Trusted Platform Module

For discussing Linux compatible (or not) devices

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

Trusted Platform Module

Postby altomkins » Fri Jun 02, 2006 8:50 pm

I have been saving up to buy a laptop and now am about to take the plunge with a Sony Vaio (SZ2VP)

But what is this TCG ver1.1b compliant Trusted Platform Module?

Half the stuff I read about it makes it sound ok, the other half sounds like its very sinister. But most of all what I want to know is if I buy a laptop with one of these in it will I be able to install and run linux? And how hard will it be? I have FC5 on my home PC and I love its ease of use with updates etc.

I was hoping to be able to boot off the DVD, and install FC5, as sson as I take delivery of the laptop. Am I worrying unduly? I hope you can put my mind at rest as I've got quite excited about the prospect of my new laptop now.

Thanks in advance
Al
altomkins

RE: Trusted Platform Module

Postby GMorgan » Fri Jun 02, 2006 8:59 pm

The biggest problem with TC is that it relies upon enlightened leadership. It certainly would give MS the power to do all the dark sinister 1984 type stuff that is mentioned. They claim they will not abuse this power of course.

So its really the question of whether you believe the innovators of embrace, extend, extinguish can be trusted to be little angels and not mess with peoples rights.

Personally I have a problem with any system that depends on enlightened leadership irrespective of who holds the power. That MS hold such a big stake just shows exactly why such systems are bad.

//edit - out of interest theres talk of some computers allowing you to disable the TCM in the bios, so check whether this is posible before you buy if your that concerned.//
GMorgan
LXF regular

Postby altomkins » Fri Jun 02, 2006 11:14 pm

Thanks I will check if it can be disabled, it would be great if I could disable it and use it like a normal laptop, but I doubt it can be. I am sceptical, because frankly I don't believe that MS is in it for anything other than the money (eg. make pirated XP etc not work) and so being able to switch it off would mean it was pointless putting their moeny into its developement.

But that is slightly an aside, what I don't know is wether the TC restrictions will impack me using Linux.

And if the TC can't be disabled, will that prevent me from installing and running Linux?

And how hard will it be to do?
altomkins

Postby GMorgan » Fri Jun 02, 2006 11:35 pm

Linux was the first to support a TPM but it doesn't actually do anything AFAIK. It's likely posible that Linux or other free operating systems could be blocked from your computer but that obviously depends on a lot of factors. Could the TCG get away with such a thing and since IBM are a member it seems unlikely.
GMorgan
LXF regular

Postby pins » Sat Jun 03, 2006 8:12 am

besides your original question: I have heard that vaios have a tendancy of falling apart - literally. I would recommend a dell as an alternative, I have one and it is solid.
pins
LXF regular

Postby altomkins » Sat Jun 03, 2006 11:06 am

Thanks, but the one I want is only 1.7kg in weight with a 2.16Ghz core duo, and I've not seen that anywhere else.... although of course if I can't run Linux it wont matter anyway.
altomkins

Postby Nigel » Sun Jun 04, 2006 12:12 am

You might want to take a look at this one as an alternative...
Hope this helps,

Nigel.
Nigel
LXF regular

Postby altomkins » Sun Jun 04, 2006 12:21 am

Thanks and that suggested laptop does look the business.

But I still don't now wether the TPM stops me running Linux. I'd like to know as I think its important, for example Knoppix not being able to run on systems with it.... Thanks again everyone, think I might stop here and post to the Help section instead as its less to do with specific harware than a general question.
altomkins

Postby Senguiku » Fri Jun 16, 2006 10:23 am

Hi, true that's kind of worry. i guess that in such a case you would have TPM deactivated to use Linux - not sure if this can help, maybe look at: http://www.prosec.rub.de/tpm/.
Well, the VAIO looks great, have to say.
Senguiku

Postby altomkins » Wed Jun 21, 2006 9:58 am

I didn't need to worry the SZ2VP arrived and the TPM is disabled in the bios by default.

So its all fine :)
altomkins

Return to Hardware