User' Folder in /home/ilias locked...no access!!!

The place to post if you need help or advice

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

User' Folder in /home/ilias locked...no access!!!

Postby ilias » Mon Jun 06, 2005 10:46 am

hello.
I had an installation of fedorre Core on my machine, on two partitions. One partition was the root filesystem were / was mounted, and on the other partition /home was mounted.
I wanted to put a new distro on my computer. So i erased the / (root) partition and installed it there...for some reason it doesn't work, but anyway I don't care about this at the moment.
When I started my machine with knoppix live cd to copy somes file from my home folder (which is /home/ilias, which as mentioned /home is a separate partition) knoppix says that the folder is locked and I can not access the contents of the folder. I can see the /home/ilias folder with a lock, and I cannot access it.My MSc dissertation is there and I need it urgently
Please help...I need it desperately.....
ilias

Postby M0PHP » Mon Jun 06, 2005 10:53 am

As pointed out in another thread and also in the Knoppix FAQ: http://linuxformat.com/index.php?name=P ... opic&t=450
M0PHP
LXF regular

Postby ilias » Mon Jun 06, 2005 11:02 am

Yes but while I was in the old operating system the /home/ilias/ folder was accessible only by root and by me logged in as ilias...now none of these users exist...I can see the partition, ica change permissions, but i can not unlock the /home/ilias/ folder to access the contents. The partition is modifiable, but the folder is not since I can not access it
ilias

Postby M0PHP » Mon Jun 06, 2005 11:21 am

Mount the drive as read-write, and try

# chown -R root:root /home/ilias
# chmod -R 777 /home/ilias

to reset the permissions.
M0PHP
LXF regular

Postby ilias » Mon Jun 06, 2005 11:33 am

ok cool...i'll try it out...thanks for the quick reply
ilias

Return to Help!