Linux Format forums Forum Index Linux Format forums
Help, discussion, magazine feedback and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Niuniu?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Linux Format forums Forum Index -> This Website
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Diagmato
LXF regular

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 10:23 pm    Post subject: Niuniu? Reply with quote

For a while now, there has been multiple users logged into the site as 'Niuniu'. Either multiple people decided to pick a unique name, and register, and all be on at the same time without posting anything, or there is a bot, or whatever.

Just a heads up. I have taken a screenshot if needed.

Micro$oft gives you Windows, Linux gives you the full house
Rhakios

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 10:43 pm    Post subject: RE: Niuniu? Reply with quote

You might have have noticed last weekend multiple users of the type blehrer* logged in similarly. I assume it is some sort of bot, but it has not succeeded in posting anything. I think Mike has beefed the subject filters up a bit.
spottedcat
LXF regular

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 10:43 pm    Post subject: RE: Niuniu? Reply with quote

On 3rd September, 6 varieties of blehrer* signed up and I noticed that five of them were still on line the following morning. Thought it strange at the time. Something for the admins to look into?

Edit:, you beat me to it, Rhakios. Smile

Last edited by spottedcat on Fri Sep 08, 2006 10:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
Rhakios

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 10:44 pm    Post subject: RE: Niuniu? Reply with quote

Snap!

I win.

Very Happy
Diagmato
LXF regular

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 11:36 pm    Post subject: RE: Niuniu? Reply with quote

with phpbb, bots shouldnt be able to sign up - it has a CAPTCHA system on login (if enabled by the admin, and is a recent version - this hasnt aways been there).

Saying that, it doesnt seem to stop all bots. If they are signing up from the same email domain, then banning their email domain will stop em good.

Micro$oft gives you Windows, Linux gives you the full house
M-Saunders
LXF regular

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 8:48 am    Post subject: RE: Niuniu? Reply with quote

Lo,

The 'blehrer' variations posted spam comments to the front-page news stories, which I removed. Occasionally we get some bot signing up and posting comment spam -- very rarely in the forums though. It's not big enough to make any big changes at the mo, but if it becomes a regular problem I'll add captcha or something similar.

M
Rhakios

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 7:59 pm    Post subject: RE: Niuniu? Reply with quote

I see the Niunius are back again tonight. No spam yet though.
spottedcat
LXF regular

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 8:11 pm    Post subject: RE: Niuniu? Reply with quote

They've been breeding. Six more variants 'signed up' today and ten are logged on at the moment. According to 'who is online', all ten are 'searching the forums'. I wonder what they're looking for. The mother pod perhaps?
Rhakios

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 8:31 pm    Post subject: RE: Niuniu? Reply with quote

I only count nine niunius now, not all nine are new niunius (try saying that after ten pints). So it seems that the niunius revisit the forums as well. How odd.

I think you're right SC, they are aliens, they've come to take 1sf (troll) away (at last!).

Laughing
spottedcat
LXF regular

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 8:50 pm    Post subject: RE: Niuniu? Reply with quote

I think 1sf (troll) has already had a close encounter of the third kind. How else would you explain his spelling? Confused
Rhakios

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 9:32 am    Post subject: RE: Niuniu? Reply with quote

Well niuniu is definitely a spambot. I've done a quick google and found some other forums where there are multiple niunius registered (important distinction, there are some genuine niunius), and where there are any posts they are spam.
M-Saunders
LXF regular

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 10:13 am    Post subject: RE: Niuniu? Reply with quote

Yes, it's comment spam for the news postings. Time to get out the mop and bucket...

M
Rhakios

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 3:27 pm    Post subject: RE: Niuniu? Reply with quote

So I see. So all of the 10 most commented news stories are ones to which the bl**dy thing has posted comments. I notice on the front page that some stories are attributed comments that aren't there, presumably from the same source. Ho hum.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Linux Format forums Forum Index -> This Website All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: