Linux Format forums Forum Index Linux Format forums
Help, discussion, magazine feedback and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Arch Linux feature... please?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Linux Format forums Forum Index -> Magazine and coverdiscs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
VLegacy

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2005 10:08 pm    Post subject: Arch Linux feature... please? Reply with quote

Perhaps LXF could review Arch Linux? I switched my desktop machine over to it from Gentoo, and have been very pleased.
waterwingz

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2005 1:50 am    Post subject: RE: Arch Linux feature... please? Reply with quote

I used Arch for a while and really liked their package management and the overall look and feel of the system. Except that I could never make my fonts look as good as those I had when I used Fedora. So I switched back.

Having said that, an article in LXF about Arch would certainly be more interesting than yet another article about the latest version of SUSE (yawn).

Twisted Evil
VLegacy

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2005 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My fonts looked terrible for a long time, but I eventually read the LDP's Font HOWTO, which helped me improve them tremendously. I didn't start using Microsoft's fonts, which the how-to suggests, but the other advice did the trick. It also explains quite a bit about fonts in general, setting out clearly what Anti Aliasing and Hinting are, for example.
andymg

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 1:04 am    Post subject: Arch Linux feature... please? Reply with quote

I have been a Linux Format subscriber since the issue 10 & think that the heavyweight distro's have received far too much attention. I switched from SuSE to SlackWare to Debian to Gentoo then to Arch Linux. It is still on all of my PC's 2 years later for very good reason: Arch is becoming very popular for mid-level users because it combines the best of Slackware's simplicity, Debians/gentoo's package management and gentoo's speed (did I say it was i686 optimized?). The user community is also superb -if you have a problem (eg:fonts!) just look in the WiKi for your answer...
If Linux Format run another mini-distro round-up I'm gonna go round the bend! Come on guys, take a look at some of these other up & coming distro's. If I had seen a review on Arch Linux earlier -I'd have converted a lot sooner & saved myself a packet on the 6 monthly Suse upgrade cycle!
nelz
Site admin

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 1:12 am    Post subject: RE: Arch Linux feature... please? Reply with quote

LXF69 has three of the smaller (but not mini) distros on the DVD, one of which is Arch, which is also on the CD.
VLegacy

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2005 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent! Thanks!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Linux Format forums Forum Index -> Magazine and coverdiscs All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: