Whats your favourite musical instrument?

Non-computer-related chit-chat

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

What's your favourite musical instrument?

Bass guitar
11%
Guitar
47%
Piano
11%
Clarinet
No votes
Flute
11%
Saxophone
11%
Recorder
No votes
Drums
5%
Violin
No votes
Harpsichord
5%

Total votes : 19

Postby M-Saunders » Wed Feb 22, 2006 5:14 pm

Marrea wrote:Guitar, because it is so versatile. So many types: classical, flamenco, acoustic, electro-acoustic, jazz, electric, slide, etc.

You forgot 'air' :-)

M
M-Saunders
LXF regular

Postby Marrea » Wed Feb 22, 2006 5:46 pm

M-Saunders wrote:You forgot 'air' :-)
M

Oh yes, sorry - that has the most distinctive sound of all !
Marrea
LXF regular

Postby ElectraComplex » Wed Feb 22, 2006 6:59 pm

Marrea wrote:
M-Saunders wrote:You forgot 'air' :-)
M

Oh yes, sorry - that has the most distinctive sound of all !

he meant air guitar being the most versatile.
ElectraComplex

Postby Flea » Thu Feb 23, 2006 3:02 am

I agree with Marrea. Esp. because I love finger picking. Been (trying to) learn guitar for a year or so now, not really much good I'm afraid.
The question is, what is a mahnamahna?
The question is, who cares?
Flea
LXF regular

Postby towy71 » Thu Feb 23, 2006 8:44 am

pah! no hammond organ option and what about the serpent? glockenspiel? tubular bells? cello? tuba?
still looking for that door into summer
towy71

Postby M-Saunders » Thu Feb 23, 2006 9:52 am

Didgeridoo?

M
M-Saunders
LXF regular

Postby Flea » Thu Feb 23, 2006 12:15 pm

Well if you were going on geekiness, you can't beat homemade instruments - Cigar box guitar, Wash tub bass, even homemade kazoos but this beats everything (no pun intended) :D

p.s. there is an active and growing comunity for CBG's centered around http://launch.groups.yahoo.com/group/cigarboxguitars/ been meaning to build one for a long time now. Even bought a few empty cigar boxes.
The question is, what is a mahnamahna?
The question is, who cares?
Flea
LXF regular

Postby ElectraComplex » Thu Feb 23, 2006 1:17 pm

Flea
with a name like yours, you shoud be a bassist :D
ElectraComplex

Postby ajCham » Thu Feb 23, 2006 2:20 pm

Piano, for it's depth and versatility. To paraphrase Jools Holland, when you play a piano you are conducting an orchestra of ten musicians.

I can't think of any musical style that can't be played on piano (although there are probably one or two). Also, many great songs are composed with one, even if the resulting piece is played without it.

The only thing that lets it down is it's lack of portability, which is why the guitar comes in at a respectable second for me.
ajCham

Postby shifty_ben » Mon Feb 27, 2006 5:07 pm

On the Guitar vs Bass debate im gonna stick my oar in, in the UK (and US) the bassist does tend to be someone seen as less talented than the lead guitarist, but if you look at reggae the most talented player in the band is usually the bassist. I think given the amount of improvisation a bassist can do, it is a far more difficult instrument to play creatively and well. Sadly my favourite instrument - the theremin :D
Need a New Signature
shifty_ben
LXF regular

Postby ElectraComplex » Tue Feb 28, 2006 5:24 pm

the bassist does tend to be someone seen as less talented than the lead guitarist

i'm not aware of that. while there may be some naive and ignorant individuals that do genuinely believe that the bass is a "poor mans guitar", its certainly not a widely held belief by any stetch of the imagination.

but if you look at reggae the most talented player in the band is usually the bassist.

the skill of the musician depends a lot on the type of music that they play..... hence, what level of musicansip is expected of them.
genre's like jazz require a very high level of musicianship from all the musicians. the level of musicanship required from the bass player in jazz is a lot more than is required from the guitarist. in rock, its mainly the guitarist thats central. as you quite rightly say, in genres such as reggae and funk, its the bassist who is central and requires much more skill than is required from the guitarist.
ElectraComplex

Postby risc_user » Sun Jul 30, 2006 5:40 pm

What? No theremin option?
Or electric kazoo?
Oh well, piano it is.
risc_user

Postby Wmsheep » Mon Jul 31, 2006 12:27 pm

Hmmm, another one coming down on the side of the Bass Guitar here.

used to play Double bass at school and very easily moved over to Electric bass (fretless, of course) later.

Personally, I think it`s a VERY underrated instrument, even though it is primarily a rhythm instrument.
Wmsheep

Postby bluesmax » Mon Aug 21, 2006 6:49 am

Let's see! If I start on the lower E string on the guitar and play the 5th fret, what do I get - A, of course! Ah, but the Bass is so much more technical, so what happens there? 5th fret E string - A! Maybe there's really no difference, except in the number of strings usually associated with each instrument. And, just maybe, there's no difference in the level of talent it takes to play either. I've been palying for over 40 yrs, the biggest "advantage" I see with the guitar is in fingerstyle playing where you can play both the bass and melody at the same time. That doesn't mean it takes more talent, just that the instrument is more versatile. And, in truth, nearly all of the best musicians are able to play a variety of instruments and play them quite well. All in all, I think any argument about who is the better musician - is balderdash! jmpo
bluesmax

Postby ScottyDave » Mon Sep 18, 2006 5:47 pm

1slipperyfish (troll) wrote: it's better than a bass though, as i always thought they were for people like me who couldn't play guitar :D
paul

Thats why I started to play bass, its like large print and two les strings to work out.
ScottyDave

PreviousNext

Return to Off Topic