installment \in*stall"ment\, instalment \in*stal"ment\, n.
1. The act of installing; installation.
Take oaths from all kings and magistrates at their
installment, to do impartial justice by law.
2. The seat in which one is placed. [Obs.]
The several chairs of order, look, you scour; . . .
Each fair installment, coat, and several crest
With loyal blazon, evermore be blest. --Shak.
3. A portion of a debt, or sum of money, which is divided
into portions that are made payable at different times;
that portion of a debt payed back in any one payment; as,
the next installment is due January first. Payment by
installment is payment by parts at different times, the
amounts and times being often definitely stipulated.
[1913 Webster +PJC]
4. a part of a broadcast serial. [WordNet sense 1]
5. a part of a published serial. [WordNet sense 2]
instalment UK, US installment noun
one of a number of parts into which a story, plan or amount of money owed has been divided, so that each part happens or is paid at different times until the end or total is reached
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest