Ubuntu problem - X11

The place to post if you need help or advice

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

Ubuntu problem - X11

Postby Guest » Tue Jun 21, 2005 9:53 am

Installed Ubuntu 5.04 on a Sony Vaio FX705 laptop. Everything going smoothly, except for an annoying X11 problem - when X starts there is a horizontal line of alternate white and black dashes, about an inch (2 cms) long extending to the right of the mouse pointer. It follows the mouse pointer around some of the time, at other times it stays in one place.

Any suggestions for solving this?

RE: Ubuntu problem - X11

Postby youlikeicecream » Wed Jun 22, 2005 4:58 pm

What graphics card does it have ?
youlikeicecream
LXF regular

Postby alloydog » Wed Jun 22, 2005 6:18 pm

A couple of quick searches shows your laptop to have an ATi graphics chip, but either Radeon or Rage. Both these cards have some level of support in XFree86 4.3.0 and onwards, but it will probably be limite to the one of the "Generic" ATi drivers:
Code: Select all
5  ** ATI (generic)                      [ati]       -
6  ** ATI Radeon (generic)               [radeon]    -
7  ** ATI Rage 128 based (generic)       [r128]     -

or
Code: Select all
66    ATI Rage 128              ati

Look in XF86Config to see which driver is used. If it doesn't look right, back-up XF86Config and run xf86config and select the driver that matches the chip-set.

Also, before that though, you look in XF86Config and see if the HW acceleration has been enabled.

Under Section "Module" uncomment (remove the #) the entries, or if their not there, add:

Load "dri"
Load "glx"

then at the ned of the file:
Section "DRI"
Mode 0666
EndSection

That's assuming it is the graphics chip-set that is the problem, it might be the how xfree86 handles the monitor...
But see what happens with the first fix, first.
alloydog
LXF regular

Postby Guest » Thu Jun 23, 2005 12:29 pm

Yes, it is an ATI Rage Mobility but with the generic ATI driver.

Ubuntu is Xorg, not XFree86, and the lines you suggest are already in xorg.conf, though not quite the same places if I remember.

I've just encountered the same problem with Xandros (also Xorg) but not with MEPIS (XFree86). Oddly enough the Ubuntu Live CD does not display this problem even though the contents of xorg.conf are the same.

Postby Guest » Mon Jun 27, 2005 2:37 pm

I've solved the problem in the device section (where it says 'Driver "ati") I added the line:

Option "sw_cursor"

It may be of use to someone else with this problem - suggested by looking in the MEPIS XF86Config file.

I'm actually trying Xandros at the moment - with MEPIS the sound didn't work, with Ubuntu the printing produced gibberish on my printer. In Xandros both of these work correctly, but the display was set to 1024x768 instead of the correct 1400x1050, which Ubuntu managed correctly.

Return to Help!