[ Site bug ] Poll comment moderation

Comments and suggestions about this site

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

[ Site bug ] Poll comment moderation

Postby CitizenGold » Wed Jan 03, 2007 12:35 am

Hey all,

I noticed a few spams in the current Poll comments. When I tried to moderate them Off Topic I get the following error:

Fatal error: Call to a member function Execute() on a non-object in /var/www/html/modules/NS-Polls/comments.php on line 888

Anyone else getting this too?
CitizenGold

RE: [ Site bug ] Poll comment moderation

Postby Rhakios » Wed Jan 03, 2007 6:37 pm

Well, If I click on moderate I get nothing at all. I e-mailed Mike about them yesterday, in case he hasn't noticed. No reply yet.
Bye, Rhakios
Rhakios

Postby donoreo » Thu Jan 04, 2007 2:28 pm

I think this thread needs to be moderated :) Sorry no help, I just think I am funny!
I cannot deny anything that I did not say.
donoreo
LXF regular

Postby Rhakios » Thu Jan 04, 2007 8:45 pm

Mike replied today and he's mopped up (re-canned?) the spam in the current poll.
Bye, Rhakios
Rhakios

Postby jjmac » Thu Jan 04, 2007 9:44 pm

Iv'e come accross spam in the comments page of the front page article posts. Recently but a while ago. Also notice the 'comment' button is now missing.

jm
http://counter.li.org

The FVWM wm -=- www.fvwm.org -=-

Somebody stole my air guitar, It happened just the other day,
But it's ok, 'cause i've got a spare ...
jjmac
LXF regular

Postby Rhakios » Thu Jan 04, 2007 10:44 pm

I believe Mike posted that he was disabling posts to the front-page stories a while back. Apparently he is now thinking of using similar spam prevention to that found in the blog section to prevent spamming in the polls.
Ho hum, it's all a bit tiresome really. Do these spammers think they are endearing themselves to anyone with this behaviour? May their genitals wither!
Bye, Rhakios
Rhakios

Postby nelz » Thu Jan 04, 2007 10:57 pm

Spammers have a cure for that :)
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." (Albert Einstein)
nelz
Site admin

Postby Rhakios » Fri Jan 05, 2007 12:14 am

But does it work nelz? Time for an LXF review? :)
Bye, Rhakios
Rhakios

Postby ethernet » Fri Jan 05, 2007 9:42 am

If it get much worse, ban by IP. I ended up doing this with a simple PHP script last week. I know it's drastic [and that IPs change] but there hasn't been one bad post since!
ethernet
LXF regular

Postby jjmac » Fri Jan 05, 2007 10:59 am

Rhakios wrote:

>>
I believe Mike posted that he was disabling posts to the front-page stories a while back.
>>

Not sure if it's the same thing, but i think it was the day after i PMed on the spam noticed in the 'comments' section. The site was down for a short time. Possibly that was it ...

ethernet wrote:
>>
If it get much worse, ban by IP
>>

I think IPs are afraid of getting sued by professional rats, the like of SCO, if they show any indication that they concede any 'duty of care'. It creates a precedent.

Not long ago i had a problem that involved being locked out from posting to some sites. I'm on dial up and so i get a dynamic IP allocation. It seems one of their addresses was black listed as a spam relay. So when ever i got that address i was the bunny that had to wear it ...

I figure someone on my providers books must have had a spam trogen pumping them out and got scaned as such. And so listed.

The real solution would be to bane OSes that don't adequately provide some sane security layering, for example windows. Similar to not allowing an unsafe vehicle to travel on the road. I know ... dream on :)

Besides, they make to much money out of the business' that attemp to provide solutions , licences etc, for them (meaning windows land) to ever fix that.

And i think they have been quite successful in educating the public to believe that it's all quite natual and to be expected too. Now there is part of the solution just there.

From what i see on win sites when this is discussed, the average win home user dosen't really __care__, as long as it dosen't effect them to much.

Spoofed return addressing --> make it an IT crime.

jm

jjmac
LXF regular

Postby kilikopele » Sun Jan 07, 2007 8:55 pm

jjmac wrote:Rhakios wrote:
The real solution would be to bane OSes that don't adequately provide some sane security layering, for example windows. Similar to not allowing an unsafe vehicle to travel on the road. I know ... dream on :)

But then I couldn't surf this site from work. That's not an option!

LXF regular

Postby jjmac » Sun Jan 07, 2007 11:08 pm

Thats the problem with regulation, it will always have an intrusive aspect to it. But the overall good needs to be taken into account. Besides if that was the case, you would be using a roadworthy system at 'work' anyway. Either a different model/type, or the existing vehicle would have been fixed.

Some dictator pointing out that 'his/her' country dosen't really need the introduction of democracy, because there a 'nice' dictator ... tends to lack a certaib element of breadth, does it not :)

:)

jm

jjmac
LXF regular

Return to This Website