Linux Format forums Forum Index Linux Format forums
Help, discussion, magazine feedback and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Tedious rendering

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Linux Format forums Forum Index -> This Website
View previous topic :: View next topic  
donoreo
LXF regular

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 4:00 pm    Post subject: Tedious rendering Reply with quote

I was going to mention it before, but finally it has annoyed me too much. This site renders horribly in FF (Windows, Linux, and Mac). The left column is fast, the centre is so-so but the right column is freaking annoying. It is so slow to actually render, and then the middle column adjusts size when it does.

Honestly, I have not tried in any other browser.

Anything that can be done about this?
M-Saunders
LXF regular

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 4:38 pm    Post subject: RE: Tedious rendering Reply with quote

It all looks fine in FF here (Linux and Windows). I can't see that there's anything in the right-hand pane that would cause a slowdown -- the advert image is stored on the LXF server, along with the rest of the site.

What's the spec of your PC, and what type of connection do you have?

Anyone else having similar problems?

Mike
nelz
Site admin

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 5:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Tedious rendering Reply with quote

donoreo wrote:

Use the ExtraLite theme, it's much faster. Click on My Account in the left hand menu and go to the theme section.
Diagmato
LXF regular

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 7:02 pm    Post subject: RE: Re: Tedious rendering Reply with quote

I used to have rediculous problems whilst in USA, on dial-up, but here it seems to be fine (broadband).

If the right hand images havent been cached (first visit to page), then the right hand does take a noticable time to finish.

[edit]

This seems to vary - sometimes it comes up the moment the centre section does, other times it takes roughly 3 seconds longer to show up.

Micro$oft gives you Windows, Linux gives you the full house
donoreo
LXF regular

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 8:34 pm    Post subject: RE: Re: Tedious rendering Reply with quote

It is the same on ANY of my machines (T43 Thinkpad, AMD 3300, G4 1Ghz Mac). I will try the different theme.
kilikopele
LXF regular

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 1:00 am    Post subject: Re: Tedious rendering Reply with quote

nelz wrote:
donoreo wrote:

Use the ExtraLite theme, it's much faster. Click on My Account in the left hand menu and go to the theme section.

That's a great tip. I didn't even think I was rendering slow, but I'm now rendering more quickly. Thanks!

(I'm also not getting the Windows IE "problem" icon in the lower left.)
donoreo
LXF regular

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 2:22 pm    Post subject: RE: Re: Tedious rendering Reply with quote

This lighter theme is faster. The biggest speed increase is because there is no right hand column Smile
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Linux Format forums Forum Index -> This Website All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: