Assembly 80x86.

Code junkies hangout here

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

Assembly 80x86.

Postby GMorgan » Wed Oct 18, 2006 6:50 pm

I've started my CS course at Cardiff and am about to delve in to the wonderful world of assembly language. We haven't started coding yet but I'm wondering what tools are available for writing and debugging assembly language in Linux. We will be using the UCR standard library at some point (maybe, its been mentioned but its not a certainty).

I've been told that despite the fact there are portability issues between Windows and a decent OS we won't be going deep enough at this point to uncover any of them so decided I may as well look at the Linux tools and avoid rebooting.
GMorgan
LXF regular

RE: Assembly 80x86.

Postby M-Saunders » Thu Oct 19, 2006 8:47 am

NASM is an excellent assembler (and includes ndisasm, a disassembler). Make sure your tutors don't force you to use GNU 'as' -- the syntax is horrible, and it's only designed to deal with GCC's output.

M
M-Saunders
LXF regular

Postby GMorgan » Thu Oct 19, 2006 10:52 am

Cheers I've had a look at their sourceforge site. Just hope I don't do anything stupid now.
GMorgan
LXF regular

Postby M-Saunders » Thu Oct 19, 2006 11:17 am

There's no such thing as stupidity in assembler! Except popping the call return address into your AX register, then wondering why the program falls to bits after a ret. Oops.

M
M-Saunders
LXF regular

Return to Programming