Apple to switch to Intel chips!

Discussion topics, Linux related - not requests for help

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

Do you think Steve Jobs made a good decision to switch to Intel chips?

Poll ended at Fri Aug 05, 2005 1:59 pm

Yes, this would open new avenues for Linux distribution.
50%
No. Apple should stick with what works.
50%

Total votes : 8

Apple to switch to Intel chips!

Postby phorneker » Mon Jun 06, 2005 1:59 pm

I logged on this morning and found an article in the online edition of USA Today regarding Apple Computer's decision to dump IBM for its PowerPC chips in favor of Intel processors.

Here is the link to the article:
http://www.usatoday.com/money/industries/technology/2005-06-06-apple-intel_x.htm

On one hand, this would allow all of the x86-based distributions such as Fedora Core, Mandriva, Slackware and SuSe to be installed on future versions of the Mac-Mini as well as other machines Apple will come out with using the Intel chips.

On the flip side, the PPC-based distributions will suddenly be limited to only those that have older Macintosh PPC-based systems.
phorneker

RE: Apple to switch to Intel chips!

Postby Nigel » Mon Jun 06, 2005 2:31 pm

Wait for the official announcement, if any. This has been rumoured many times before.
Hope this helps,

Nigel.
Nigel
LXF regular

Postby guy » Mon Jun 06, 2005 4:43 pm

They seem to be pretty strong rumours.
Some interesting reading at:
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/06/06/apple_intel_analysis/

I think the poll is missing a couple of options:
* It'll make no real difference to Linux
* They can do what they want. We'll live with it.
"Klinger, do you know how many zoots were killed to make that one suit?" — BJ Hunnicutt
guy
LXF regular

Postby Nigel » Mon Jun 06, 2005 6:24 pm

Well I'll be darned... it's actually true this time

http://www.apple.com/pr/library/2005/jun/06intel.html

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
Hope this helps,

Nigel.
Nigel
LXF regular

Postby alloydog » Thu Jun 09, 2005 4:43 pm

The Linux issue aside, I think it will hurt Apple's image, because when they used M68xxxxx's and now PPC, they were Mac's and they were different. Once they start using Intel x86 architecured porcessors, they become just another PC, and at that, one with proprietry hardware designs, so regular off-the-shelf add-ons & upgrades will not be usable.
alloydog
LXF regular

Postby Rhakios » Thu Jun 09, 2005 6:59 pm

I expect that, as is currently the case with modern Apple towers, graphics cards, hard drives and RAM will be upgradeable. The question is whether processors will be as well.

The other question is how great a range of hardware OS X for x86 will support. If they try to make it as promiscuous as possible then people are going to ignore the license and install it their own hardware, which will surely put a dent in Apple's hardware sales. Indeed, it will open them up to all the piracy problems that Microsoft currently have.

It should be interesting.
Bye, Rhakios
Rhakios

Postby sandyman » Thu Jun 09, 2005 7:53 pm

If you check out online you will see that although it will be possible to install Windows or Linux on a "Mactel" box the converse will not be true. The lockout will be done through hardware and you can bet your a** that any manufacturer who aids in any "hacks" will get sued.

Again if you check out online the consensus is that if anything it is liable to hurt the move of Linux to the desktop more than Apple

Just my 2p
sandyman

Postby Rhakios » Thu Jun 09, 2005 8:23 pm

Their license already forbids installing on non-Apple boxes (there are some non-Apple PPC desktops available), so I don't really see them changing either. But I bet a lot of people are going to have a go at getting OS X to run on their own hardware.
Bye, Rhakios
Rhakios

Postby sandyman » Thu Jun 09, 2005 8:56 pm

Like I said, that will not happen due to hardware lock-in. Apparently it may be possible if people are prepared to write their own motherboard drivers etc. However if people start doing that sort of "crack" and trying to make it available I reckon that the result will be a lockout from the hardware manufacturers vis a vis the FOSS community.
if you want to run OS X buy a Mac
Last edited by sandyman on Fri Jun 10, 2005 5:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
sandyman

Postby Rhakios » Thu Jun 09, 2005 9:40 pm

I already have one, thanks.
Bye, Rhakios
Rhakios

Postby jjmac » Fri Jun 10, 2005 1:17 am

>>
Apple Computer's decision to dump IBM for its PowerPC chips in favor of Intel processors.
>>

Nope, haven't read the article yet ... but just wondering ... would they be customised processors specifically for apple. Or off the shelf. Locking out for a specific processor wouldn't be hard to do.

jm
http://counter.li.org

The FVWM wm -=- www.fvwm.org -=-

Somebody stole my air guitar, It happened just the other day,
But it's ok, 'cause i've got a spare ...
jjmac
LXF regular

Postby sandyman » Fri Jun 10, 2005 5:51 am

Rhakios wrote:I already have one, thanks.

Me too :D
sandyman

Postby youlikeicecream » Fri Jun 10, 2005 12:22 pm

Isnt the MAC OS based on a UNIX kernel ? doesn't that mean we can do whatever we want to do with the bloody things ... ? i refer once again to an essay on digital freedoms

www.nick-andrew.net/Documents/digital-freedom.shtml

We bought, we own it. I can do what I like to MY playstation / My MAC / My Software that I bought. I think that American (and now EU Law) is intent on removing any freedoms that we have as consumers and wish to reduce us tom mindless un-innovative morons. Roll-out Linux
youlikeicecream
LXF regular

Postby Rhakios » Fri Jun 10, 2005 6:54 pm

No, they use a kernel derived from BSD, the BSD license allows people to derive things for commercial use. Some of Apple's code is released under an open license(s), you can find it here.
Bye, Rhakios
Rhakios

Postby sandyman » Fri Jun 10, 2005 8:07 pm

It's a Mach (Carnegie Mellon) Micro Kernel with a modified FreeBSD on top.

The FreeBSD licence is totally different to the GPL. Thats why M$ (allegedly) used the FreeBSD TCP/IP stack in earlier (current?) versions of Windows and did not have to declare it. It also explains their attitude towards SAMBA in the ongoing EU case.
sandyman

Next

Return to Discussion