Linux Format forums Forum Index Linux Format forums
Help, discussion, magazine feedback and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FC5 and Sagem Modem Please help

View previous topic :: View next topic  
JohnA1954

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2006 3:58 pm    Post subject: FC5 and Sagem Modem Please help Reply with quote

I am being driven to drink over installing drivers for Sagem F@ast800 modem in a clean install of FC5. I have tried every online help item I can find and eventually get to the last section and it falls apart. I have downloaded drvers from Sagem etc and have tried eagle-usb-1.9.8 and 2.3.2. Eagleconfig gave error messages re Kernel source not found so eventually found the one for my kernel (2.6.15-1.2054_FC5.src) and installed. Ran eagleconfig again, more seemed to happen but ended up with message 'error' this time not stating where the error was. It seems so close but still to a newbie miles away.
How can MS be ditched when basics seem so complicated in Linux? If anyone can help I would be very grateful

Thanks

John
towy71

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2006 4:08 pm    Post subject: RE: FC5 and Sagem Modem Please help Reply with quote

do yourself a favour and throw that piece of junk in the bin and get a proper modem/router with an ethernet connection ebuyer.com do them for around twenty quid and a network card for a couple of quid
JohnA1954

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2006 4:13 pm    Post subject: RE: FC5 and Sagem Modem Please help Reply with quote

I'd thought about that but having just spent a lot of dosh on hard drive/Mb and processor budget is overspent for a while. This is a popular piece of junk by all accounts shouldnt it 'just work' like everything else. That is one of the things I find fantastic about Linux, I use old (7+) machines at work and all Distros have set them up without a single hitch.

John
towy71

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2006 4:57 pm    Post subject: RE: FC5 and Sagem Modem Please help Reply with quote

there is a comprehensive pdf file from Sagem to install the linux drivers that are supplied on the CD that comes with the modem but if you haven't got that you can get it from here. The English is poor but then the guy writing it is French.
Old hardware is not a problem but IMHO USB for a network is not a very good idea Wink
JohnA1954

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2006 5:46 pm    Post subject: RE: FC5 and Sagem Modem Please help Reply with quote

Thanks Towy71,
I have seen this article before and proves my point about basics being complicated. I just want to get an Internet connection without any fuss. This is the third day at this and I do not like being beaten but it seems I will have to fork out for the modem/router you mentioned before.
If anyone else has thoughts on this I will give it a try.
Thanks

John
nelz
Site admin

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2006 8:34 pm    Post subject: RE: FC5 and Sagem Modem Please help Reply with quote

It works, and "just works" with some distros, but it will never work well, whether you runLinux or Windows. USB modems always run a lot slower than ethernet ones. Since you've got a nice fast new system courtesy of the new bits, why cripple its Internet connection with the ADSL modem equivalent of a 486?
coolclassic
LXF regular

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2006 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have used this modem before on suse and kubutu and it worked ok, I now use a ethernet modem.

Try this web sight it has a mass of info to compile the software:
http://forum.eagle-usb.org/viewforum.php?f=7
JohnA1954

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2006 9:08 pm    Post subject: RE: FC5 and Sagem Modem Please help Reply with quote

At this stage I don't mind about the speed I just want it to work, which it is not at the moment. The speed has been OK under W-----s, that is not the issue here, I live in an area where max is 512. How many others are there out there in the same position? Don't get me wrong I am pushing Linux at work (School) where connection to LAN is no problem. Now I want to be able to experiment at home so that I can expand it further but it's harder than I expected.
Money will have to be spent.
Thanks for your input everyone

JOhn
towy71

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2006 10:09 pm    Post subject: RE: FC5 and Sagem Modem Please help Reply with quote

Reading through the thread posted by coolclassic I found this which seems clearer than the original thread
HTH
comcamel
LXF regular

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have got the same modem and "had" it working on suse 10.0, but after suse 10.1 got a new kernel, they had to include a newer version of eagle usb that used firmware in it, therefore it didn't work, aswell as trying the way I did it on suse 10.0. Therefore I am going to try with dapper tonight, as I just got it installed today to replace suse 10.1.
towy71

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

throw away that junk get a proper modem/router that plugs into an ethernet port
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Linux Format forums Forum Index -> Hardware All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: