An Easy Gentoo

The place to post if you need help or advice

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

Postby skecs » Fri Jun 17, 2005 9:32 am

I have to agree with Dick (towy71), Vida haven't shown some basic courtesy by not configuring Portage to use their own mirror, or doing some development work so that Portage could use Bit Torrent and they host a Gentoo SYNC Server that directs the update to the "tracker" server. Then all of the VLOS users would be contributing to the maintenance of the disribution.

However, the software is hosted on an open server with no restrictions on who can access the files so there should be no complaining about people taking advantage of those servers.

My ISP, Internode, host their own mirror servers with lots of content EXCLUDED from the download quota. Everything I access from these mirrors including Linux distros (like Suse, Fedora, Red Hat, Gentoo, Debian, and many more), streaming radio, tucows, games, steampowered are all un-metered. This is the sort of service that should be expected and would reduce the bandwidth requirements of all users and ISPs. That is the point of "mirrors".[/url]
Regards from
Downunder!
.... _
... (0)>
... / /\
.. / / .)
.. V_/_
Linux Powered!
skecs

Postby nelz » Fri Jun 17, 2005 9:38 am

skecs wrote:However, the software is hosted on an open server with no restrictions on who can access the files so there should be no complaining about people taking advantage of those servers.

The software is on the servers for the convenience of Gentoo users. While there may be no legal violation in stealing someone else's resources for your own profit in this case, it does seem rather like opening a shop and using the electricity from the house next door.

The fact that Gentoo is registered as a non-profit entity does not mean others should work to ensure this remains true.
nelz
Site admin

Postby skecs » Sat Jun 18, 2005 6:03 am

skecs wrote:I don't agree with Vida using those resources but there are lots of users who have used packages from other distros servers - Ubuntu => Debian, Linspire => Debian, Suse/Mandrake => Red Hat, rpmfind, etc.

Ubuntu, SUSE andMandrake provide their own servers. Their users may choose to download files from a different server, but that's a world away from YaST or rpmdrake using redhat.com as their default server.

skecs wrote:The easiest way for Gentoo to to overcome this is to post a message saying that these resources are for the use of Gentoo users only.

That wouldn't help at all. You don't see a web page when you install software. Even FTP logon messages scroll past so fast you are unlikely to notice them.
Regards from
Downunder!
.... _
... (0)>
... / /\
.. / / .)
.. V_/_
Linux Powered!
skecs

Postby jjmac » Sat Jun 18, 2005 10:27 am

Yes, its just simple manners (can't spell curtisy ?). As far as drifting on to the site and downloading info/sw ... well, thats what the sites about, so the permission is implcit. If you were to be denied access to areas then they will have that configured as such. The comparision isn't viable. Most sites don't mind cross links, but even then, a note to the webmaster would be expected.

Any one who comes along and paints my house, because they think it needs it, or they prefere it to be a different colour ... grrrrr ... will have trouble (grin)

jm
http://counter.li.org

The FVWM wm -=- www.fvwm.org -=-

Somebody stole my air guitar, It happened just the other day,
But it's ok, 'cause i've got a spare ...
jjmac
LXF regular

Previous

Return to Help!