of seconds, and then the Syllable desktop background appears, but...
4. ...the mouse pointer's gone, and there are no desktop icons or panel.
5. The mouse pointer, icons and panel remain absent.
6. Go to 5.

I am a Syllable newbie. How do I go about finding out what's wrong?

(History: Syllable was initially working, but at 640x480. I upped the res to 1024x768, which hung the VM. I quit QEMU and rebooted, and the above happened.)
M-Saunders
LXF regular

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 9:41 am    Post subject: RE: How do you troubleshoot Syllable? Reply with quote

You could look at the kernel log, although you'd need to mount the Syllable partition from another Syllable installation (eg the Syllable Live CD). Try re-installing and switching to 800x600 video mode -- it could be that QEMU gets into a tizzy with a higher resolution.

M
Nobber
LXF regular

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 1:07 pm    Post subject: Re: RE: How do you troubleshoot Syllable? Reply with quote

M-Saunders wrote:
You could look at the kernel log, although you'd need to mount the Syllable partition from another Syllable installation (eg the Syllable Live CD). Try re-installing and switching to 800x600 video mode -- it could be that QEMU gets into a tizzy with a higher resolution.

The odd thing is that the login screen itself displays happily at 1024x768, it's just logging in seems to cause the problem.

I'll get the Syllable live CD and see if the kernel log reveals anything. Any idea what file (or whatever) I would need to edit to get the video back down to 800x600 or 640x480?
Nobber
LXF regular

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 1:20 pm    Post subject: RE: Re: RE: How do you troubleshoot Syllable? Reply with quote

Running now with the live CD, I'm looking at /var/log on the Syllable hard disk image. There are four files in there:

desktop dhcpc kernel syslog

And they're all empty. <scratches head>
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Linux Format forums Forum Index -> Other OS All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: