I'm feeling strangely drawn to my Amigas of late

Non-computer-related chit-chat

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

I'm feeling strangely drawn to my Amigas of late

Postby rossi46 » Wed Dec 20, 2006 7:37 pm

It's true. To the extent that I pulled a handful of old mags down from the loft this afternoon and have been reading [Amiga] Format, CU, User International, Power, The One and Action for the last couple of hours.

The A1200 will be down too, I think. As if I've not got enough to do with all this new Linux malarkey :roll:

LOL

Paul
rossi46

RE: I

Postby nordle » Thu Dec 21, 2006 12:07 am

I did a similar thing a few years back with my Atari 520st. No kdding, my body shuddered as the eary sound of the disk driver click whiring into action brought back a million memories from 16 years ago, all at once, things I'd forgotton about totally.

Unfortunately the sound didn't work, the graphics were terrible, the interface horrible, I'm very thankfull that things have moved on! :)

Good luck with it though!

What was that game on the Amiga, two teams throwing a metal ball into goals at opposite ends, cross between English and America football with guns.
I think, therefore I compile
nordle
LXF regular

Postby rossi46 » Thu Dec 21, 2006 1:17 am

The seminal Speedball 2 by the Bitmap Brothers.

Utter classic game.

Gloom, Alien Breed and Strider are looking promising at the moment.

Can anyone remember how to format an old PC harddrive to fit in an A1200? I did it a few years ago with an old 2 gig one, but can't remember how I did it.

I do remember the case bulging conspicuously at the rear, though :oops:
rossi46

Postby nelz » Thu Dec 21, 2006 9:37 am

Take the top of the case off and tape it in place :)

You can make it fit if you remove some of the metal shielding above the motherboard.
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." (Albert Einstein)
nelz
Site admin

Postby rossi46 » Fri Dec 22, 2006 10:48 pm

Sorry, I know how to make it fit, physically, I was just wondering how to format it with Workbench and could it be done on a PC?
rossi46

Postby nelz » Fri Dec 22, 2006 11:11 pm

Boot from a Workbench floppy and run HDToolBox, then format it from the Workbench menu item,and no.
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." (Albert Einstein)
nelz
Site admin

Postby M0PHP » Sat Dec 23, 2006 10:09 pm

Ahhhh the Amiga :D I was about 8 I think (11 years ago!) when I got an Amiga 500 for christmas/birthday - full set up including a good CRT monitor (no analog TV crap!), speakers and floppy disk boxes! I would spend all day playing Jaguar XJ220, Quick Snack (really enjoyed that game but it broke), Trivial Persuit, and the TTS engine with workbench.

Those were the days ;)
Image Image Image
M0PHP
LXF regular

Postby wyliecoyoteuk » Sun Dec 24, 2006 4:51 pm

I actually have my A1200 networked using a PCMCIA ethernet card, and I run an FTP server on my linux box for ADFs.
The sig between the asterisks is so cool that only REALLY COOL people can even see it!

wyliecoyoteuk
LXF regular

Postby Xraynorm » Sat Jan 06, 2007 7:19 pm

I wonder where the Amiga would be today if commodore had not screwed things up...
C64, Amiga 500, Amiga 600, Amiga 1200 + 030, AMD K62-500, Sempron 2200, P3 Laptop, P4 Laptop, Acer One Netbook (Linux).
Xraynorm
LXF regular

Postby GeordieJedi » Sat Jun 16, 2007 11:30 pm

Ahhh the Amiga, totally loved mine.....still do.

Got my collection of Amiga Formats, and Cu Amiga, mags down from the
loft, last year. Had a major case of nostalgia. Also wound up buying Amiga forver too. (Still trying to get bloody UFO enemy unknown to work....)

Xraynorm - Interesting question tho, If commodore hadnt gone bust, I think it'd be a three horse race with Windows, Macs, and Amiga.
I think that Amiga would have the greater market share over the Mac, but probs loosing out to Windows.

Fav games =
Frontier - Elite 2, Speedball 2, Populus 2, The settelrs, Crazy Cars 3,
wormtris, Cannon fodder, Chaos engine, superfrog, Eye of the beholder 2,
Ufo enemy unknown, and loads more.

Now I need to go fire up UAE.....

Take it easy all
GeordieJedi
LXF regular

Postby Dutch_Master » Sun Jun 17, 2007 1:12 am

Breath new life in your old machine, like run Linux on it ;) http://www.mini-itx.com/ They already have an ATARI, Mac, C64 and SEGA conversion on their site, I'm sure they'll have room for an Amiga ;)
Dutch_Master
LXF regular

Return to Off Topic