how can i reduce cpu load?

The place to post if you need help or advice

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

how can i reduce cpu load?

Postby AJB2K3 » Sun Jun 12, 2005 3:32 pm

im running mandriva with the kde frontend. Ive been looking at window managers but i need something that lighter the kde (cpu wise).
NO POST ABOUT EMACS OR TERMINALS!!!
AJB2K3
LXF regular

Postby M0PHP » Sun Jun 12, 2005 3:56 pm

WindowMaker, Enlightenment and XFCE are light window managers. XFCE is the closest look-alike to KDE if you prefer something that looks the same.
M0PHP
LXF regular

Postby jjmac » Wed Jun 15, 2005 1:22 am

If you do a google on it you should find a Linux site that lists a whole lot of different wm's. I can't presently remember what it's called though.

Some good candidates from my end would be fluxbox and fvwm. If you have access to a RH disc they used to have a wm called "AnotherLevel" which was basically "fvwm" with a mega configuration setup (grin). FC ?. couldn't say there either. fvwm is the only one i really know about with any long term usage and is my main desktop ... so i will recomend it as a very configurable, powerfull and visually pleasing manager. But you would need to learn its' basic configuration style of course. Not such a problem once a person is used to it though. Pretty much like most things Linux. It uses two different pre-processor methods to pass its' config set. One based on the "c" preprocessor which seems to be default and another based on "m4". Iv'e found m4 to be the most usefull. It allows for much more flexibility, and just overall configurability than does the "c" preproccessor. www.fvwm.org

Fvwms' site will have a number of downloaderable example configurations available. As i would think, so will the others.

jm
Last edited by jjmac on Sat Jun 18, 2005 7:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
jjmac
LXF regular

Postby alloydog » Wed Jun 15, 2005 4:21 am

You don't say just really what you want it to do? For example, general home office type stuff (word processor, internet)? Also what type of PC are you running it on?

I run a 450 MHz AMD K6, with 512MB RAM, and a 8MB graphics adapter - for regular home use, it runs BeatrIX, which is based on Unbutu/Debian, and uses the Gnome desktop. It comes preloaded with very little, but still has Open Office (which I still find too heavy & have installed AbiWord), Firefox, Evolution (mail) and Gaim (plus a few others) It works a treat on such an old machine, and the desktop is as usable as any. I personally found the others, such as fluxbox, Icewm, xfce and the others a bit too basic (my 4 year old hasn't yet grasped right-click+menus & command line... ;) )
alloydog
LXF regular

Postby M-Saunders » Wed Jun 15, 2005 10:17 am

IceWM is another good choice -- very light, ultra easy to use (apes Windows) and configuration isn't a big hassle either.

Oh, and it just DOES NOT CRASH. I've been running it since 1998 and, aside from one bug that has to be triggered deliberately, I've never had it fail.

OK, that's enough IceWM zealotry. Yeah, Xfce is tip-top for a more fully-fledged desktop without the weight of GNOME; it works especially well with GTK apps such as GIMP, AbiWord etc. Note that if you launch GNOME or KDE apps in a lighter WM, it'll still load up a lot of the desktop infrastructure -- so there won't be a big reduction.

For old machines it's best to use purely standalone apps such as Firefox, AbiWord. GAIM and so forth.

M
M-Saunders
LXF regular

Postby palepaul5 » Wed Jun 15, 2005 11:52 am

If you set up some Easy Urpmi sources from http://easyurpmi.zarb.org/ you will find a choice of about a dozen or so lightweight window managers that are all packaged up for Mandriva. Try a few and see which one suits your way of working best.
H.T.H.
(Y) PJF (Y)
palepaul5

Return to Help!