SUSE softmodem Toshiba Satellite

The place to post if you need help or advice

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

SuSE 9.2 and smartlink modem driver

Postby guy13 » Wed Apr 13, 2005 9:53 pm

Hello all,

I have no Auntie Ethel and anyway she doesn't have a dog. However I do have a Toshiba Satellite 1410-604 laptop with SuSE Linux installed alongside XP. Though I've been using Linux for almost two years now I'll be happy if you treat me as a newbie for my problem is this : I used the LXF coverdisc to upgrade from SuSE 8.2 to 9.2 and haven't been able to connect to the internet since. At first sight 9.2 recognised my softmodem and installed the smartlink modem driver (which took me half a year to find in 8.2). Unfortunately something seems to be missing since I can't seem to make the dial up connection work.
I keep getting the feeling that the solution is staring me right in the face but everything I try backfires.

Anyway, here are some of the messages I get :

- the "ifcfg-modem0" file reads :
SuSE Meta pppd (smpppd-ifcfg), Version 1.50 on linux.
Status is: disconnected
trying to connect to smpppd
connect to smpppd
Status is: connecting
pppd[0] died: pppd options error (exit code 2)
terminating

- in /var/log there's a file named "warn" which has a line like the following for every failed attempt :
Apr 10 22:30:35 linux pppd[6155]: unrecognized option '/dev/ttySL0'

the same line appears in "localmessages"

- finally, in "slmodemd" the following error message shows :
error: mdm setup: cannot stat `/dev/slamr0': No such file or directory
error: cannot setup device `/dev/slamr0'

One more thing, in /dev there is a symbolic link from /dev/modem to /dev/ttySL0 but no ttySL0 as such. That doesn't look very logical to me but I think I already tried creating a device without any success.

If anyone has any suggestions other than going back to 8.2 I'd be humongously grateful.

Guy (Belgium)

P.S. I've also tried configuring the modem in Yast as /dev/tty1 or various other options without any result. And I have uninstalled the smartlink driver and then reinstalled it from a tarball, again with no result. By now I've gone through three installs of SuSE and one of XP (cause somewhere along the way I've also crippled that) so what I'm really hoping for is a solution that doesn't start with "format your hard disc and start from scratch ..." (o:

P.P.S. Sorry for first posting this as a reply to "Read this first".
guy13

RE: SuSE 9.2 and smartlink modem driver

Postby Rhakios » Wed Apr 13, 2005 11:37 pm

Have you run YOU to update, there was a problem loading the correct kernel module and getting the device created wih the initial release. This has been fixed for the updates, at least thereafter it worked for me.
Bye, Rhakios
Rhakios

Postby guy13 » Thu Apr 14, 2005 11:18 am

Thanks for the tip but since I can't get on the internet I don't think I can run YOU. Will try it anyway as soon as I have the time.
guy13

Postby Rhakios » Thu Apr 14, 2005 8:17 pm

You could always download the update packages through whatever connection you are using at the moment, assuming it's yours to use of course ;)
Bye, Rhakios
Rhakios

Postby guy13 » Fri Apr 15, 2005 7:52 pm

Thanks a million. A cold beer is waiting for you if you ever pass through my neck of the woods.
I'm almost certain I tried this trick before without success and even this time after uninstalling the old package, installing the new one, shutting down and rebooting there was a moment of total panic when I got to the logon screen in kde only to find that my keyboard was hardly responding (it only gave me the odd capital V or lower case w when I hit k or l or some such nonsense). But in the end after another reboot all turned out well. So thanks again.
guy13

Postby Guest » Sat Apr 23, 2005 4:36 am

I have the same problem with you but after i got the driver rpm from http://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/sis ... 2/rpm/i586 then I installed it I had solved the problem. I use suse 9.2 with smartlink modem now.
Anom

Postby Guest » Tue May 03, 2005 7:51 pm

I'm agast, I upgraded from 9.1 (Working Nicly) to 9.2 and now find myself wishing I knew more about this ttySL0. I needed to get some GTK+ libs, but I didn't need my modem to quit working. Working on a second machine (8.2 SuSE Compaq 1685) to get to internet. Trying to find a link to the updated smartlink drivers.

lhgrubbs@earthlink.net

Postby Guest » Wed May 04, 2005 2:39 pm

SuSE's own update page is now at http://www.novell.com/linux/download/up ... _i386.html

Scroll to the bottom of the list for smartlink-softmodem 2.9.10-3.2 RPM's. Install with Yast and you should be ok.

Good luck

Laptop softmodem

Postby denbro » Tue Jun 21, 2005 6:14 pm

I had the same problem with an Averatec. I solved it by changing the device to ttyS0 rather than modem, it works for me now.
denbro

Return to Help!