Linux Adverts..????

Discussion topics, Linux related - not requests for help

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

Should Linux be advetised on telly...?

1. Yes!
67%
2. No!
7%
3. Depends on who would pay for the adverts!
27%

Total votes : 15

Linux Adverts..????

Postby hairymunky » Sat Jun 04, 2005 6:11 pm

see the rivals must be down to their last squillion zillion dollars as they're advertising all over the telly (God I hate the advert!!). If you ask me they should give out free toilet paper with the advert!!!!

Maybe the big players in the Linux neck of the woods should come up with an advertisement to promote Linux to more mainstream users. Then with more users, more demand, maybe more commercial software/hardware developers would take a bigger intrest and start porting more apps/drivers/games to Linux....

.....ahhhhh wouldn't that be a nice day :)
Linux powered Astronomy
hairymunky

RE: Linux Adverts..????

Postby Nigel » Sat Jun 04, 2005 8:10 pm

IBM did run a series of Linux ads last year... hopefully they'll do some more
Hope this helps,

Nigel.
Nigel
LXF regular

RE: Linux Adverts..????

Postby wyliecoyoteuk » Sat Jun 04, 2005 8:41 pm

As tv viewing figures continue to decline year on year, it may turn out to be a self-solving problem :)
The sig between the asterisks is so cool that only REALLY COOL people can even see it!

wyliecoyoteuk
LXF regular

Postby logandi » Sat Jun 04, 2005 8:48 pm

Absolutely not. This site's server would melt under the strain of all the installation help requests from people who bought the video co-pilot.

There's no helping these people. Don't encourage them.
:shock:
logandi

Postby hairymunky » Sat Jun 04, 2005 8:53 pm

logandi wrote:Absolutely not. This site's server would melt under the strain of all the installation help requests from people who bought the video co-pilot.

Hmmm never though of that..... and my head would burst with friends/family etc constantly moaning about how to do things (not much different from now really) :wink:
Linux powered Astronomy
hairymunky

Postby towy71 » Sat Jun 04, 2005 9:54 pm

Yes but moaning about something you care about and know how to sort. They will come to love it too!

This isn't the only help website checkout this link

Dick
still looking for that door into summer
towy71

Postby jjmac » Sun Jun 05, 2005 3:41 am

As long as it was done well ... and not just a cohersive expression that much of it really is.

jm

Code: Select all
          -|-   If the system is the answer, then the question
                           must have been really stupid                 -|-
http://counter.li.org

The FVWM wm -=- www.fvwm.org -=-

Somebody stole my air guitar, It happened just the other day,
But it's ok, 'cause i've got a spare ...
jjmac
LXF regular

Postby towy71 » Sun Jun 05, 2005 6:40 am

cohersive?? this is a new word too me and my dictionary :?:
still looking for that door into summer
towy71

Postby andychannelle » Sun Jun 05, 2005 9:25 am

AFAIR Linspire are planning some US TV ads. I 'beta tested' some flash-based adverts earlier this year and the plan was, I think, the ones that got the best feedback would be produced professionally. I suggested they highlight the lower chance of virus attack...

Andy
andychannelle
LXF regular

Postby jjmac » Sun Jun 05, 2005 11:22 am

>>
cohersive?? this is a new word too me and my dictionary :?:
>>

(grin), Yeah ... i kinds figured that had to be a sic :)

>>
I suggested they highlight the lower chance of virus attack...
>>

Yes ... but ... all most people (MS) want to know is "is it easy to install an get up and running". I don't think they realy believe in trogen/viral things ... untill it's presented directly in their face of couse. And spam ... thats just bad people doing bad things ... nothing to do with aspects to their MS mail program :roll:

A persons dog, could lose faith in them if they get stuck halfway though an installation. Or, after the instal, they can't get things to function.

I don't really believe the "be like windows" direction is the correct solution there either. But clear and readily available instruction on how to get the facilities configured for use is. Having every thing pre-configured and turned on will just lead to the same problems that MS cause in that regard. That is, open port nightmares.

jm

Code: Select all

-|-  If the systems the answer, then the question
                   must  have been really stupid              -|-
jjmac
LXF regular

Postby ggsinclair » Wed Jun 08, 2005 12:04 pm

I would like to say yes to this, however, I do not think that Linux is quite ready for the mainstream yet (I await torrents of abuse!!).

Having said that I have not tried Linspire yet and I have heard that it is pretty user friendly.

People need to be educated on the differences between the operating systems before they are sold it. As a community we have to remember that the majority of people want something that is easy to run and works with most, if not all, hardware.

If the big players in the market like Dell, Evesham put some real effort into building machines that they could sell as an alternative to MS machines this would help as all hardware should already be installed and compatible. Dual boot machines could also be offered at this stage too if people wanted it.

This would mean that people who bought these machines would have the usual technical support lines which would make transition easier.

Am I talking sense here or am I completely off track?

Gordon
ggsinclair
LXF regular

Postby linuxgirlie » Wed Jun 08, 2005 12:35 pm

I checked yes. But.....I feel its the little things that count..whats the point of having a big adverts when people can't get hold of Linux (or they can and don't know what on earth to do with it) We need people like HP, IBM, Creative Labs etc etc to start putting a little penguin on thier hardware boxes if its compatable. I also want to be able to open up a misco catelogue and be able to choose linux as an option against microsoft.

When this is done then we can think about adverts.
My knowledge comes with no warranty...........

Server operating system designed for schools:http://www.linuxschools.com
linuxgirlie
LXF regular

Postby Flea » Wed Jun 08, 2005 3:32 pm

Absolutely YES!! Even if only to serve as a massive ego boost :lol:
The question is, what is a mahnamahna?
The question is, who cares?
Flea
LXF regular

Postby jjmac » Fri Jun 10, 2005 2:19 am

>>
.I feel its the little things that count..whats the point of having a big adverts when people can't get hold of Linux
>>

It's kinda a bit like the chicken and the egg scenario in a way. For Linux to get out there it needs to be known. For that to happen it needs to get out there ... and as it does so ... then so to will the usability enhancements have to improve.

I see it a little like the way in which the "make" program got it self developed/invented. It just had to be done ... other wise a whole bunch of programmers would have gone completely batty as a result (grin). In that, often, things don't happen because someone decides they should. It generally occurs either by accident, as was the case with the original Linux expression ... LT had no idea the impact that his "hobby" OS was really going to have. The world was just ripe at the time. Or, by necessity, as in "make". Both are evolutionary processes. One represents the mutation, the other, environmental selection.

All that can really be done along those lines, is to nudge the ball and get it rolling. After having just gone right through the ASUS site trying to get info on my new board (A8V-D) i'v been left in a somewhat, semi-state of shock ... at just how much the orientation is all to do with MS. seems thats the only OS in the world, according to ASUS ... oh, yes, Mac also exists, but only kinda. Linux does get a verrry brieeef mention. But then, only in passing. Does ASUS like Ms ... i don't think they give a flick really. It's where the market is, is about all their concerned with.

So Linux must advertise ... thats obvious. The only real issue is the style of advertising engaged in. There muusst be lots of people besides my self who get pissed off with the level of attack that adverts often aim at. Some of it just goes straight for the back lob/animal areas. And they know it works... Notice how it's getting embedded in modern tv shows now, ( so suubbbtleee ).

Linux has to remain different. Different/alternative is good ... thats the message. Its' come this far, which is to far now to just blow, or lose out to popularist methods. The development of desktop ease, installation ease ... without sacrificing the enhanced UNIX like security model, and the "lots of small tools that all work together --- limited only to the degree a person can imagine how to use them" UNIX like model ... will occur by necessity, not by a specific decision. After all, all the great programs, like great art works ... they will create themselves once someone starts them off with a sketch. Bill himself only started becoming amiable due to business necessity, not by personal decision. I think it may have actually been a firm kick in the butt from one of his high-paid publicity advisers whose advice was ignored once to often concerning "how we express demeanour when leaving a private meeting and bumping into the press" type of thing. So, advertising may be just whats been needed to get that nudge going. Besides, most people, and most people don't do computers ... if it hasn't been seen on tv, then it probably doesn't really exist :roll:

It's not cheap advertising on tv either, so i guess it will be up to the larger supporters to decide on the form.

jm
http://counter.li.org

The FVWM wm -=- www.fvwm.org -=-

Somebody stole my air guitar, It happened just the other day,
But it's ok, 'cause i've got a spare ...
jjmac
LXF regular

Return to Discussion