Linux Format forums Forum Index Linux Format forums
Help, discussion, magazine feedback and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

ssh script

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ghost

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 2:22 pm    Post subject: ssh script Reply with quote

Hey guys Very Happy

I'm in need of a litle help, and not too sure if here is the right place to ask so...

I'm using Mac OS X 10.4.1 and im trying to make a script that will ssh into my clarkconect box which in turn will run another script.

I would like this script to be able to leave a log of the entire prossece errors and all on my mac.

As this is the first time ive had to do some thing like this i was kinnda hope you Linux/*nix gurus would know this one i did try google first but came up with automated linux install's ?

thanks
nelz
Site admin

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 2:55 pm    Post subject: RE: ssh script Reply with quote

Not sure about the Mac-specifics, but

Code:
ssh hostname script >>script.log

will run "script" on "hostname" and send the output to a logfile in the current directory. The redirection takes place in the current shell, you are logging the output of the ssh command, which in turn is the output of the command it runs, so all you need to do is have your script on the clarkconnect box send its output to stdout.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 3:48 pm    Post subject: RE: ssh script Reply with quote

Ok, that did not work Sad, i can ssh into the Linux box with out the password, now all i need is a mac os x script that will run ssh the run the script on the linux box then leave a log on the mac box ???
nelz
Site admin

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 6:23 pm    Post subject: RE: ssh script Reply with quote

What does "that did not work" mean? What did you do? What did you expect to happen? What happened?I know it works with Linux to Linux, I did exactly that less than an hour before you asked.

Code:
ssh hostname command

runs command on hostname, but all output goes to stdout on the local box, so you only need redirection to log it.

I think you really need to give some more specific information, rather than vague references to unknown scripts and no error messages.
skecs

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2005 7:18 am    Post subject: RE: ssh script Reply with quote

Firstly, have you enabled remote login? It is disabled by default, to enable go to the Sharing Pane in System Preferences.

Secondly, if you have enable File Vault the home folders must be mounted to access them. In other words you need that user to be logged in or you can't access those directories.

You can connect from a terminal using another Mac OS X, so you should be able to using a terminal on Linux.
... (0)>
... / /\
.. / / .)
.. V_/_
Linux Powered!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Linux Format forums Forum Index -> Help! All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: