Moving - collection has to go!

Comments, suggestions and questions about Linux Format magazine and the coverdiscs

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

Postby dmoc » Thu May 26, 2005 3:16 pm

Essential resource but need to lighten the load...

58 issues:

2000: 9 issues + cd's : 1..9
2001: 13 issues + cd's : 10..22
2002: 13 issues + dvd's: 23..35
2003: 13 issues + dvd's: 36..48
2004: 10 issues + dvd's: 49..58

Prefer to sell as one lot if poss. Reasonable offers accepted. Essex based. Buyer collects or pays p&p.
dmoc

RE: Moving - collection has to go!

Postby Nigel » Thu May 26, 2005 4:17 pm

Don't suppose you've got the pilot issue, "Linux Answers", have you ? That would complete my collection...
Hope this helps,

Nigel.
Nigel
LXF regular

Postby dmoc » Fri May 27, 2005 12:46 pm

Sorry Nigel, unless that was issue #1 I don't think so.
dmoc

Postby Nigel » Fri May 27, 2005 1:05 pm

Ah well, it was worth a try. I have issue #1 right through to #68 but I missed Linux Answers.
I guess it'll turn up on ebay sooner or later.
Hope this helps,

Nigel.
Nigel
LXF regular

Postby Phil_Friel » Sun May 29, 2005 5:32 pm

Nigel,

I have an extra copy of Linux Answers buried somewhere in storage. It'll take a while to find it, but if you're interested, email me your full name and address details and I'll fire it off to you once I've found it.

Phil
Phil_Friel

Postby Nigel » Sun May 29, 2005 8:50 pm

Hi Phil,

have sent details in a private message to you.

Many thanks :D :D :D :D :D
Hope this helps,

Nigel.
Nigel
LXF regular

Postby Phil_Friel » Tue May 31, 2005 1:33 am

Hi Nigel,

The message never got through at my end for some reason. Could you resend?

Phil
Phil_Friel

Postby Nigel » Tue May 31, 2005 8:20 am

Hi Phil,

check your Private Messages after logging on to this forum - if you're using the default orange theme there's an (almost invisible) link in the bar across the top of the page. Unfortunately, it doesn't forward it to your proper email address, so you have to pick it up from this site.

I've sent a second message just in case the first one got lost somewhere in the system.
Hope this helps,

Nigel.
Nigel
LXF regular

Postby Phil_Friel » Tue May 31, 2005 9:21 am

Nigel,

Oops - I was keeping an eye on my home email account, and was blissfully unaware of the private messages thingie in this forum until your last message. Spot the forum newbie! I've found both messages and have taken note of your details.

No charge for the mag - it's just taking up space. It's been so long since it came out that I honestly can't remember if there was a CD with it, but if there was, I'll also have a spare copy of that somewhere, although it'll be even harder to dig out than the mag (I have all my old stuff stored away in boxes - please bear with me).

To be honest, a CD that old wouldn't contain anything of much use to current Linux users, unless there are some articles or tutorials on it. Open source software is developed at such a rate that I find that much of the cover disk software is out-of-date almost as soon as the mag hits the stands. A good broadband connection for downloading the newest software is much more important (however, if you're on dial-up...). The cover disks are a bonus, but the mags themselves are way more important.

But if you really want it, you can have it (if there was one - I'll find that out when I dig out the magazine). If you're an obsessive completist (like me). you'll definitely have to have it. :D

I'll let you know when I find the mag.

Phil
Phil_Friel

Postby Nigel » Tue May 31, 2005 9:41 am

Hi Phil,

many, many thanks :D :D :D :D :D

At least let me cover the postage...

Yeah, I'm the obsessive completist type as well... collected the entire set of "Classic Carry On" films/mags, even though less than half of them will ever come out of the DVD cases a second time.

Now all we need is another collector to make dmoc an offer for his collection... :)
Hope this helps,

Nigel.
Nigel
LXF regular

Postby towy71 » Tue May 31, 2005 1:32 pm

FYI the disk that came with LinuxAnswers has RedHat 6 and Wordperfect 8 and loads of tutorials (he said smuggly looking at his collection) ;-)
Dick
still looking for that door into summer
towy71

Postby Phil_Friel » Tue May 31, 2005 4:33 pm

Well, that answers the question of whether or not Linux Answers had a cover disk. My memory must be going a bit hazy in my old age. :D :D

I also buy another Future Publishing mag - Computer Music - of which I also have a complete collection, with the exception of Issue 76. I'm doing my nut in trying to find a copy of that one complete with cover disk.

Have any of you guys been to www.tuxmagazine.com? It's the first issue of a PDF/online magazine for Linux beginners. Looks good, and is a free download.

Phil
Phil_Friel

Postby Rhakios » Tue May 31, 2005 6:57 pm

Second issue now actually. I think I mentioned it on the old forums. Originally it was to be a print magazine, but they changed their minds, perhaps not enough people bit at the first subscription offer.
Bye, Rhakios
Rhakios

Re: RE: Moving - collection has to go!

Postby M-Saunders » Tue May 31, 2005 9:50 pm

Phil_Friel wrote:I also buy another Future Publishing mag - Computer Music - of which I also have a complete collection, with the exception of Issue 76. I'm doing my nut in trying to find a copy of that one complete with cover disk.

This chap/chapette seems to have it, although you'd have to buy an almighty stack of other issues too :)

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... 6962359527

If the auction ends with zero bids, it might be worth contacting the seller and seeing if you can buy 76 separately.

(PS: I have two copies of Linux Answers, but I plan to seal one in a concrete bunker under Wales, vacuum wrapped and laid gently on a silk pillow in an iron box)

Mike
M-Saunders
LXF regular

RE: Re: RE: Moving - collection has to go!

Postby Phil_Friel » Wed Jun 01, 2005 8:36 am

Rhakios,

Thanks for the info on TUX #2. It must've come out recently, as #1 was still the current issue when I was last there (two or three weeks ago).

I've been following the magazine since way before its publication, and was quite miffed when the print edition was shelved (I'll always prefer print magazines and books to electronic ones), and when Marcel Gagné pulled out of the project (one of the best Linux writers). I would've paid for that one.

Still, a free electronic download PDF mag is not to be dismissed lightly. Must remember to get on www.tuxmagazine.com later this evening to grab #2...

Phil
Phil_Friel

Next

Return to Magazine and coverdiscs