Linux Format forums Forum Index Linux Format forums
Help, discussion, magazine feedback and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

should paying subscribers put up with pop-ups & ads from
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Linux Format forums Forum Index -> This Website
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MartyBartfast
LXF regular

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="M-Saunders"]
M0PHP wrote:

It's my job to add these new features and run the site day-to-day, and the money has to come from somewhere.

Mike

You mean you actually get paid? I thought you did it for pleasure, 'cos you love us all so much Wink
ollie

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2006 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you don't like popups use Firefox or Opera (I'm assuming that, like me, getting IE running on Linux is not the idea of Linux) and disable popups. Firefox shows a small icon in the lower right corner when popups are blocked. I don't disable ads (Flash or otherwise) at home because it costs money to run web sites and all sources of income are welcome. They are quite often blocked during my day job using Squid and squidGuard as part of the filtering required by the Education Department - but that is different.

IMHO there is only one reason for a popup - when requested by the user at an online bank (or similar) so that the session is secure and is killed at the end of online banking by closing the window.
GeoNorth

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2006 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't mind ads, as long as they're not intrusive and relate to the topic at hand (as per the esteemed Amiga Format carrying mostly ads from PD houses, Silica Systems and Cloanto... ah the heady days of my childhood) and I only use Adblock (when in Firefox, I haven't quite worked out something similar for Konq) on ads that annoy me.

However pop-ups are the second most annoying thing I've ever witnessed... after Flash ads that make a point of invading the page you're viewing - banners, regardless of what format they're in have their own little space on the page and they should stay there once they grow beyond their box they're like billboards jump into the pavement and accost you or having that git out of the Halifax adverts turn up in the middle of a dramtic scene in your favourite programme to sell you a mortgage. 3 have given me another reason to never do business with them as long as I live...
jjmac
LXF regular

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could try a proxy blocker like junkbuster or privoxy. The privoxy config is a little clearer than junkbusters'. Only thing is to remember to let cookies pass for selected sites otherwise you go into a login loop. I don't think i can remember what a popup or add looks like any more (slight exaggeration).

jm
Humpty Dumpty Was Pusshed !
(probably by a rouge dd)

The FVWM wm -=- www.fvwm.org -=-

Somebody stole my air guitar, It happened just the other day,
But it's ok, 'cause i've got a spare ...
GMorgan
LXF regular

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have 2 rules with ads
1. Don't use Flash
2. Don't use bitmaps (or other unnecessaryily uncompressed formats, tends not to happen much these days).

If a site breaks either I tend to block everything. I don't mind a few simple advertisements but the bloat I can do without and blocking everything on a site that breaks the rules will encourage good practices and less wasted bandwidth.

As for advertising on this site. I don't mind so much but I don't think Flash adverts will be as potent on a site like this anyway. Essentially people who turn to Linux are more likely to see through Flash anyway.
jjmac
LXF regular

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I only block because of bandwidth. Sometimes i like to go up to the local "Dick Smith" shop (large computer/electronic mart) and use their free net access. Just to look at all the adds. But i think that tends to beg the sensibilities a bit really.

jm
Humpty Dumpty Was Pusshed !
(probably by a rouge dd)

The FVWM wm -=- www.fvwm.org -=-

Somebody stole my air guitar, It happened just the other day,
But it's ok, 'cause i've got a spare ...
wyliecoyoteuk
LXF regular

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="shifty_ben"]
Quote:

coming across a site that discussed the possibility of speakers being placed inside silicon implants Very Happy Ridiculous but a good laugh.

What's so ridiculous about wanting good stereo in bed?
(So bored, I'm reading the back catalogue- god I hate computers)

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Linux Format forums Forum Index -> This Website All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: