Linux Format forums Forum Index Linux Format forums
Help, discussion, magazine feedback and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Linux Format: The Essential Read for All Linux Users?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Linux Format forums Forum Index -> Magazine and coverdiscs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
optimaloptimussupreme

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 1:56 pm    Post subject: RE: Re: RE: Re: nigel Reply with quote

Linux is not AmigaOS, and LXF is also trying to reach a more professional audience

THanks god, Amiga os is better-well till the amigaos was used as a base for the new linux for the Itanium=Hombre clone so now that linux is true unix
due to it beign based on the best os amiga os3.92. 4.0 is just windos - so dont go there.%) There is true profesionlism . Oh and alot of amiga
users, till the hombre came out are in the linux communtiy -why not it was invented on an amiga and that version is still on the best version
well until now as described above. Pci express is the zorro 4 slot zorro 7 slot what every you want to call it. Oh by the way did you know whay no body
could make new amiga hardware.Intel owns the chipsets. Which is how the ITanum came about which at his point is 4 parisc chips in one -realt-time.

You wouldn't want LXF to use MacFormat or PC Format as a template, would you ?
But they are both very successful magazines in their own environment.

Template means as you should know various sections used -like programing as been asked bring that out and use it more often.
among other things.

Please explain how the Motorola 68000 series chips, on which the Amiga was based (IIRC), were multitasking in a way that x86 chips aren't ?
Surely with a single processor machine, it's the operating system that determines whether you get multitasking or not ? I thought that Linux
was conceived from the very beginning to be multitasking, like UNIX is. Hell, even Windoze claims to have (not very good) multitasking these days.

Man nigel , first linux ISNT Unix its linux well until now. ITs the whole setup motorola invetd the x86 archtiecture in 1947 and it hasnt changed since
True,smaller resitors. YOur competion Pcresource says in a prime example.
x86 single task -which also antoher bad point are 8bit layerd becuase its cheaper then the 16bit layered as they started off with on the 286.
ask your self this how does a anything multitask not unlike a care factory many people -robot arms do differnt things at the same time in real-time
no ibc(ibm compatible) waite states - which you loose real-time then and there. Truthfully on the human does true maultitasking and real-time.
The Amiga-Hombre is always compared to the human cell no other paltform is. Why the archteicture is the same - asymetric - this enables multitasking.
Of course the os helps. one bad doesnt make it good . Great os and great hardware make it period. Well micksoft redifiens things to make it look like
its doing it as you well know - or it tries to by out he other company so it cant say anything about it.

Besides if you dont know this...humm, you can go to any site worth anythign and they will say the same thing.

I'm sure Fedora Core 4 will turn up on the coverdisks soon - the other Fedora releases have. I don't understand what you are saying with regard to
SuSE Pro 3 (do you mean SuSE 9.3 Pro ?) and royalties. Please explain...

Well sell it, they dont want to give it away so when you put fedora core 4 and suse pro 3 or any newer version - sell it for -ie liek the
annual amiga special version -25 us dollars and suse gets wantever agreed % for allowing the full pro version on there.
- and spliting up the mag to 2 communitys would be a death trap. ie one games mag another profssional.
Just split the maginzs into sections - not unliek the latest amiga format heck if you want an interview by me email me back so you could put out a
special mag for 25 us dollars onthe new amiga and put old stuff and new stuff on 2 dvds. I could help .Its not retro as it has new amiga..Hombre stuff.
also.

If this doesn't help, I don't care - yeah thats your humor %)

as I think my better half got a shiny new PC around that time.
you think wrong that pc cant do half the stuff the amiga can. try putting a amd64 in an old amd motherboard or putting a new intel chip you cant-
simply put x86 archtiecture sucks even intel admits to it .Hum I can put a powerpc G4 on an Amiga 1000- hum it was done it was recorded in amazing amiga
and yours amiga format - i think.

There's 4 tutorials in the "AF Creative" section - one on getting onto the Internet, one on OctaMed (music software), one on Real3D (3D modelling) and finally one on Blitz, covering writing an HTML display program (aka web browser). 2 pages of programming in total.

There is an interesting 3 page article on getting NetBSD running on an Amiga... and 12 pages of games reviews !

If I get time later in the week I'll pull out a few more at random and see if the programming content was any higher.

See and yes there where many programming content ie the guy that won a contest from making photogentics off of the Amiga e contest. Oh yeah Paul.

HOMBRE IS HERE
nelz
Site admin

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 2:43 pm    Post subject: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: nigel Reply with quote

I love this post, it has really made my day. The statements are even less accurate than the punctuation Smile

optimaloptimussupreme wrote:
linux is true unix
due to it beign based on the best os amiga os3.92.

There was no AmigaOS 3.92, and 3.9 came out in 2000, so Linus would have needed a time machine to use it as a base for Linux.

Oh and alot of amiga
users, till the hombre came out are in the linux communtiy -why not it was invented on an amiga

This just gets better Smile Linux was originally written for i386 only, with no intention of cross-platform compatibility. It was only later that it was ported to other architectures, like m68k.

Pci express is the zorro 4 slot zorro 7 slot what every you want to call it.

Dave Haynie, designer of the Zorro system, has stated that he wouldn't have bothered with working on it if PCI had come out sooner, due to PCI being better.

Oh by the way did you know whay no body could make new amiga hardware.

The Amiga IP is owned by Gateway.

