London shut down by 1 inch of snow?

Non-computer-related chit-chat

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

London shut down by 1 inch of snow?

Postby donoreo » Wed Jan 24, 2007 3:34 pm

According to this story http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/news/arti ... article.do
London has come to a halt.

As a Canadian I laugh :) Then again the same thing happens to Vancouver when they get an inch of snow and the rest of the country laughs at them.

I will admit, much of the country laughed at Toronto in 1999. We had a metre of snow in 24 hours and the mayor asked the army to come in and help. He even did a photo op in a APC.
I cannot deny anything that I did not say.
donoreo
LXF regular

RE: London shut down by 1 inch of snow?

Postby spottedcat » Wed Jan 24, 2007 5:08 pm

I don't know about snow and frozen points, but as I read that link (in a second tab in firefox 2.0.0.1) I noticed that the fan in this laptop was going at full blast and the sensors applet was telling me that the CPU temp had climbed to over 75°C. Top showed that firefox was using >95% of CPU. I closed the tab and firefox CPU usage dropped down to 2-3% and CPU temp dropped. Clicked on the link again and CPU usage went up to 70-80%. Closed the link and CPU usage and temp dropped down again. Did this a couple more times, and it's quite consistent.

Perhaps it's a ploy to melt the ice. :? Anyone else getting this?

I'm running Gentoo if that's at all relevant.
spottedcat
LXF regular

Postby brian » Wed Jan 24, 2007 5:22 pm

I'm getting the same thing here spottedcat, and heaven forbid, I'm logged into XP at the moment. Same thing, firefox sits around 75% then drops when the tab is closed.
brian

Postby spottedcat » Wed Jan 24, 2007 5:42 pm

Thanks for that brian. I've tried the link in Konqueror, which opens a new window, but CPU usage stays in single figures. Intriguing.

OK, people. Can we please have reports on what Safari, Opera, Mozilla and Internet Expunger do? :wink:
spottedcat
LXF regular

Postby Rhakios » Wed Jan 24, 2007 7:38 pm

It's the scrolling news ticker on the right hand side, hover your mouse over it so that it stops scrolling and you will see processor usage drops to more reasonable levels.

Seamonkey is as bad as Firefox (as you might expect) Opera falls between, it has somewhat jerky scrolling and processor usage of about 27% (on my machine anyway).

As mentioned by SC, Konqueror has no trouble with it, processor usage between 1% and 3%. Konqueror wins!
Bye, Rhakios
Rhakios

Postby Rhakios » Wed Jan 24, 2007 9:41 pm

Update: Safari on 10.3.9 just ignores it, hence no processor hit :)
Bye, Rhakios
Rhakios

Re: London shut down by 1 inch of snow?

Postby Marrea » Thu Jan 25, 2007 12:36 pm

donoreo wrote: London has come to a halt.

I work in central London (Tottenham Court Road), commuting in by train from Hertfordshire, and had no problems whatsoever. I do think the media tend to exaggerate at times. :wink:

Mind you, snow in London is rather unusual - so they have to make the most of it for creating mayhem while they've got it.
Marrea
LXF regular

RE: Re: London shut down by 1 inch of snow?

Postby Ram » Thu Jan 25, 2007 1:47 pm

No problems with IE, same issue with FF in SLED 10 under VM

lubuntu LXDE 13.10 running on AMD Phenom II*4; ASUS Crosshair III Formula MB; 4 GB Ram.....
Ram
LXF regular

Shut down after one inch? Then don't come to the Midwest.

Postby phorneker » Wed Feb 07, 2007 4:00 am

Here in the metropolitan Chicago area, we just had three to six inches of lake effect snow, and we are still running. We are used to this kind of weather.
phorneker

Re: Shut down after one inch? Then don't come to the Midwes

Postby MartyBartfast » Wed Feb 07, 2007 9:08 am

phorneker wrote:Here in the metropolitan Chicago area, we just had three to six inches of lake effect snow, and we are still running. We are used to this kind of weather.

Well the forcast this morning said there could be 4 inches of snow overnight, if that's the case then the whole of the South East will stop dead, I' think I'll take the day off with the kids and take the sledge up onto the South Downs.

BTW What's "lake effect snow"?
MartyBartfast
LXF regular

RE: Re: Shut down after one inch? Then don

Postby donoreo » Wed Feb 07, 2007 2:41 pm

Ahhhh yes, no lakes large enough in the UK to cause it.

The wind blows across one of the Great Lakes (Lake Michigan in Chicago's case) and picks up warmer moisture which is then dropped as snow over the cooler land. In Ontario this week the smaller city of Owen Sound got 2 feet in 24 hours of lake effect snow. Buffalo NY is famous for snow because it sits near the east end of Lake Erie and gets lake effect snow almost daily in the winter.

Wiki article: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lake_effect_snow
I cannot deny anything that I did not say.
donoreo
LXF regular

RE: Re: Shut down after one inch? Then don

Postby GMorgan » Wed Feb 07, 2007 2:46 pm

I got no scrolling news ticker. Perhaps my ad filter knocked it out for some reason.
GMorgan
LXF regular

Return to Off Topic