Nice ads Apple

Help and discussion about non-Linux operating systems

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

Postby spottedcat » Mon Jun 05, 2006 8:18 pm

M0PHP wrote:Why pay through the nose for an Apple Crap when you could get an Evesham/AOpen Mini PC "components" for a lot less? :roll:

If you mean this, I'd be interested to know where you can get the bits for less than the £699. But now that the nano-itx board is nearly available, why not check out Hoojum, and particularly their planned Nanode? Hoojum supply made up units, but you can buy the bits from the suppliers linked from the Hoojum site - and then install Linux, of course. :)

I'd be seriously interested but I'm not too sure about a company that has a fetish for Barbie dolls. At least I hope that's a Barbie doll. If it's a real woman she urgently needs medical help.

BTW, what about the thread topic? Has anyone watched the videos?

Subsidiary thread topic. Nano-itx board, 12cm x 12cm. Suggestions for unusual/interesting cases to make unusual/interesting computers using a nano-itx board - running Linux, obviously. :wink:
spottedcat
LXF regular

Postby GMorgan » Mon Jun 05, 2006 8:56 pm

Wow that is tiny. My machine is like a server case it has 6 CD-ROM expansion bays (mostly empty now, I used to have a bunch of SCSI optical drives a while back) and is something like 2.5 feet tall. Never liked small machines though my current case is probably too big.
GMorgan
LXF regular

Postby Blåtann » Sat Jun 24, 2006 11:25 am

For work i´d sertainly go for a Mac.
A no tinker machine that really works.

Far games i´d go for Windows

For tinkering and learning i´d go for a PC with Linux (and a new distro every month :-)

For a server i´d SERTAINLY go for Linux, there is no reason for wasting cpu on a gui like in Win XP og Mac Os X
Blåtann

Postby Blåtann » Sat Jun 24, 2006 11:32 am

Heh.. the reason for saying PC is to sound familiar to most PC users.

Come to think of it, wouldn´t it be an advantage to Linux if most people refered to Windows (and not PC) when they anger over their bl*** crashing machines?

I have a Mac that hardly ever crash, a laptop that eventualy goes slow and needs a restart or crash (Win XP) and a PC that has never crashed (a Linux headless server).
Blåtann

Previous

Return to Other OS