Just split the maginzs into sections - not unliek the latest amiga format

What, like News, Reviews, tutorials, Cover discs etc? That's a good idea, I wonder how LXF would look if paid out like that. Let's open any issue just to see.

heck if you want an interview by me email me back

I'll take you on with that. how about something like the GNOME vs. KDE piece, we could call it "Fact vs. Fantasy" Smile

you think wrong that pc cant do half the stuff the amiga can. try putting a amd64 in an old amd motherboard or putting a new intel chip you cant-
simply put x86 archtiecture sucks even intel admits to it .Hum I can put a powerpc G4 on an Amiga 1000- hum it was done it was recorded in amazing amiga
and yours amiga format.

So I can just rip the CPU out of this iBook and shove it in my A2000 or A4000? Cool! Where's my screwdriver? Why did I spend all that money on PPC accelerator cards for my Amigas when I could just force a G4 in the the 68040 processor socket?

If I get time later in the week I'll pull out a few more at random and see if the programming content was any higher.

Well, there was a series on programming ARexx, by Nick, which I didn't take too much notice of because I'm a far better ARexx hacker than he could ever be Razz, and I wrote a six part JavaScript tutorial. So yes, there were quite a few tutorials. AF used a good template for these, where they grouped them all together towards the back of the magazine.

Last edited by nelz on Mon Jun 06, 2005 4:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
Nigel
LXF regular

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 3:25 pm    Post subject: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: nigel Reply with quote

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

Nelz, you beat me to it...

I was surprised at just how similar the layout of the AF I dug out last night was to LXF... far more so than I remembered. Which is no bad thing, because I think the layout is pretty good.

Quote:
motorola invetd the x86 archtiecture in 1947 and it hasnt changed since

Now come on... the transistor wasn't invented until December 1947 (and no, I'm not old enough to remember it Smile ), and it was at Bell Labs, not Motorola.

You got me interested in this Hombre chip - all the Amigas I used were 680x0 based. So I looked it up. Hombre is/was a chipset based around an HP PA-Risc processor. It's not a forerunner of it. It sounds interesting, though.

Quote:
x86 single task -which also antoher bad point are 8bit layerd becuase its cheaper then the 16bit layered as they started off with on the 286.
ask your self this how does a anything multitask not unlike a care factory many people -robot arms do differnt things at the same time in real-time
no ibc(ibm compatible) waite states - which you loose real-time then and there. Truthfully on the human does true maultitasking and real-time.
The Amiga-Hombre is always compared to the human cell no other paltform is. Why the archteicture is the same - asymetric - this enables multitasking.
Of course the os helps. one bad doesnt make it good . Great os and great hardware make it period. Well micksoft redifiens things to make it look like
its doing it as you well know - or it tries to by out he other company so it cant say anything about it.

Besides if you dont know this...humm, you can go to any site worth anythign and they will say the same thing.

Thing is, realtime and multitasking are two completely different things. The Amiga was multitasking. So are Linux, UNIX, HP-UX, AIX, SunOS, Solaris, MacOS, OS-X, VMS, MVS, Windows NT and George3 (now that really does date me !). I don't think any of them can be classed as realtime systems, though. From what I've read, Hombre was designed to act as a realtime graphics accelerator, which ain't quite the same thing.

Quote:

If this doesn't help, I don't care - yeah thats your humor %)

Glad you realised that... it was meant that way Wink

Nigel.
jer1ch0
LXF regular

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 11:25 pm    Post subject: RE: Re: RE: Re: nigel Reply with quote

Love the mag and it's getting and looking better all the time. Please give Jono, Hoyt and David a bigger column.Love the Mailserver and Answers section and they should be bigger. The artwork in the "What on Earth" section is terrible - always - as is the old black and white stock photography (recently used in the php tutorial)
However I have gone from buying four pc mags a month to just one - Linux Format. No contest. Keep up the good work.
Flea
LXF regular

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 2:07 am    Post subject: RE: Re: RE: Re: nigel Reply with quote

nelz wrote:
I'll take you on with that. how about something like the GNOME vs. KDE piece, we could call it "Fact vs. Fantasy"

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing ROFLMAO Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
guy
LXF regular

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 8:37 pm    Post subject: RE: Re: RE: Re: nigel Reply with quote

optimaloptimussupreme what are you on?
Can I have some?

btw, didn't Linus start out with an Amiga? He was only goaded into writing Linux when he moved on to a "Grown-up" x386 box that only ran broken OS like MS-DOS and Minix.
Hudzilla
Site admin

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 10:40 am    Post subject: RE: Re: RE: Re: nigel Reply with quote

'lo,

Please take your flame wars elsewhere. This is not a thread about Amiga Format, Mac Format, or Flame Format, and by posting here you're just muddying the water in what are serious questions about the magazine.

Paul
Nigel
LXF regular

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 11:22 am    Post subject: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: nigel Reply with quote

Hudzilla wrote:

Please take your flame wars elsewhere. This is not a thread about Amiga Format, Mac Format, or Flame Format, and by posting here you're just muddying the water in what are serious questions about the magazine.

Sorry Embarassed

I did try to answer your questions seriously - see my first post in this thread.

Nigel.
evilnick

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 1:14 pm    Post subject: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: nigel Reply with quote

Hudzilla wrote:

Please take your flame wars elsewhere.

Paul

spoilsport Wink
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Linux Format forums Forum Index -> Magazine and coverdiscs All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: