Linux Format forums Forum Index Linux Format forums
Help, discussion, magazine feedback and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

PCLinuxOS Test Version 0.94 Beryl Screenshots!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Linux Format forums Forum Index -> Announcements
View previous topic :: View next topic  
davecs
LXF regular

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 12:48 pm    Post subject: PCLinuxOS Test Version 0.94 Beryl Screenshots! Reply with quote

With the release of PCLinuxOS version 0.94 imminent at the end of the month, a pre-release has been made available for testing.

Setting up Beryl/Compiz has been added to the Control Centre, and works nicely. Some compatibility problems with nvidia being worked on. Bug reports to be filed here, and a few already have been:

http://www.pclinuxos.com/forum/index.php?board=35.0

So if you would like to download and test this distro (an ext3 or reiserfs partition of 6 Gb + an existing swap file should do it) and report back to Texstar to iron out bugs before the final release at the end of the month, a description of the release is here, with links to mirrors at the bottom of the page:

http://www.pclinuxos.com/page.php?7

All help is gratefully received.

By the way, one improvement is to allow you to input the national setting of your keyboard on the fly from the live CD - probably my only grouch with earlier releases.

Asus Asus M2N32 WS Pro+Athlon AM2/4200+ — GeForce 7600GT — 2Gb Cosair VS RAM — 500Gb WD5000AAKS SATA Drive — PCLinuxOS

Last edited by davecs on Wed Jan 31, 2007 12:02 am; edited 1 time in total
Rhakios

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 7:11 pm    Post subject: RE: PCLinuxOS Test Version 0.94 released -- testers needed Reply with quote

Just as a matter of interest, bearing in mind that PCLinuxOS is descended from Mandrake, can you upgrade the kernel from the system updater provided or do you have engage in the same awkward cludge that is typical of Mandriva?
davecs
LXF regular

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 1:01 am    Post subject: RE: PCLinuxOS Test Version 0.94 released -- testers needed Reply with quote

You can install as many kernels as you like from Synaptic. When a new one comes out, if it is essential to running certain parts of the OS, there will be a notification at the forum. If you have more than one kernel installed, you get a choice on bootup, the latest one installed being the default. As you uninstall old kernels, they disappear from the bootup menu.

The one supplied on the iso is a standard i586 kernel, you can change it for a ConKolivas kernel (<1Gb or 1Gb-4Gb kernel), or an a64 kernel. You can see my hardware in the sig, and I'm using the 1Gb-ck kernel.

Asus Asus M2N32 WS Pro+Athlon AM2/4200+ — GeForce 7600GT — 2Gb Cosair VS RAM — 500Gb WD5000AAKS SATA Drive — PCLinuxOS
Rhakios

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 7:34 pm    Post subject: RE: PCLinuxOS Test Version 0.94 released -- testers needed Reply with quote

Thanks, I'll bear that in mind. I wouldn't want to dump a distro like Mandriva on someone else, where keeping essential parts of the system updated requires a degree of confidence administering Linux. But if PCLOS can do it through a simple "click here" type routine, then that won't be a problem.
davecs
LXF regular

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 9:06 pm    Post subject: RE: PCLinuxOS Test Version 0.94 released -- testers needed Reply with quote

Other new features are that the "Mandriva" version of KDE Control Centre has gone, and the menu layout has changed a lot. PCLOS forked from Mandrake 9.2, since then stuff does get taken from Mandriva, but it's also taken from other distros, all distros take from each other, but PCLOS has charted its own course for about 3 years.

Anyway, testers with a more critical eye are welcome.

rossi46

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 9:39 pm    Post subject: RE: PCLinuxOS Test Version 0.94 released -- testers needed Reply with quote

I just have one question.

Will I be able to keep my settings that I have in .93? It's taken me absolutely ages to get my machine set-up/configured to just how I like it and I'd hate to have to do it all again.

*EDIT*

I've installed it on my spare laptop and it's recognised the infamous Belkin/Broadcom F5D7011 network card with a little intimidation from ndiswrapper. First impressions are looking good, tbh. Cool
davecs
LXF regular

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 11:44 am    Post subject: RE: PCLinuxOS Test Version 0.94 released -- testers needed Reply with quote

If you want to keep your old "users" there are two things you may have to deal with:

1. You will have to rebuild the icons on your Kicker Panels, because the route to your programs on the menu has changed. Also don't assume that any wallpaper etc you have used will be present in the new version, so save it in your Home area.

2. As there have been no updates since November, it's possible that certain programs will be several versions ahead of what you had in 0.93a, and the configuration file may cause problems. The "dotfile" to configure that program under your Home folder may need to be deleted so it can be rebuit.

The second of these problems will be rare, and I seriously cannot see any other problems at this time.

Rhakios

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 6:09 pm    Post subject: RE: PCLinuxOS Test Version 0.94 released -- testers needed Reply with quote

I see that PCLinuxOS even has a lightweight live distro based on it. It seems that Sam Linux is keeping it's betas close behind the parent distro's beta releases.
davecs
LXF regular

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 10:48 pm    Post subject: RE: PCLinuxOS Test Version 0.94 released -- testers needed Reply with quote

Yes. There are loads of derivative distros out there, if they are designed for use "as is", they can stick with what they have, but if the idea is that they start as a base, adding and updating packages, they'll need to rebuild their base.

SAM is one of the projects at PCLinuxOS, there's a MythTV edition, the AmaroK LiveCD is another, as are Ruby on Rails and the new version of Karoshi to name a few.

We keep finding out about "unofficial" rebuilds sold on ebay for which users will have a shock when they realise the old 2004 repos don't work anymore (pretty soon).

davecs
LXF regular

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 12:00 am    Post subject: Some PCLOS 0.94/2007 snapshots (or Hello Beryl!) Reply with quote

Just thought I'd show a couple of screenshots. These are on my desktop, basically nvidia FX5200 graphics. These illustrate how powerful stuff like Beryl is, because such effects would have overwhelmed my graphics under the previous version.

I am actually getting better stability and speed on my laptop with ATi Mobility X700 graphics using the x11-xorg drivers. It's not on the internet yet, though (awaiting switch to ADSL soon so I can use wireless router) so I haven't done any snapshots on it yet.

Anyway, enjoy!

rossi46

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 11:22 pm    Post subject: RE: Some PCLOS 0.94/2007 snapshots (or Hello Beryl!) Reply with quote

You got the 3D desktop to work with a trusty old FX5200?

That's gotta be a legendary stroke.

Looks amazing.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Linux Format forums Forum Index -> Announcements All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: