Linux Format forums Forum Index Linux Format forums
Help, discussion, magazine feedback and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Suse 9.2 64 bit from HD install - cant mount hda1-3 vfat

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Linux Format forums Forum Index -> Magazine and coverdiscs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
foekker

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2005 12:35 pm    Post subject: Suse 9.2 64 bit from HD install - cant mount hda1-3 vfat Reply with quote

Hello again.

I have found the magazine (see prev thread) and done what it says there. I've put all the files mentioned (boot, media.1 and x86_64 catalogs + all root files on DVD) in c:\suse\.

In the magazine it says I should hit F3 and and change to Harddisk and then run the installation and the installation program will find the files itself. It doesn't, instead it says so and launches the manual install. There I can go and start the installation and select harddisk as source media, and it lists three drives: hda1 hda2 hda3 all with vfat filesystem. Is that correct? I'm running XP and ntfs.. Well, anyhow It complaints that it can't mount any of the drives, or actually it says 'cant find directory' on hda1. I have a c: and a d: drive in XP. The third partition is a recovery partition thats hidden by acer (manufacturer of the laptop).

Any ideas?

best regards,

f.
nelz
Site admin

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2005 3:03 pm    Post subject: RE: Suse 9.2 64 bit from HD install - cant mount hda1-3 vfat Reply with quote

The x86_64 directory you downloaded should be placed in the suse directory you copied from the DVD. This means that if you caopied all the relevant files form the DVD into C:\suse, the downloaded directory should be placed in c:\suse\suse.
foekker

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2005 6:42 pm    Post subject: RE: Suse 9.2 64 bit from HD install - cant mount hda1-3 vfat Reply with quote

Don't think I copied the suse\suse directory. Maybe thats the reason. I'll try coping that too and put the directory there.

Should we wait then with the mounting problem and see if it'll work first? I'll try in the meantime.

thanks

f.
foekker

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2005 7:51 pm    Post subject: RE: Suse 9.2 64 bit from HD install - cant mount hda1-3 vfat Reply with quote

Nope didnt work. Had forgotten to copy as mentioned above, but it didn't help. The installation program still halts with a red ugly box saying it can't find the installation files and that it will enter manual install. There I can start the 'start install or update' where I select source 'hard disk' and then hda1-3 appears all tagged as 'vfat'. By slecting one I get to enter the accused directory, upon which the program responds 'unable to mount hda2' or 1 or 3 respectively.

What to do what to do...

The folder is placed on my C:\ drive as mentioned above and the HD is a ntfs disk under windows XP.

help!
nelz
Site admin

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2005 11:22 pm    Post subject: RE: Suse 9.2 64 bit from HD install - cant mount hda1-3 vfat Reply with quote

Can you post a listing of your c:\suse directory? It sounds like you may still have something copied to the wrong place. It is possible that NTFS is causing the problem, I tested this procedure on a FAT partition, but I doubt it.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Linux Format forums Forum Index -> Magazine and coverdiscs All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: