adsl-start as user?

The place to post if you need help or advice

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

adsl-start as user?

Postby Tyke » Fri May 20, 2005 8:48 am

I've recently switched to broadband, using a cheap ethernet modem. It works perfectly using rp-pppoe, but I'd rather not have to type "adsl-start" and "adsl-stop" in a root terminal every time I want to connect/disconnect. I'd like to have desktop or taskbar icon(s) which would run the commands for me without having to log in as root. Okay, so I'm lazy!

I've googled around for a solution, and it seems the best way to go is to use sudo - could anyone walk me through a simple way of going about it? I've read "man sudoers" but glazed over a bit at the Extended Backhaus-Naur Form thing.....

If it would be easier, I'm quite happy with changing permissions on the relevant bits of the program, but I'm not sure what I actually need to change. If anyone has done this, or can just point me in the right direction, I'd be very grateful.

Using Slackware 10.1 with KDE, by the way.

TIA, Dave
Tyke

RE: adsl-start as user?

Postby fairless » Fri May 20, 2005 12:32 pm

Can you not put a script in the KDE Autostart folder, or add an entry to /etc/rc.local? If you're using ADSL do you want to manually stop/start or do you want it to happen on boot/login? Neil
fairless

Postby Guest » Wed May 25, 2005 12:08 am

Well, eventually got it sorted. After a bit more in-depth Googling and much faffing about with visudo - why does vi have to be so counterintuitive? - I can now sudo adsl-start as user, and it was easy enough to put a couple of buttons in the KDE taskbar to connect/disconnect.

All I need now is some kind of applet to show I'm connected......... I'll keep Googling, I think. For now I'm content to have learned a little about sudo. :)

Postby Tyke » Wed May 25, 2005 12:09 am

Forgot to log in, dammit! That was me, of course.
Tyke

Postby towy71 » Wed May 25, 2005 8:14 am

Is the modem an independant unit? If so why do you need to start and stop it? I too have a cheap modem which is always on whether my computer is on or not, it makes no difference to your telephone or anything.

Dick
still looking for that door into summer
towy71

Postby nelz » Wed May 25, 2005 8:20 am

visudo doesn't have to use vi, it uses whatever is set in your $EDITOR environment variable.
Last edited by nelz on Wed Jun 01, 2005 12:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
nelz
Site admin

Postby Guest » Wed May 25, 2005 8:01 pm

Tyke, can you provide a break down on how you did it.

Postby bigblack » Wed Jun 01, 2005 11:03 am

Just out of interest, what ethernet card are you using?

I am soon going to go broadband, but I am more concerned about getting linux to work than windohs.

I am also using slackware 10.1.

cheers
bigblack

Return to Help!