End of an era?

Help and discussion about non-Linux operating systems

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

Postby shifty_ben » Fri Feb 02, 2007 9:32 pm

I very rarely use my floppy drive anymore, but it certainly won't be getting thrown out and any new boxes I move to will ahve the drive transferred. Well assuming that they are nice enough to keep providing a slot for it that is, if not I'll have to make my own.

When I got my laptop there was no OS on the HD, not floppy drive and you couldn't boot off the DVD drive. In order to alter said setting in the BIOS you needed to boot into DOS and use the supplied software (much like the Thinkpads) in the ned I had to rip the HD out, put it in my external HD enclosure and then put DOS on it before putting it back.

We need floppy drives!
Need a New Signature
shifty_ben
LXF regular

Postby wyliecoyoteuk » Fri Feb 02, 2007 9:34 pm

It would be a good idea of companies supplied their own sticks, which were clearly branded ie easy to spot someone using a non standard stick. And the company stick would be 64-128MB. Thats large enough to be useful, but not so large that you can rip office, vista, the customer database etc.

Actually, in zipped format, quite a large customer database will fit on a 128Mb stick.
And now that 1Gb stick are around £10 or less....
The sig between the asterisks is so cool that only REALLY COOL people can even see it!

wyliecoyoteuk
LXF regular

Previous

Return to Other OS