Linux Format forums Forum Index Linux Format forums
Help, discussion, magazine feedback and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Internet Exploder

View previous topic :: View next topic  
candy

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 1:59 pm    Post subject: Internet Exploder Reply with quote

Would anybody who looks after Windows XP set ups know if Internet Exploder can be permanently removed from the system as I no long use it for browsing or is it something I have to 'park' in a secure place.

Regards,

A girl in a million
towy71

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 4:16 pm    Post subject: RE: Internet Exploder Reply with quote

It is so built in that it is impractical to remove it, at least in my opinion Wink
Rhakios

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 4:37 pm    Post subject: RE: Internet Exploder Reply with quote

Litepc do an XPlite, as they did 98lite (which is still available). It isn't free though.
candy

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 9:58 am    Post subject: RE: Internet Exploder Reply with quote

Thanks for that link Rhakios

A girl in a million
Ram
LXF regular

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 10:10 am    Post subject: RE: Internet Exploder Reply with quote

Without doing an install of XPlite your best bet is to just remove it via add / remove programs and selecting add / remove windows components and untick ie, this will just remove the short cuts and then it maybe posible to delete the ie folder from program files.. ( try renaming it first )

lubuntu LXDE 13.10 running on AMD Phenom II*4; ASUS Crosshair III Formula MB; 4 GB Ram.....
jjmac
LXF regular

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 10:22 am    Post subject: RE: Internet Exploder Reply with quote

I tried something like the above with IE4 or IE5 in OSR2, it was a very bad move. IE has tenticles !

jm

The FVWM wm -=- www.fvwm.org -=-

Somebody stole my air guitar, It happened just the other day,
But it's ok, 'cause i've got a spare ...
kilikopele
LXF regular

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 3:31 am    Post subject: Re: RE: Internet Exploder Reply with quote

jjmac wrote:
I tried something like the above with IE4 or IE5 in OSR2, it was a very bad move. IE has tenticles !
jm

Agree completely jjmac,
I think it more like a symbiotic cancer. It so entwines itself with other kernel and explorer.exe features that to remove one is to kill the other.

If you remember your history, this OS as web platform is how Microsoft defeated the anti-trust suit by stating that there is no separation between UI and browser. (Fortunately for them, the department of justice had no clue!)

You can tell when M$ steals code and doesn't want to part with it freely: Suddenly, whatever feature it is will become an indispensable part of the OS.
Rhakios

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 8:51 pm    Post subject: RE: Re: RE: Internet Exploder Reply with quote

In point of fact Microsoft lost the anti-trust case and failed to demonstrate that IE could not be separated from Windows OS, largely because they falsified their video evidence.
You might not realise that they lost the anti-trust case because some of it was overturned on appeal and the rest of the measures taken against them amounted to little more than a slap on the wrist.
Wikipedia has a reasonable summary.
<ooh, they even use the "slap on the wrist" phrase, and I wrote the above before I read the article.>
jjmac
LXF regular

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 12:26 am    Post subject: RE: Re: RE: Internet Exploder Reply with quote

Bush the elder ... All the better to spy on the people with, me thinks Evil or Very Mad

jm

The FVWM wm -=- www.fvwm.org -=-

Somebody stole my air guitar, It happened just the other day,
But it's ok, 'cause i've got a spare ...
kilikopele
LXF regular

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 1:47 am    Post subject: Re: RE: Re: RE: Internet Exploder Reply with quote

Rhakios wrote:
In point of fact Microsoft lost the anti-trust case and failed to demonstrate that IE could not be separated from Windows OS, largely because they falsified their video evidence.

Well spank my ass and call me Sally! You're right. I had my history wrong. My bad.

For my penance, I shall use the search and subject myself to every post on this site submitted by 1sf (troll). I think that should be more than sufficient punishment.

King R, thanks for the correction and keeping me humble. At least I was correct in my intent if not my content.

Smile Here fishy fishy.
Rhakios

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 6:06 pm    Post subject: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Internet Exploder Reply with quote

Humility is a wise path to follow, glasshopper. Sometimes I am so humble I amaze myself Smile
kilikopele
LXF regular

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 1:56 am    Post subject: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Internet Exploder Reply with quote

Today I am but a young padawan, but tomorrow I may hold the keys to the whole empire! (cue sinister John Williams soundtrack.)
Rhakios

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 7:48 pm    Post subject: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Internet Exploder Reply with quote

I hope that doesn't cause you to develop any nasty breathing problems.
GMorgan
LXF regular

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 10:16 am    Post subject: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Internet Exploder Reply with quote

Stay away from lava/molten metal is my advice on that ambition.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Linux Format forums Forum Index -> Other OS All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: