Motorcycles and Parking

Non-computer-related chit-chat

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

RE: Re: RE: Motorcycles and Parking

Postby Nigel » Tue Nov 07, 2006 12:57 pm

Oh, I don't know - they're tough little bu**ers... Mendips Raceway regularly hold Reliant Robin races, including a figure-of-eight where the last one still running is the winner - it's incredible how long they survive for. No namby-pamby non-contact racing here !
Especially funny is when one of them corners too hard & tips over on it's side - you often see the driver's arm reach out the window & push it upright again !
Nigel
LXF regular

Postby M0PHP » Tue Nov 07, 2006 1:32 pm

I bet they're fun to watch, Nigel :D

I went to see some stock car racing once, it was quite entertaining. Especially when they brought out a "monster truck" and completely destroyed a caravan :P
Image Image Image
M0PHP
LXF regular

Postby Nigel » Tue Nov 07, 2006 4:19 pm

In that case you'd love "Caravandalism"... each year, on the August Bank Holiday, the last race on the program at Mendip Raceway is a demolition derby for bangers towing caravans. They have to have it as the last event - by the end there's so much wreckage over the track it must take them a week to clear it up ! :lol:

Actually, that brings an idea to mind - Ben - is there anything in the rules that says you can't use your parking permit for a caravan ? Get a decent sized one and you've got a workshop as well as a garage...
Nigel
LXF regular

Postby shifty_ben » Tue Nov 07, 2006 4:48 pm

Thats not a half bad idea, may have to look into that one. I'm expecting a letter in the next few days to say how the meeting went, with any luck it will be good news though I'm not holding my breath.
Need a New Signature
shifty_ben
LXF regular

Postby nelz » Tue Nov 07, 2006 8:38 pm

AFAIK you can't park a caravan on a public road unless it's attached to a taxed and insured vehicle. I don't think putting a bike inside constitutes attached :(
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." (Albert Einstein)
nelz
Site admin

Re: RE: Re: RE: Motorcycles and Parking

Postby M0PHP » Tue Nov 07, 2006 8:48 pm

nelz wrote: I don't think putting a bike inside constitutes attached :(

Attached with what, though? Rope? Long enough to go from the front, through a window and onto a bike? 8)

By the way, I think the flat-bed truck is the best idea if you can get hold of one cheap enough or loan one. It shows the council policy up for what it is, a load of crap - you get to keep 3 vehicles in the same place, for a third of the price they want to charge you to keep 2!

I'm not a bike person myself, but I do hope you manage to resolve the problem with parking as its just one of those stupid things that councils do. The most recent council stupidy story that springs to mind is the painting of double-yellow lines on a road after a car had already parked on an "unlined" road. The painters had actually gone around the wheels of the car :shock:
Image Image Image
M0PHP
LXF regular

RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Motorcycles and Parking

Postby shifty_ben » Tue Nov 07, 2006 8:59 pm

Nice! Yea I am intending on pressuring them until I get at least a creditable reason as to why they cannot do it. Getting hold of a flat bed should be of no issue.

You are probably right about the caravan Nelz, so I will gave to get a motorhome ;) actually thinking about it a horsebox with an engine would be perfect, its got tonnes of space and its classified as a vehicle :D
Need a New Signature
shifty_ben
LXF regular

RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Motorcycles and Parking

Postby jjmac » Tue Nov 07, 2006 9:35 pm

Howdy shifty,

I think you should try and contact a 'legal aid' group. Or a civil advocacy/liberties group. As they will have the relevant knowledge, and time, to get the quickest solution. If there is a group like that you can contact. In the inner Sydney suburbs they exist and can at times be effective. Actions you take will cost you time and that will cost you money. It's an old bureaucratic leverage point.

>>
they issue one permit per household for £30 a year.
>>

Is there that much traffic there.... One per household ... like they figure ... the husband, the wife, the two to three kids ... good_grief. To think people like that actually have power. I lived at a place where we had to get a council sticker to put on a vehicle to allow local parking at one time. In my case a bike, but there was no charge. If you didn't have the sticker though ,,, they would swoop on you. I can remember chasing this damn tow truck driver up the street once, on foot. I'm standing there and he drives by, with my friggin car hooked up to the back of his truck. Another story though. Parking after a certain time, about 5 mins, own fault though.

>>
Great! I thought, until I found the relevant document on their site, they are going to charge £60 a year for the second permit!

I have checked, and I can park both our bikes with room for another in the space absorbed by a Ford Focus (Pretty much the smallest car I have seen in the zones, there are a lot of Volvo Estates) so I am buggered if I am paying £60 to park a second bike in less space than a car would use with one £30 permit.
>>

Yes, thats blatant profiteering on their part. Some advocacy group may be able to lobby on that point.

I like the truck idea but .... can you afford all that. Would there be a neighbour handy who could help out ... shed, front yard ... i expect that would already have been looked at though.

Lifes a pain in the input buffer enough with out having to put up with madness like that.

All i can think of ... Good Luck

jm
http://counter.li.org

The FVWM wm -=- www.fvwm.org -=-

Somebody stole my air guitar, It happened just the other day,
But it's ok, 'cause i've got a spare ...
jjmac
LXF regular

Re: RE: Motorcycles and Parking

Postby Ram » Wed Nov 08, 2006 9:20 am

nelz wrote:
Nigel wrote:Ben - what happens if you just park on the pavement outside your house ? Technically you're then blocking the public footpath rather than parking without a permit...

Technically, you're parking and blocking the footpath :(

Part of the problem is that the law requires vehicles to be parked parallel to the kerb unless in a bay marked otherwise, so parking two bikes in the space needed by one car is technically illegal anyway. The council could give you £60 in tickets every time they felt like it.

The flatbed idea gets my vote, and would probably get you on the local TV news :)

2 Bikes can be parked parallel to the pavement in the space of one car...

Flatbed good idea for the media but very unpractical in the end, having to ramp up the bikes day in day out.
Ram
LXF regular

Re: RE: Motorcycles and Parking

Postby nelz » Wed Nov 08, 2006 9:59 am

Ram wrote:2 Bikes can be parked parallel to the pavement in the space of one car...

Unfortunately, the law stipulates "parallel to and close to the kerb" :(
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." (Albert Einstein)
nelz
Site admin

Postby shifty_ben » Wed Nov 08, 2006 11:25 am

True but given that bays are marked out (or to be more accurate one really long bay running parrallel to the pavement) how do we stand there? IF your vehicle does not run outside of the line surely that doesn't break the law?
Need a New Signature
shifty_ben
LXF regular

Postby nelz » Wed Nov 08, 2006 11:31 am

Quite possibly. AFAIK, the part I mentioned only applies to unmarked roadside parking. Any marked bays override this - otherwise motorcycle bays would be illegal. I'd suggest asking the Citizens' Advice Bureau about this.
nelz
Site admin

Postby shifty_ben » Wed Nov 08, 2006 12:29 pm

Well I figue I will see what they say about this meeting, the prbolem with CAB is that the council have set up a new all-in-one premises for everything like that, and I could well end up with one of the councils people acting on behalf of CAB. Not that I don't trust the council or anything ;)
Need a New Signature
shifty_ben
LXF regular

Postby towy71 » Wed Nov 08, 2006 1:27 pm

With CAB you can ask to speak to someone who isn't a council employee and any adviser worth his salt would tell of any conflicts of interest
still looking for that door into summer
towy71

Postby shifty_ben » Wed Nov 08, 2006 2:02 pm

Well hopefully I will receive a letter in the next few days saying that they agree with me, and I can park both bikes there under one permit or for a second permit costing no more than the first permit.

Course I'm not holding my breath, but once I have seen the letter I will evalute the next steps, I still like the flatbed idea tho :D
Need a New Signature
shifty_ben
LXF regular

PreviousNext

Return to Off Topic