Linux Format forums Forum Index Linux Format forums
Help, discussion, magazine feedback and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

PCLinuxOS 2007: Test Release 3 released!!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Linux Format forums Forum Index -> Announcements
View previous topic :: View next topic  
davecs
LXF regular

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 1:30 am    Post subject: PCLinuxOS 2007: Test Release 3 released!! Reply with quote

EDIT: Read on, Test Release 3 has been released on Sun 4th March 2007.

--------------------------------------------
Sorry I've been a little busy, but if anyone missed it, Test Release 2 of PCLOS2007 has been released.

A few new changes:

MADwifi (Atheros) drivers now included.
Beryl version now 0.1999.1
Enabling firewall now masks port 113.
Various problems arising from the "early" version of KDE 3.5.6 resolved
bcm43xx wifi drivers have been "renamed" so that they don't get in the way of Ndiswrapper. For those that want to use them, full instructions for naming them back on the site.
Further improvements to LogIn, VideoSafe mode added.

A number of incremental version updates.

And a nice taster of what's to come in the final release: Thac, one of the packagers, has built OpenOffice from source with full KDE integration, and international language support, with plugins for mono and other stuff. Still being tested. It's actually saved some disk space over the "normal" version.

And once out and the urgent stuff cleared, Ocilent1 the kernel developer will be adding Eric Piel's patch in order to enable notebooks to suspend properly, something already present in Mandriva, SuSE and *buntu. I'll be working on the HOW-TO!

All looking good.

Asus Asus M2N32 WS Pro+Athlon AM2/4200+ — GeForce 7600GT — 2Gb Cosair VS RAM — 500Gb WD5000AAKS SATA Drive — PCLinuxOS

Last edited by davecs on Mon Mar 05, 2007 2:27 am; edited 1 time in total
spottedcat
LXF regular

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 12:28 pm    Post subject: RE: PCLinuxOS 2007: Test Release 2 Reply with quote

davecs, since no-one's replied yet I thought I'd keep you company. I've downloaded the TR2 iso and installed to a desktop and my laptop. I thought 0.93 Big Daddy was good, but this is much, much better. Very impressive. And support for the ipw2200 wireless was jaw-droppingly good. I'm still rubbing my eyes with disbelief about how polished and easy configuring wi-fi, at least with this chipset, was. Well done everyone.

One question. If I keep these installs up-to-date with Synaptic, will they morph themselves into the final release once the bug fixes have been issued, or will it be advisable to do re-installs with the final iso? I'll keep an eye on PCLinuxOS forums for any information anyway.
davecs
LXF regular

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah my laptop has ipw2200 wireless, but it's pretty smooth across the board for those chips that are supported.

TR2 will not morph into the "final" because a few things need cleaning up, and a few scripts are not covered by the packaging system. That said, Tex & Co are now coming to the point where there's not much more they can do for 99% of hardware, most of the bug reports coming in are more support requests than bug reports, so all this underlying stuff will be put to bed pretty soon.

The view is that if there has to be a TR3, that it WILL morph into the final, because that will be a question of finally tidying up a few packages.

But anyone who has got used to Texstar will know that his "final" is everyone else's x.0.1 release if you know what I mean, the one where the "post release" bugs got fixed. So I'm reckoning that TR3 will be just about the final product. Expect it soon.

By the way, I've replaced Thac's OpenOffice build over the "normal" one, it's really integrated into KDE, the only fault I can find which I must report right now is the new Quickstarter is not working.

Asus Asus M2N32 WS Pro+Athlon AM2/4200+ — GeForce 7600GT — 2Gb Cosair VS RAM — 500Gb WD5000AAKS SATA Drive — PCLinuxOS
hecatae

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

as mentioned in another thread TR3 of PCLOS 2007 has appeared on the mirrors early this morning.
There is no announcement on www.pclinuxos.com , so will TR3 morph into Final as I'd like to install it?
hecatae

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

burnt tr3 to a cd-r.

faulty iso, wont load livecd.sqfs

edit: okay found the issue, the mirrors belnet.be and pclosusers.com only have 449mb of the iso, but distro.ibiblio.org has the full 690mb iso.

downloading tr3 now, maybe not, only getting 9kbps download speed.
davecs
LXF regular

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 2:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hecatae wrote:
burnt tr3 to a cd-r.

faulty iso, wont load livecd.sqfs

edit: okay found the issue, the mirrors belnet.be and pclosusers.com only have 449mb of the iso, but distro.ibiblio.org has the full 690mb iso.

downloading tr3 now, maybe not, only getting 9kbps download speed.

That's what you get for downloading before the official announcement!!

I've installed it on 2 computers.

On my desktop it's faultless so far.

On my laptop, the CD boots to a black screen, but this is easily dealt with I have posted a thread here:

http://www.pclinuxos.com/forum/index.php?topic=18418.0

I've got full Suspend and Hibernate support now. Everything is working, except the graphics won't restore if I've been playing with Beryl the Peril, and I've nothing to test the PCMCIA socket with. Wireless comes back on following Suspend/Hibernate.

Anyone fancy the final bit of Beta Testing? Please head on over and test this on your computer. Report back to the site.

Texstar is hoping that he has got the underlying base right. and cleaned up a lot of the code, so that any bugs can be fixed through synaptic updates this time. Whilst it's not a guarantee, we're pretty certain this time that if you install TR3, you won't have to re-install when Final comes out.

hecatae

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

finally downloaded, dual-booting 0.93 and 0.94 til 0.94 is final.
davecs
LXF regular

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2007 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If anyone has tried PCLinuxOS Test Release 3, and has had problems with occasional freeze-ups on boot when USB peripherals are plugged in, we are testing a new kernel. Anyone who wants to test the new kernel will need to join the development mailing list, either to see whether the problem is fixed, or for those who never had the problem, to see whether any problems are caused.

We recommend that you keep a stable version on another partition (like hecatae above) or have your personal data on a separate partition or backed up and are prepared to do a re-install.

The link is here: http://www.pclinuxos.com/forum/index.php?topic=477.0

The e-mail re how to sign into the testing repository has already been sent, so you would have to check the March lists.

Thanks for any help you guys can give.

M0PHP
LXF regular

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tut, is it still not ready yet? Shocked Wink
LXF regular

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

M0PHP wrote:
Tut, is it still not ready yet? Shocked Wink

Laughing Very funny Laughing

Well, Texstar is such a perfectionist, it would have been out and 98% of users happy, if it was any other distro. Ladislav Bodnar clearly anticipated that Test Release 3 would be declared final by the time the new LXF came out. I certainly thought it would!

Solutions to problems have been found. But until people have tested them, we don't assume it's fixed.

M0PHP
LXF regular

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahh I understand Smile It just seemed to be in testing for a while and its such a long time since 0.93 :p
LXF regular

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually it gets a mention in the latest Distrowatch weekly: One of the "cons" of PCLinuxOS, according to Ladislav, is the delayed release cycle due to Texstar's perfectionism.

Once 2007 is finalised, it will probably form the codebase for about 3 years, maybe, until GCC4.1 is obselete. You don't have to re-install new versions until the compiler is changed, which is why it's so important to get it right.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Linux Format forums Forum Index -> Announcements All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: