Porting to Windows

Discussion topics, Linux related - not requests for help

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

Postby sandyman » Wed Jun 08, 2005 5:42 pm

andychannelle wrote:
The problem is, though, that they might see this as 'doing enough', especially as DWMX runs better under Linux than under WinXP.

You jest I take it. Ran like about as well as Open Office(on Linux) the last time I saw it. Until there is a native app/suite on the lines of Dreamweaver/MX2004 Suite I'll have to keep XP on the Thinkpad
sandyman

Postby andychannelle » Wed Jun 08, 2005 7:43 pm

I've been using DreamweaverMX happily (and snappily) on an Athlon 2400+/512MB and there is no noticable difference in terms of performance running it on the same machine in Windows. OO.o has a slow start up speed on all architectures, but I've stolen a trick from MS Office: I just throw OO.o Writer in my start up items and it's available once the system has booted. Booting takes slightly longer, but I only do it once a day, and that usually when I'm making coffee in the morning.

Andy
andychannelle
LXF regular

Postby sandyman » Thu Jun 09, 2005 2:49 pm

Maybe so but on my old Thinkpad T22 ouch.. MX2004 runs faster natively

Strange about the OO.o thing. I actually thought it was snappier on Windows. I don't know enough about all distros or the download version but a custom install would be nice (a la Windows). At home I only need a Word Processor. The rest of it is "T**s on a bull" for me. Abiword covers my needs.
sandyman

Previous

Return to Discussion