Doing the broadbnd shuffle..

Non-computer-related chit-chat

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

Doing the broadbnd shuffle..

Postby crispibits » Thu Jul 20, 2006 6:55 pm

Hi All,
Just got my MAC from Orange/Wanacharge, so I'm looking for another ISP. I seem to have narrowed it down to Eclipse, Freedom2Surf and Madasafish. I'm looking for £15 a month 8Mb. I'm not bothered about 'unlimited downloads' - I'd rather go for speed over quantity (quite happy with 2Gb limit). Does anyone have any recommendations, or warnings?
Orange are fine, just too expensive, and won't regrade me for free :(

Cheers,
Crispin
I'm not a spammer - honest!
crispibits
LXF regular

RE: Doing the broadbnd shuffle..

Postby spottedcat » Thu Jul 20, 2006 7:13 pm

I've been with Eclipse for about a year now and I am very happy with them. I regraded (free - and saved £1 a month for twice the download limit) to the 8Mbs service in late April, but nothing much happened to speeds until June. I think that was down to issues at BT wholesale. Speeds are good now. Downloads from the Ubuntu servers fairly sizzle down the line, but I've given up doing the various speedtests. I don't think they mean much at all.

Outages have been infrequent and my few calls or emails to customer support have been promptly, courteously and above all intelligently answered. Another ISP to consider is ZEN. I've heard it's good, but have no personal experience. And have you tried the compare ISP option at:
http://www.adslguide.org.uk/ ?
Try it. I believe it's based on customer perceptions. Makes interesing reading, particularly when you compare the likes of Tiscali with Eclipse and Zen. Last time I looked, Freedom2surf wasn't being rated much above the average.

Edit: - just remembered. With the capped Eclipse services you can opt either to have your speed throttled if you go over your monthly limit or (the default), you get charged £1.75 per Gb over your limit. They don't mention this (or it's very well hidden) on their web-site. Strange, because that and the monthly contract were the two principle reasons for me choosing them in the first place.
Last edited by spottedcat on Thu Jul 20, 2006 7:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
spottedcat
LXF regular

Postby crispibits » Thu Jul 20, 2006 7:21 pm

Cheers spottedcat. I was tending towards Eclipse in any case - it's good to hear some feedback like that. I have tried adslguide.org.uk, but it seems to have gone from being a good review site to a load of vitriolic abuse hurled at whichever ISP you look at! Oh, decisions decisions... F2S seem to have a good offering - 5Gb at 8Mb and unmetered between 1am - 6am (perfect for distro downloading), and a static IP, but they seem to get either really good reviews, or utterly slated, depending on the month!
crispibits
LXF regular

Postby spottedcat » Thu Jul 20, 2006 7:26 pm

I was editing my post when you replied. Have a look at my edit. I like the idea of paying the £1.75 on the few occasions I need to go over my monthly limit. I don't think any other ISP offers this or at least they didn't last year when I looked.
spottedcat
LXF regular

Postby Nigel » Fri Jul 21, 2006 8:33 am

I'm also thinking of moving away from Wannacharge - it was a good deal when I first signed up (when they were Freeserve), but is looking rather expensive now (£28 per month uncapped 512K). They do cheaper tarrifs, but all with low-looking caps on them.
I've also rather gone off Orange in the past couple of months, so will be changing cellphone provider when my current contract is up.

The Eclipse deal sounds interesting. My family play Toontown a lot, especially during school holidays, and I have no idea how much traffic we actually generate/receive so I have been wary of capped services, but the idea of just getting an extra charge on those months you do go over rather appeals to me.

How do you go about getting your MAC from your current ISP ?

Let us know how you get on with the switchover, crispibits; I'm particularly interested in any gap in the service and any hassles with Wanadoo/Orange's billing department !
Nigel
LXF regular

Postby crispibits » Fri Jul 21, 2006 9:00 am

Hi Nigel,
You just ring Orange customer service and tell them you'd like a MAC code. When they were Wanadoo they'd actually try and keep hold of you, so would offer a free month rather than give you a MAC - which I did a few times. Now they're Orange they just went 'oh, ok, we'll email it to you within three days'.

Madasafish also do this 'pay extra for more Gb'. It's £2 per Gb (or part thereof), but you get 5Gb included in your allowance - so already 3Gb (or £5.25 worth in Eclipse terms) more than Eclipse. If you decide to go for Madasafish, use the promo code 'CHEAPER' in when you order, then it's 10.99 a month for 6 months, followed by 16.99 a month for 6 months - works out at 13.99 a month overall. Oh, and a static IP address.

Now that I've written all that down, I've almost convinced myself! Last thing to check is traffic shaping - this isn't done on Eclipse Home, but I'll need to check Madasafish...
crispibits
LXF regular

RE: Doing the broadband shuffle..

Postby crispibits » Fri Jul 21, 2006 10:08 am

Just got this from Madasafish:
Hello Crispin,
Thank you for your interest in our MAX Broadband.
I'm proud to say, no traffic shaping, no throttling!
The package that you're interested in, MAX, does exactly what it says on the tin: it's 5GB of usage a month and you can use that at any time of day - no peak and off peak times you need to worry about. I would like to note that the 5GB includes uploading as well as downloading.

That's done it for me. I'll let you know how smoothly it all goes,
Cheers,
Crispin
crispibits
LXF regular

Postby spottedcat » Fri Jul 21, 2006 11:30 am

Nigel, the capped (and pay £1.75 for each extra Gb) Eclipse service is their 'Home Broadband' service - which suits me fine. They also do 'Evolution Broadband' which is uncapped but which has a so-called fair usage policy - in other words, do too much p2p stuff in peak hours and they'll increase your contention ratio. I don't know whether that's of any use to you, but worth checking out on their website.

The information from Madasafish that crispibits got sounds interesting, but I'm slightly worried about the ISP name. :wink: Nothing to do with a certain slippery forum member I hope. :roll:
spottedcat
LXF regular

Postby Nigel » Fri Jul 21, 2006 11:41 am

IIRC Madasafish are tied up with Rupert Murdoch's empire somehow... they were heavily promoted in the Sun when they started up a few years back.
Sounds like they're worth a look, though, despite that.

crispibits - did you get through to an Orange call centre in the UK, or somewhere on the Indian subcontinent ? The "service" from the latter, along with the way in which they started charging for itemised bills on my cellphone 18 months into a 2 year contract, is why I'm not too happy with them at the moment.
Nigel
LXF regular

Postby crispibits » Fri Jul 21, 2006 12:10 pm

[bold]spottedcat[/bold] - I'd forgotten about our slippery friend, I do hope there's no connection! Madasafish have been going at least since 1997 I think, as I saw CD's knocking around when I was at Uni.
[bold]Nigel[/bold] - Unfortunately most things in this world are tied up with someone disreputable, guess I'll have to just try not to think about this one! As far as the call centre, definitely English-sounding. Oddly enough one reason for me leaving Wanacharge was because they started charging me 17.99 for a 14.99 service...

Well, I'm signed up - I'll keep y'all posted.
crispibits
LXF regular

Postby crispibits » Fri Jul 21, 2006 12:12 pm

OK, so the [bold] tag isn't the right one to use... :-)
crispibits
LXF regular

Postby towy71 » Fri Jul 21, 2006 12:56 pm

is the one [b] it seems to work
still looking for that door into summer
towy71

Re: RE: Doing the broadband shuffle..

Postby nelz » Fri Jul 21, 2006 2:18 pm

crispibits wrote:I'd forgotten about our slippery friend, I do hope there's no connection!

He mentioned recently that he's with Wannadoo. He also mentioned that they keep cutting him off... so they're not all bad :D
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." (Albert Einstein)
nelz
Site admin

RE: Re: RE: Doing the broadband shuffle..

Postby nordle » Fri Jul 21, 2006 9:25 pm

Some people I know have been using madasafish since 1998, seems pretty good.

On the eclipse front, been using them since APR '04, been very good. Only recently had issue when going to maxdsl and this appears to have been a general BT issue with rolling out a service too early.

Just to prove a point:

Thats the adsl connection been up constantly with 1 IP for nearly 19 days solid. And the connection is as long as the LAN has been up, ie its been constant since I turned the router on again after being away for a while. Its reliable and pretty quick :)

Even though I live 600mtrs ish from the exchange, BT have rated this site as only a 2MB connection :(
With eclipse, Im getting 5.5MB. Not quite the 7 I was hoping for, but good enough.

Oh, no caps, no throttling and very low pings. Taking into account the 2-3ms it takes the wirless connection, i get anything from 6-15ms pings on BF2, and those servers are usually French, German and UK. Im normally in the top 5/40 lowest!

No ISP is perfect, but Im still with eclipse and see no reason to change except for an all in one cable packgage, and we can't get cable.
nordle
LXF regular

Return to Off Topic