Help and discussion about non-Linux operating systems

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

Get yer` FREE copy of Solaris .....

Postby Wmsheep » Mon Jan 15, 2007 12:59 am

Wmsheep

RE: Get yer` FREE copy of Solaris .....

Postby BoomSlang » Fri Jan 19, 2007 12:38 pm

Cool, thanks for the link :)
"Excuse me, is that a Microsoft product? Would you mind turning that off, I'm allergic to second-hand ignorance."
-Scott, from CAD
BoomSlang

Is Solaris our friend?

Postby romansky » Fri Jan 19, 2007 4:56 pm

Sun has contributed a lot to FOSS in later years, and that's splendid. It seems, though, that they're targeting Linux as they're rival when pushing the Solaris OS. Wouldn't it be better if supporters united against Windows and Mac, instead of fighting eachother for that lousy one percent marketshare?
romansky

RE: Is Solaris our friend?

Postby M-Saunders » Fri Jan 19, 2007 5:11 pm

I don't think that's a concern. IBM, currently a 'good mate' to the Linux movement, advertises AIX over Linux for certain high-end requirements. If a company starts spreading FUD about Linux then, yes, that's a problem -- but promoting their own products is no big deal.

M
M-Saunders
LXF regular

Re: RE: Is Solaris our friend?

Postby romansky » Sat Jan 20, 2007 9:42 am

M-Saunders wrote:I don't think that's a concern. IBM, currently a 'good mate' to the Linux movement, advertises AIX over Linux for certain high-end requirements. If a company starts spreading FUD about Linux then, yes, that's a problem -- but promoting their own products is no big deal.

M

S'pose you're right, Mike. I'll even admit that, although I use OpenSUSE 10.2, I too have taken Sun up on they're offer and ordered a free DVD, just to see what it is. One should think, though, that with Solaris 10 being a two years old OS, it would look a bit stale compared to the newer Linux distros.
romansky

RE: Re: RE: Is Solaris our friend?

Postby GMorgan » Sat Jan 20, 2007 5:52 pm

Hasn't Solaris 10 been free beer for some time. I know I picked a copy for a look. Much more conservative than Linux, the default shell is cruelly rubbish with it's lack of a command history or tab completion. Hell you couldn't even edit the middle of a command by pressing back (you can default to bash of course). Lack of driver support as well although they do use a stable ABI and Solaris 8 drivers run fine in Solaris 10 (which is how I got my NIC running).

As for age, if you can get hardware support you can install all the modern X11/POSIX software you want. I know there are Firefox 2 and OOo packages out there for it but you can always do things the old fashioned way. The default Java Desktop seems too full of Suns advertising junk to stick with, the other environment they use is CDE.
GMorgan
LXF regular

Postby donoreo » Mon Jan 22, 2007 2:43 pm

I ordered mine. Really, just to have them.
I cannot deny anything that I did not say.
donoreo
LXF regular

Postby Diagmato » Mon Jan 22, 2007 8:38 pm

Ordered a week ago, so should come in a few days?

The screenshots of its java desktop system looks like its trying to be Windows to some degree, as a few Windows users were quick to point out when I showed it to them.
My Blog

Micro$oft gives you Windows, Linux gives you the full house
Diagmato
LXF regular

Postby kilikopele » Tue Jan 23, 2007 2:56 am

I'm with donoreo. I ordered mine just so that I have them. I'll probably just run through an install or two just to try things out and then file them.

But I still cannot deny anything that donoreo did not say. :)
kilikopele
LXF regular

Postby Aquafire » Sat Feb 03, 2007 8:42 am

Ordered mine way back...at least three weeks ago.

Still waiting.

All that "Global warming" must have melted them on the way to Oz. ;)
Aquafire

Postby Nigel » Sat Feb 03, 2007 11:17 pm

I downloaded Solaris 10 last year... I'm running it on an early AMD64 that I failed to get any 64-bit version of Linux to run properly on (the fault is with the hardware, not Linux). But Solaris just works with it... this machine is now destined to replace the old SuSE 8.2 box I'm running as the office Samba server.

Solaris is one of the operating systems I program for, usually Solaris 8 or 9 on Sparc hardware. It's rock solid reliable in the same way that *BSD is. I quite like the Java desktop in Solaris 10 - it's a big improvement over CDE (I never did understand why they dropped OpenWindows for CDE). Containers look interesting too - SUN's take on virtualisation. Haven't had time to play with them yet.

Just remember when making comparisons with Linux, Solaris is more akin to RHEL or SLED than *buntu or Mandriva.
Nigel
LXF regular

Postby Diagmato » Mon Mar 05, 2007 9:54 pm

Still waiting for the disc. Really doubting it will ever arrive.
My Blog

Micro$oft gives you Windows, Linux gives you the full house
Diagmato
LXF regular

Re: RE: Re: RE: Is Solaris our friend?

Postby kilikopele » Sat Mar 10, 2007 9:44 pm

Diagmato wrote:Still waiting for the disc. Really doubting it will ever arrive.

Me too, also. Granted, I'm just a private user who was looking just to put it through its paces, but still: Don't promise something on which you aren't going to come through.
kilikopele
LXF regular

RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Is Solaris our friend?

Postby Ram » Wed Mar 28, 2007 11:21 am

Mine arrived this morning

lubuntu LXDE 13.10 running on AMD Phenom II*4; ASUS Crosshair III Formula MB; 4 GB Ram.....
Ram
LXF regular

RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Is Solaris our friend?

Postby nelz » Wed Mar 28, 2007 12:49 pm

Mine arrived a couple of days ago, after I'd completely given up on it.
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." (Albert Einstein)
nelz
Site admin

Next

Return to Other OS